when i record i have to CRANK my amp and my mic still hardly picks up. Its run directly into the computer without a pre amp or mixer (on a budget). My question is is there a way to make my mic pick up like WAY more without buying a preamp or mixer. Is it possible to run the mic from a practice amp or a pedal to the comp just to get that power boost?
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by soul_power
when i record i have to CRANK my amp and my mic still hardly picks up. Its run directly into the computer without a pre amp or mixer (on a budget). My question is is there a way to make my mic pick up like WAY more without buying a preamp or mixer. Is it possible to run the mic from a practice amp or a pedal to the comp just to get that power boost?

If you have windows, you can go into the sound settings and adjust the input levels.

Go buy a Logitech USB mic... it's great for only 30 bucks.
what kind of mic are you using, and how are you connecting it to the computer exactly? if its a condensor mic, you are going to need phantom power. if it is dynamic (probably is) you may need to get some form of mic preamp to give the signal a boost. running it to the line in wouldnt work, but the mic in would give a louder signal. of course the quality of the A-D converters in your soundcard are probably lacking a bit, which can cause lack of quality and some lack of volume.

so if you could specify your setup a bit more, it would be easier to help you out.
Quote by jof1029
what kind of mic are you using, and how are you connecting it to the computer exactly? if its a condensor mic, you are going to need phantom power. if it is dynamic (probably is) you may need to get some form of mic preamp to give the signal a boost. running it to the line in wouldnt work, but the mic in would give a louder signal. of course the quality of the A-D converters in your soundcard are probably lacking a bit, which can cause lack of quality and some lack of volume.

so if you could specify your setup a bit more, it would be easier to help you out.

Its a Nady Dynamic mic, nothing special really. It is going into the mic input not the line in, sorry for the mixup. The whole point of this thread was to see if i could do it w/ stuff i already had cuz im broke. Hence why i asked if a guitar amp or pedal would do it but yeah, sorry for making it so confusing.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
well, if you are running it into the mic in, you could try turning up the input level as i_baked_cookies suggested, which will probably help some. windows also has an option to select a mic boost, which agian may help. running it through a pedal or amp could work, just wont sound great. you are already running the guitar through your amp and effects, so unless you have a clean boost, it is probably going to color your sound a bit more. an overdrive or distortion pedal with the gain down and level up will boost the signal, but it may or may not sound good. i guess the only way to see how well it works is to try it.