Page 1 of 4
So today I was in the band room during a free period at school. I was playing some blues guitar and this one kid across the room turns up his amp freaking loud and starts to play some heavy metal shit. I don't really care cause I can hear myself fine and ill just let him be a dick. So I start playing Lenny by SRV and all the gay little A7x fanboys are in a circle listening to this other kid play. Then one of the guys that was watching him play turns my amp off and says "Why is he getting drowned out by the bluesy shit!" I felt actually kind of insulted that someone could say that about my favorite genre. So then my friend Jack starts commented all the odd faces I make when I play guitar and how much feeling I have and we have a laugh. So then the other guitarist just starts shredding this what sounded like a synester gates solo and then says "OWNED".

Is it just me or did the guitar go from an instrument to express emotion to a "lets see how fast, loud, distorted you can play"?
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

the world is a horrible place,...tis the same at my school. i dont even try out for the shows cause noone respects the blues and i know i will get carried away with my band and we WILL do a twenty minute jam. were just too real for them...

EDIT: and the face thing...i do that too...people make fun of me...they say "ZOMG you make funny faces!!!111!11!" and i just say "that means i must be doin something right eh?"
I feel ya man, the only thing most people seem to care about is how fast they can play, its like all other dynamic are eliminated...

What part of St. Louis are you from?
Follow me on instagram @createdaily
+1. shred is a great thing to be able to do but when its overused and not used musically its annoying. blues sounds better anyways
You can express emotion by playing loud and distorted too....it's just using a few more notes. I agree with you though, speed/distortion doesn't make one guitarist better than another.
Quote by Sanitarium24
My guitar tells me when it hurts.

Yeah, mine does too, I had to put a band-aid on the 11 fret cause I hurt it while playing
Member #4 of the iPods Suck Balls Club.
PM Oblivious16037 to join!

Quote by basssoldier
when i was 7 i saw my mom naked while taking a sh** it was pretty sick cuz shes fat....

Quote by Soul Power
Your my hero dementedpuppy.

Last.fm
POOP
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
So then the other guitarist just starts shredding
O RLY?

And I would kick someone's ass if they turned my amp off and say that I suck.
Your right. I was doing something similar, I was just chilling by myself, playing some SRV, and Hendrix in the music room at school, suddenly some guy comes in with like 4 friends, he s up his little crappy amp, then starts to play. He sucked, but his friends thought he was good (I couldn't tell what he was playing, it sure was metal though, if not horrible hard rock) and then he decided, hey, lets take my amp (I have a JCM 800) and just play without any concern of his thoughts. they did. I broke his tuner and kicked the sh ize out of his amp.
"Guitarmen, wake up and pluck wire for sound, let 'em hear you play"
-Charlie Christian
"You have to give people something to dream on"
-Jimi Hendrix
"I try to make any guitar do what I want it to do"
-Slash
i can't believe people do this, i mean, blues isnt the only thing on guitar, but it seems like heavy metal and hard, fast, solo's/shredding is all anyone wants to play. i personally like to play anything that poses a challenge to me personally. it dont matter if its techno or rock or blues, or jazz, or any other genre, as long as its a test of my abilities. People now are just doing it to try to make them look cool.
Not nessesary true. It just seems alot of metal has taken popularity in regards to what is considered 'good' guitar playing. There is still, however, plenty of emotive guitar playing out there.
You mention SRV who is a blues player, and blues is naturally a more emotionally driven style of guitar playing. What many people don't realise is there is still alot of great blues musicians around today...young and old.
After just recently seeing Eric Clapton in concert is realise that it is not a dead artform, and he had two great young blues guitarists accompanying him.
It's just that blues isn't as popular and regarded as it once was.
Quote by mercedesisbenz
I feel ya man, the only thing most people seem to care about is how fast they can play, its like all other dynamic are eliminated...

What part of St. Louis are you from?

West County, i go to De Smet if you know where that is
My Gear:
Epiphone Sheraton II
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Quote by Atomic_gerbil
I bet the fag was wearing a glove on his picking hand.
Yeah, keeping your hands warm is for people who like it up the ass.
dude i hate people like that. i mean sure i love shredding its fun. but you just cant shred all the time. it like... makes it old and boring and then it loses all of its expression
If i could, id change my user name!
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
So today I was in the band room during a free period at school. I was playing some blues guitar and this one kid across the room turns up his amp freaking loud and starts to play some heavy metal shit. I don't really care cause I can hear myself fine and ill just let him be a dick. So I start playing Lenny by SRV and all the gay little A7x fanboys are in a circle listening to this other kid play. Then one of the guys that was watching him play turns my amp off and says "Why is he getting drowned out by the bluesy shit!" I felt actually kind of insulted that someone could say that about my favorite genre. So then my friend Jack starts commented all the odd faces I make when I play guitar and how much feeling I have and we have a laugh. So then the other guitarist just starts shredding this what sounded like a synester gates solo and then says "OWNED".

Is it just me or did the guitar go from an instrument to express emotion to a "lets see how fast, loud, distorted you can play"?

