ive got these questions that ive gotta put into an essay on the catcher int the rye (j d salinger) and i dont know where to even begin with them:

"catcher in the rye is more than a novel. it is an accurate picture of adolescence, an autobiography and a rich social observation"
  • challenge the structure of the novel and explain why?
  • discuss the kind of picture of adolescence portrayed in the novel and explain that it is a metaphore
  • describe those aspects of Salinger's life which are reflected in the novel eg war services, recluse
  • connect the historical and social context of America 1950's to the novel
  • evaluate the Salinger's effectiveness in representing the age/ the times.

NB. for every contention you must describe Salingers techniques. Eg Salinger uses X technique to illustrate Y about Holden which is also a metaphor for the state of the nation.

yeah... so i have no idea how to answer ANY of the parts to that question. any help is greatly appreciated
Quote by Machanix
We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money Back!

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far
Than A Wise And Productive Old Age

Good Girls Go To Heaven, But The Bad Girls Go Everywhere!
i've read Catcher in The Rye twice, it's one of my favorite books, but hoestly i don't haven any idea how to help you with that. You could check website like pinkmonkey to see if their summaries or analysis helps with any of that though.
Quote by Prophet of Page
If Hendrix, Clapton and Page were to jam, the most impressive guitarist playing would be Paul Gilbert.

Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

member of the Mitch Hedberg pwns club pm Knives490 to join
wow. im guessing ur around 15 yrs old if ur reading that book now for school. If u don't noe how to incoporate those questions into an essay u either
1. didnt read the book
2. didnt pay attention in class
3. havent paid any attention the past 15 yrs of schooling
4. jus plain lazy

im guessing u didnt read the book and ur jus plain lazy.

DO UR OWN WORK. u'll never learn.
i epiphanies

Quote by Sinforsale

i wasnt aware that you could use one hand...DEL seems pretty far away from CTRL and ALT

oh wait...
I love this book so much too, but these questions are worded very oddly...

I feel like I could help you with bullet two if it were explained bettter....
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
sparknotes is ur friend
Failure is a far greater teacher than success.
Unified

Gear:
Schecter C-1
Peavey Classic 30
Roland Cube 30
DD-3
Ibanez WD-7
Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive
Quote by apbumsta
wow. im guessing ur around 15 yrs old if ur reading that book now for school. If u don't noe how to incoporate those questions into an essay u either
1. didnt read the book
4. jus plain lazy

Irony to the max.
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
I dont like the look of those questions much, its one of my favorite books ever and yeah, im sure theres aspects of social commentary but i love it for the story.

Where possible a lot of these questions can be answered using common sense and your own personal opinion, for instance in relation to the "historical and social context of America 1950's" you could just include all references to the time period, Holden going to see the rockettes on broadway for instance, as well as more obscure ones such as movies he went to see, books he was reading, as well as more obvious ones such as the way New York society is depicted throughout, from the way people dress to the way they conduct themselves in social situations, as well as language and slang utilized.

As for how effective these are, use a mixtue of your opinion and examples from the book, either example you feel work well or those that you dont, the same goes for the last part, about his effectiveness in representing the age or the times. although make sure you are much less superficial than what i just said, theres much deeper social commentary relating to actual political and social circumstances, and thats what the markers will be looking for. a bit of research on this will be easy enough im sure.

As for the part about parodying salingers real life experiences with those of the book, thats fairly simple, he served in World War 2 and saw a lot of action, even serving as a prisoner of war interrogater, although it can be argued that there are much more obvious examples of the effect this had on his writing career than catcher in the rye. and as for hm being a recluse? you can use common sense for that too, theres obvious comparisons between Salinger as his real self and holden caulfield.

Also overall, when describing saligners techniques and any contentions you have within the novel, try not to become bogged down in too much pretentious academic analyzing, keep it simple in terms of how you may dissect any literature, stay with the basics but keep them concise and relevant and you will be fine.

Hope this helps!
Diezel, Motherfucker
I won't be of much help; I hated Catcher in the Rye. It seems to me Holden Caulfield is just an emo kid running around complaining about how his life sucks for the duration of a book.
Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by PatchworkMan
I won't be of much help; I hated Catcher in the Rye. It seems to me Holden Caulfield is just an emo kid running around complaining about how his life sucks for the duration of a book.

Thats what I got out of the book too.
Quote by apbumsta
1. didnt read the book
4. jus plain lazy

lol
Veteran UGer. Suck it.
Quote by apbumsta
1. didnt read the book
4. jus plain lazy

What an asshole. He was just asking for help, not for us to write the entire essay for him.
*This Space For Rent*
Quote by PatchworkMan

I dunno, I hate when people talk about how Holden's life was like everyone elses. Its not, there was something seriously ****ed up with him, like anxiety or something. Most teenagers today act exactly like the people he hated, like those two kids he roomed with (drawing a blank).

I mean, for some reason I could relate to him because I hate people and I can't get past all the terrible things that they do just for their own good, but hardly anyone else my age is like that.

Its a good book, makes you think.
Quote by PinkIsCool
Yes, but it's a FACT that most metal artists have more musicainship and technical skill than pretty much all rappers.
Quote by instagata0
ive got these questions that ive gotta put into an essay on the catcher int the rye (j d salinger) and i dont know where to even begin with them:

"catcher in the rye is more than a novel. it is an accurate picture of adolescence, an autobiography and a rich social observation"
  • challenge the structure of the novel and explain why?
  • discuss the kind of picture of adolescence portrayed in the novel and explain that it is a metaphore
  • describe those aspects of Salinger's life which are reflected in the novel eg war services, recluse
  • connect the historical and social context of America 1950's to the novel
  • evaluate the Salinger's effectiveness in representing the age/ the times.

NB. for every contention you must describe Salingers techniques. Eg Salinger uses X technique to illustrate Y about Holden which is also a metaphor for the state of the nation.

yeah... so i have no idea how to answer ANY of the parts to that question. any help is greatly appreciated

Hey your from Newcastle too, what school do you go to? I did this book in Yr11 too but i really didnt like it or do very well at it. HSC English sucks. I'll have a look for my yr11 Catcher in the Rye Notes for you. I might have some useful stuff for you to look over.

Quote by PatchworkMan

+1
Quote by lachyray
do you reckon straight edge people ever get temped to drink alcahole,
when really want to but they know they can't so they just dont?