I'm in a hardcore punk / progressive metal band and we want to start adding some more screaming dynamics to our music. I try screaming but I can't do it long and sometimes it makes my throat hurt real bad and I start coughing and screw up. I know I need to learn how to do it properly.

Does anyone know where I could find stuff on properly screaming, and also how to improve the length of my scream?
Member #7 of the "...Still Waiting for the Zombie Holocaust" club. PM Smokey Amp to join.

Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all
Radiate, recognize one silent call
As we all form one dark flame...
Incinerate!
do it from your stomach, not your throat
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
if it hurts youre not doing it right
you should be able to properly scream all day with out hurting one bit or even losing your voice
heres an article right on UG http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the_guide_to/the_art_of_screaming.html

and also check out a DVD called The Zen of Screaming, its a good set of lessons and stuff by this lady that trained most likely all the singers of bands that you like
yeah
Yeah, we're influenced by like, Isis, Tool, Dream Theater, older AFI, Rise Against, Billy Talent, Propagandhi, Opeth, Nile... most of our songs sound rather different from one another, but we usually stick more to the metal side.

Do you guys have any advice for me, instead of redirecting me to websites? How can I increase lung capacity (I want to be able to hold my scream out forever, like the end of "The Grudge" by Tool).
Member #7 of the "...Still Waiting for the Zombie Holocaust" club. PM Smokey Amp to join.

Incinerate!
screaming is one of the things that is killing rock today. get your act together buddy
Quote by clincher09
you win

Quote by Vornik
..Are you wearing a pokemon hat?

Quote by Schmietty
+1 for what looks like a Pokemon hat.
I think that senseless screaming or screaming through a whole song is dumb, but a scream here or there is great for conveying strong emotion - just look at MJK. He rarely screams, but when he does, it's a serious ****in' "I'm a pissed-off mother-****er" vibe you get out of hime because he doesn't overuse it.

Incinerate!