Which guitar in terms of sound, tone, pickups, etc. is better for a person who plays alot of heavy metal?

I heard the Les Paul Studio has P-90 humbuckers which aren't good for metal, but im not very educated on those types of things so I would appreciate it if someone could let me know which is better.
My guitar is not a thing. It is an extension of myself. It is who i am.
Quote by silentscope1234
Which guitar in terms of sound, tone, pickups, etc. is better for a person who plays alot of heavy metal?

I heard the Les Paul Studio has P-90 humbuckers which aren't good for metal, but im not very educated on those types of things so I would appreciate it if someone could let me know which is better.

It doesn't have p-90s... idk why anyone would say that.

as far as metal, they're both good, but I'd recommend a pickup swap for both of them.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Les Pauls (unless you're Page, Wylde, or Slash) are useless from 15 up. From that stand point alone, I'd suggest an SG. That, and Gibson SGs tend to have hotter pickups on'm.

the SG from what I've seen is just a more comfortable guitar to play, the neck coming right off the body, instead of being set in so deep, gives you more access to the upper frets without jacking up your wrist position.
Quote by RageNRepublican
Les Pauls (unless you're Page, Wylde, or Slash) are useless from 15 up. From that stand point alone, I'd suggest an SG. That, and Gibson SGs tend to have hotter pickups on'm.

the SG from what I've seen is just a more comfortable guitar to play, the neck coming right off the body, instead of being set in so deep, gives you more access to the upper frets without jacking up your wrist position.

That's. Really. Not. True...

I can reach the 22 fret with no problems, it is easier on an SG, but saying they are useless is a total exaggeration.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Hmmm... a battle between the LP and ths SG? I wonder which one I'll say I like (look at my name). Anyway, both are very good guitars, but I prefer the SG 61 reissue over the Les Paul. It is important to note that I am not talking about the standard Sg, just the 61 reissue, as it is simply a better instrument. My main gripes about the les paul are it's weight, the poor access to any frets past 15, but something that a lot of people don't mention is the very fat neck of the LP. Some people like this, but I prefer to have a thin neckthat is faster. The 61 reissue is better, because it is very light, has a tone I happen to like better, especially for hard rock and early metal, and the neck joint is AFTER the 22nd fret. I could play the 22nd fret with my index finger without bending my hand hardly. The neck is faster, the pickups in the 61 are better than the pickups in the LP or the Standard SG, better crunch when you need it, and can clean up like no other. Just to show it off once, I kicked on a Boss MT-2 on 3/4 distortion on the high gain channel of my amp, turned the volume on the guitar down, and at was a good blues tone, but left on full, Even when I muted the string there was still feedback and when playing I hit a harmonic, when to go get a coke, came back a minute later and it was still going. Overall, I love the sound of SG's and am one of the few who doesn't love LP's as I don't like the maple twang they have, although the sustain is admirable
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
i would say get the les paul and change the p-ups. It's going to have a so much fuller sound, most likely alot of sustain, and alot more low end.
Quote by RageNRepublican

I can hit the low e on 22nd fret on my LP pretty easily... my hands aren't exactly big either. Just takes some stretching and time to get used to.

Both would be good for metal. Try them both out and see which one you like.