Well I know that there are two types of guitars, those that use laminates...although I'm actually not too sure what these 'laminates' are, and those that are made from real wood. I'm just wondering what the differences are between the two, and how to tell the difference between them - can you tell just by looking at them?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but thanks for any help.

Last edited by CxS at Mar 17, 2007,
The laminates are thin pieces of wood glued together: the sound is less vibrant than "real wood" which really is solid top. The problem comes in that with a solid top, which is one continuous piece of wood, the sound is far better than a laminated: the wood grains vibrate in a harmonious fashion and the guitar will sound better over time, or at least begin to have a unique sound. However, the solid top real wood guitars are less durable by general comparison to laminates. However, I suggest that the higher the sound the better the instrument and I suggest that you get a solid top "real wood" guitar. Specifically, look into Talkamines, they have a very nice selection of great quality, solid wood acoustics from anywhere from $300-$600 (Go with the G series natural).
Most of the low end "pretty" guitars you see out there are laminate - they glue a top layer of pretty wood over plywood. An easy way to tell? If the back has fantastic grain on the outside and you look in the soundhole and see.... nothing - guess what - laminate. Fully figured grain goes all the way through wood.
Plywood is laminated wood.
Cole Clark FL1AC Acoustic

Quote by 2007 Stupidity Awards

Instead of using Valves, could I use Light Bulbs instead? If so, would the new energy saving ones be OK? Coz I do a lot of playing

I got my pick stuck inside my guitar . . . . how am I supposed to get it out?
I see...Thanks.

So overall the solid-tops are a much better choice? That sucks because I just bought a laminate...but oh well it's my first acoustic, next time I'll be sure to get a solid-top, I like Takamine and Taylor.
There's nothing wrong with a Laminate as a first guitar mate. When it comes to budget guitars, there really isn't much of a choice anyway, as most are laminates. Just enjoy it, and keep in mind you will treat yourself eventually with a highend instrument once you kow for certain the guitar is your thing.
Cole Clark FL1AC Acoustic

Quote by 2007 Stupidity Awards

Instead of using Valves, could I use Light Bulbs instead? If so, would the new energy saving ones be OK? Coz I do a lot of playing

I got my pick stuck inside my guitar . . . . how am I supposed to get it out?