Ok, I'm playing Eruption at my school's talent show next Friday, and I want to replace my strings this weekend so I sound as good as possible. Right now I have .10's, and I've been meaning to try .11's for awhile, but I don't know if it's a good idea to switch to a higher guage this close to a biggish performance on a song that's already somewhat technically challenging for me. How long does it take to get your fingers to a point where you can play as well as you could with a lower guage? I'm planning on playing around three hours a day in the coming week. Oh, and I have replaced my strings since I got my Mustang . Any advice on type?
El Gearo:

Fender '69 Reissue Mustang
Fender American Standard P-Bass

Fender Blues Junior
the playing it's not a problem, in a week you can get used to it, the problem is the guitar setup. you need to adjust trus rod and intonation
Do not, I repeat, DO NOT change your string gauge if you're not ready for it...especially when you have a show coming up. Just use your 10's cause if you buy 11's and you're not used to it--you're just going to look stupid trying to get a grip on your new strings.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
I wouldn't switch to the .11's, just because you might not adjust as quickly as others would, so it might end up being a disaster for you. Also, don't try it and switch back if it doesn't work, because then you won't be used to .10's.
my gear:
gibson les paul classic
epiphoen les paul standard
fender standard fat strat
peavey valveking 112
boss me-50
crybaby original wah
No one in the audience is going to be like "Wow! Those 11's sound really good compared to 10's!" so I'd just stick with what you're used to until after the talent show.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Ok, thats what I was thinking, thanks guys. Now any advice on brand/type? As much as I hate to say it I'm a total string noob...
El Gearo:

Fender '69 Reissue Mustang
Fender American Standard P-Bass

Fender Blues Junior
Quote by Jinskee
Do not, I repeat, DO NOT change your string gauge if you're not ready for it...especially when you have a show coming up. Just use your 10's cause if you buy 11's and you're not used to it--you're just going to look stupid trying to get a grip on your new strings.

+1 i wouldnt take any chances.

The truth hurts, but denial is what kills you.

Member #2 of the Fight Club Clan.
PM AndrewSchaeffer to join.
It's really your own preference on strings man.

Personally, I love the tone and feel of ernie ball strings, but they rust WAAAY too fast. It's not even funny. But I do like to use D'darrios, they last quite long and they are pretty nice. You could try to use GHS strings if you wish...I hear they're quite decent.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
I'm a D'addarrio fan all the way.
They say the D'addarrio .11's are noticeably better than their .10's [idk why] so hopefully you get to .11's some day. Though there is a difference, like the poster said above, nobody is going to sit in the audience and assume your .10 string gauge is to small, if anything it will be the current brand of strings your using. You should definitely make sure you have relatively new string on before your performance, but don't do it like the day before because they need to settle.

Though you may not be able to play as good in this time, I took me about two weeks to stop noticing I had .12's instead of .11's.

Edit: Spelling
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
Last edited by FrenchBread at Mar 17, 2007,
Ernie Balls sound and feel great when they're new but yeah they do die pretty quickly. I only use them though for some reason. I don't mind regular string changes.

Yeah i suggest puttingon a new set of strings befre you perform/whatever to get thesound as good as possible. I wouldn't say 2 weeks before though.. 1 at the most. As long as you stretch them in properly they'll stay in tune and sound a lot better than older strings. I'd go change like 2 days before.
Yeah, you'll need to break em' in and get used to the strings. BE SURE TO STRETCH THEM, you don't want to go out of tune while playing...just watch a couple of live performances of dragon force, you'll know what I mean.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by TheDev01dOne
Ernie Balls sound and feel great when they're new but yeah they do die pretty quickly. I only use them though for some reason. I don't mind regular string changes.

Yeah i suggest puttingon a new set of strings befre you perform/whatever to get thesound as good as possible. I wouldn't say 2 weeks before though.. 1 at the most. As long as you stretch them in properly they'll stay in tune and sound a lot better than older strings. I'd go change like 2 days before.

Yea proper stretch in, and 2 weeks is a bit long, just dont be usin 2 month old strings.

Here is a UGer's review for D'addarrio
Quote by Backup Guitar
I'm voting we're allowed to post strings. Let's hope nirvanaozzie "officially" endorses that.

Brand: D'addario
Type: XL Nickelplated steel, .011 - .049
Cost: 6-7 bucks, tops.
Description: Well, I've used other gauges of D'addario, and these certainly take the cake. I use them on whole step down tuning (what else?) and they're amazing for chord work, acoustic playing, and even fast soloing. I mainly stick to pull ons and hammer offs, and it works great all around. Compared to the old fender bullets, and even d'addario 10's, these just sound great. And you can't beat the price of these strings. It almost has an "alive" sort of feel. Meaning that the sound isn't flat at all... it almost shimmers. Say, I play a low powerchord on the typical distortion settings, these things really pull out some great crunch. Wonderful fast action, and I don't seem to have a lot of hiss when I run my fingers along them. The high strings have great high end clarity, while the bottom strings are booming with power. Great for any type of rock to jazz. You can also get this gauge with a wound third string. Make sure you read the package carefully, as I once accidentally bought the wrong set and had to go back to the music store to exchange it.

I also use D'addario because of the environmentally friendly packaging. And the players points. One more string package till I get my Vandoren coffee mug.

[Not sayin the E-Balls are a bad choice, but for the money I go D'addario
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
I like EB alot more than Daddario.

For instance, I always used to snap my daddario strings. Every week I'd lose at least one. Switched to the same gauge of EB, never had a problem.

Also, I don't have a problem with my strings deteriorating or rusting or anything because I simply keep my fretboard and hands clean. The less you put on them, the better off they will be.

If your strings are literally RUSTING you have more pressing concerns than rusty strings, mainly that you need to find a way to keep the room which you place your guitars dry. because all that moisture will pretty much rape your instrument.

To me daddarios don't have the pop or punch that EB do, they seem rather dull in comparison whenever I try them out (I still use them occasionally)