High School = Fake nonsenseable stupidity

I went through it to buddy. Don't get too worked up over it. When you get to the real world you'll soon learn that the older people get the more they realize how retarted they were back in high school.
On the Subject of Hitlers resemblance to Emos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muphin
No. Emos can't grow facial hair, not to mention their inability to invade Poland
dude lenny is much harder than any metal stuff. If some dude turned off my amp he would definitly get his Azz kicked! then if a guy says that he owned me...i cant even say
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle

Yeah man I used to hang out with a bunch of people that go to de smet. I go to Oakville in south county.
Follow me on instagram @createdaily
Get a amp thats alot louder...problem solved.

But i feel your pain

We blues improvises need to stick together!
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Wow that story somewhat pisses me off. I can't believe kids these days, having no respect for Blues.

On a side note: Were you using your Sheraton when you were playing this?
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

PM Soulfly_freak or sock_demon to join
If you see a kid like that, just ignore him, but if he comes and fiddles with your amp or guitar then pop him in the jaw.
666 BRO
i hate blues. i live and breathe metal. everyone with any sense knows that metal is the only good type of music and everything else sucks. blah blah blah. blues blues blues.
The thing I hate is that my band is a lot like that. Less about feel, and more about... I dunno. My drummer justs plays, not sure why. Then the singer's in it for girls, money, fame, blah blah. Then I'm not so sure about my bassist. I don't think he likes it for the feeling of just playing, but he's not a materialistic, get-rich-quick sorta jerk. But yeah, and so I never get to play the blues at practice. Damn.
EDIT: ^You damn well better be sarcastic.
Quote by S0ulja23
Wow that story somewhat pisses me off. I can't believe kids these days, having no respect for Blues.

On a side note: Were you using your Sheraton when you were playing this?

oooooooooh yea

i was using the sheraton through my schools blues junior
My Gear:
Epiphone Sheraton II
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Yea dude, its like that in the practice with the band, except there is no one around to see it. The lead guitar hates all the rythym I come up with and calls it sad and says I need to play happy stuff. He always turns his amp a lot louder so it drowns out our poor little bassits amp, and mine, just because I don't like to go above 5 on my amp. The way I see it you can't choose what music you play, the music you play chooses you. Tell him to get a job, and all his music shows is showoffedness(i hope thats a word.)
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
oooooooooh yea

i was using the sheraton through my schools blues junior

:O

That's my exact same setup right now.

I know this is a completely irrelevant post, but what EQ settings did you use?
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

i dont see anything wrong with metal, its just that kid and his friends were gay

plus a7x arent metal, there gay theres a difference
Member #8 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join
Quote by S0ulja23
:O

That's my exact same setup right now.

I know this is a completely irrelevant post, but what EQ settings did you use?

I dont know the exact settings but I had my bass and mids high and my treble around 5.
My Gear:
Epiphone Sheraton II
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
I dont know the exact settings but I had my bass and mids high and my treble around 5.

Neck Pickup? Cause when I have my mids high while on my neck pup, it sounds a bit muddy.

Quote by S0ulja23
Neck Pickup? Cause when I have my mids high while on my neck pup, it sounds a bit muddy.

yup, neck pickup and it sounded good for me
My Gear:
Epiphone Sheraton II
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle

Theres a mall up there isnt there?
wow, what a douschebag, i hate little closeminded kids like that, metals great but if it werent for blues we wouldnt have metal around... its just highschool though, you cant take much of that shit to heart
Quote by Sanitarium24
i hate blues. i live and breathe metal. everyone with any sense knows that metal is the only good type of music and everything else sucks. blah blah blah. blues blues blues.

you sir have no penis...unless that was sarcasm in which case you can have your penis privilege back.
My Rig:

Guitars:
Schecter C-1 Classic (Deep Sea Green)
Jackson DK2M Snow White Edition
BC Rich Mockingbird Special X

Amps:
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 212
Roland Microcube

RIP Kevin Robert Swerdfiger
September 15 1991 - May 16 2008
Blues player for life!

Edit: Reminds me of when I told my ex that I like jazz, blues, and rock. She said the first two I mentioned should burn. I just sighed and walked away. MUSIC TODAY WOULDN'T BE THE SAME REALLY IF THERE WAS NO JAZZ OR BLUES. People should at least respect those genres.
SPACE FOR RENT
Last edited by Rock'N'Soul at Mar 17, 2007,
I play everything from Thrash to Christian rock, Blues included.
Im actually much better at blues and plain rock than I am metal, But Im workin on it.
I dont think you can express much emotion with a solo you yourself didnt write or improv personally, so I lean towards a bluesy metal, Ala zak wylde. Or a Jimi hendrix meets Eddie van halen sorta thing.
Personally, I just ignore those bitches, but it helps to be able to tear them up by playing better sometimes, it certainly shuts them up.

I dunno about you, but personally I dont think guitar's lost its feeling, Its just that more people play and dilute it, If you look hard you'll still find it.

Steve vai's a shred/metal guitarist, got as much feeling and possibly more wierd faces then any other guitarist Ive ever seen.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
Yes, let's put down his taste in metal and say that our taste in blues is better! That isn't hypocritical in the slightest!

Guitar hasn't lost any feeling in the slightest, and it's foolish to think such a thing.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Page 1 of 4