Ok this is a tough question but I just wonder... Do you need any music theory to be a DJ? Im going to be a radio dj (what im in college for) with a minor in georgraphy btw. Anyways so the anything that i see is maybe some piano theory for the keyboard, but i usually just push buttons and they sound pretty good to me.

So should I know theory or not?

BTW: Dj like music I make is a hobby that I am taking up btw.
Um sure. Thats not really even a question anymore. Theory is a great tool for anything and you got nothing to lose.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
I'd say no...
In My honest Opinion , DJ's are the most worthless 'musicians' on earth and when you ask them anything about theory they wouldn't have the slightest clue what you're talking about..
ANYWAYS, they produce good music that is aprecciated by alot of people nonetheless..
Playing since december 2004
Quote by BloodMoon666

*sports commentator voice*
And this thread is over!

Wonderful match by TS but in the end simply overwhelmed by the pure skill and simplicity of unfluffed. A true professional in action.
Quote by unfluffed
I'd say no...
In My honest Opinion , DJ's are the most worthless 'musicians' on earth and when you ask them anything about theory they wouldn't have the slightest clue what you're talking about..
ANYWAYS, they produce good music that is aprecciated by alot of people nonetheless..

yeah, i would basically have to agree with that. Of course DJ's aren't really expected to know music theory...they are just expected to spice up the music alot.
I myself am a dj(well music producer) and i never knew theory at all. i just drew my notes edited alot. so, however i did know theory in a sence of how to work the tools. Theory would of helped me alot when i was younger composing techno because then i would of been able to make ten times better stuff. Learn it, i am so you should too.

Iv been doing it for 5 years now, and its alot of hard work trust me. when you are creating every sound yourself not using presets. Its hard and its worthy when you get it right.
Last edited by SillyRabbit at Mar 17, 2007,
Quote by SillyRabbit
I myself am a dj(well music producer) and i never knew theory at all. i just drew my notes edited alot. so, however i did know theory in a sence of how to work the tools. Theory would of helped me alot when i was younger composing techno because then i would of been able to make ten times better stuff. Learn it, i am so you should too.

Iv been doing it for 5 years now, and its alot of hard work trust me. when you are creating every sound yourself not using presets. Its hard and its worthy when you get it right.

I couldnt go into Music Production at college without knowing theory like the back of my hand. Your lucky