how do you, specifically, form your power chords, and how do you, specifically play them? do you mute the other strings and just play all six?

me, finger the...say I wanna do a G power chord...

I'll put my fingertip on G on the low E, and mute everything below with the pointer finger, then I'll put my ring finger on D, and my pinky on the next G...and then play all six strings..is that wrong?
That sounds right. I know that basic power chords are formed from the root note, the 5th and the octave, usually three notes. Different music calls for differents setups though
yes. mute the other strings that arent fretted down. technically you can play the open G string but not the B or high E. you can only play the 1 and the 5 of the power chord for it to be a power chord. for a G it would be G and D which is how the open G can fit in. its not a power chord if you implement notes other than the 1 and 5.
A power chord is a root and a fifth. Nothing more.
If that makes no sense, consult the theory sticky.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
There are a couple power chord shapes, you are talking about a G5 which would be G on the Low E, and D on the A string, and G on the D. Which is the 3rd fret on E, and the 5th on the A and D, I usually bar the A and D strings for speed, but playing all three with different fingers works, and then you just play those 3 notes.
ahh..well, I guess by power chord I meant power chord plus octave of the root. But..my question is, do most people mute the other strings and play all the strings, or do they have the ability to just hit the three they want?
power chords can incorporate the octave and theyre the same thing. you dont have to play all the strings. its about control so that youll only hit the three you want. if your having trouble then keep working on hitting just those three strings and youll get better. just dont hit your pick across all the strings. just hit the three that you want and lift the pick up from the strings.
Are power chords used as much as tabbers tend to say they are? Cause, I've been looking at video footage of bands...in this case Relient K...and those don't look like powerchords...I think...but most tabs are loaded with Powerchords for them...also this guy I was talking to mention Relient K doesn't use many power chords...so, yeah, I'm a tad confused.
Quote by singscreams
Are power chords used as much as tabbers tend to say they are? Cause, I've been looking at video footage of bands...in this case Relient K...and those don't look like powerchords...I think...but most tabs are loaded with Powerchords for them...also this guy I was talking to mention Relient K doesn't use many power chords...so, yeah, I'm a tad confused.

Why don't you try to add a major 3rd, minor 3rd, 2nd or 4th interval to chords (not the same one to every chord, but whatever belongs where) and see how that sounds? Because if you think a tab is wrong you should try and figure it out yourself.
man ive always done powerchords with only my index and ring only

just realized its the wrong way to do it

sounds come out fine though
      i just hit only 2 or three
      Quote by beadhangingOne
      There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
      Well to answer your question, most people can hit just the 3, and some tabs are wrong, and alot of bands do play power chords.
      I only play the root and the 5th, I don't bother with the octave.
      Gear:
      Fender Diamond Anniversary Stratocaster
      Washburn Dime V Pro
      Peavy Bandit 112
      Fender Frontman 15R

A few of my originals can be found at

www.bebo.com/artificial-reality