Page 1 of 2
have in common? I'm going to eat something really quick so I'll post what I think in a little while.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Quote by Owned
they've all created something new and revolutionized something.

I disagree. There are plenty of great guitarists who haven't done anything new or revolutionized anything, but just perfected something. Depends on your definition of great of course.

As for me: perseverance, dedication, concentration, organization, an open mind, a healthy dose of arrogance, and most importantly time.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
^lol, not exactly what I expected but whateva.

Personally I think they all have a great sense of melody, perseverance/dedication/concentration as you said Resi, curiosity to delve into the unknown, a style, heightened sense of understanding. There are more but I want you guys to say some to.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
I think great guitarists really stand out from the crowd with a way or another. Having an own distinctive style is what separates the greats from the bedroom players.
^wow
Pick Of Destiny referance?
"I worked hard. Anyone who works as hard as I did can achieve the same results.” ~ Johann Sebastian Bach
* The've studied/practised all hard to become great guitarists!
* They all have some kind of talent for it
I disagree with JvL. You don't have to have talent. You just have to find a way to be away from the crowd in an awesome way.
Quote by apocalypse13

Quote by Beckerism
I ain't ghetto foo! I's just keeping it real!

Keep it real man.
Click.
they all have in common that they play with feel..
cus thats what defines great in great guitarist
unfortunately al lot of guitarists playing without feel have been defined great..
but thats all opinion-wise
1953 Epiphone zephyr
1988 PRS custom 24
1960 Moon oct. mandolin
Many are critical over their own playing. They rebel against any outside influences that could change their music. They don't just play one style of music.
Quote by DeathDealer
you people are daft

"You rise as high as your dominant aspiration, you descend to the level of your lowest concept of yourself. Free your mind and your ass will follow." Funkadelic

Member #7 of the Peavey is Amazing Club
they all push themselves past the limits of "traditional" playing and most importantly past their own limits, and find themselves and their own style in the process
Quote by Righteous
Is that Chuck Norris in your avator? I never thought of him as a shredder really... a shredder of bodies maybe.

Member: "I died a little inside when Steve Irwin died...RIP" club. Put in your sig to join

Self Proclaimed Master of Typos
Quote by angryelephant3
Well they all used the same guitar pick

Fuck you, I was about to say that.
Known.
Some.
Call.
Is.
Air.
Am?

Incoherent - yes.
Without meaning - I'm afraid not.

"Known some call is air am."
Which is to say-

"I am not what I used to be"
Now, they all smoke through the same bong........
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
they sold their soul to the devil
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
- They're all guitar nerds
- They all have a perfectionist type of nature, by this I mean they all have this drive to improve and to nail things properly.
- Tolerance for different types of music (well, most of them have)

Can't think of anything that hasn't already been said.

Although isn't "great" subject to opinion? So who I think is great you might not etc.
'If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the Universe' - Carl Sagan.
Last edited by Matt_Malmsteen at Mar 18, 2007,
They never had any friends when they were young.
Known.
Some.
Call.
Is.
Air.
Am?

Incoherent - yes.
Without meaning - I'm afraid not.

"Known some call is air am."
Which is to say-

"I am not what I used to be"
They all ate their weetabix.
Originally posted by TapMaster
If you break a JEM you know your going to go to hell when you die

Only member of the 'This is too immature for me' club.
great players know when to turn it up and when to lay back.
"To You i'm all thats left undone, I'm all I have but one, let me out my souls so hollow, let me out" - Submersed - Hollow

Join the Alter Bridge Ug Club...
Well, when you here a great guitarist play a solo is like you've been thunderstruck, it's like perfect resonnance with the feel of the song
Some of you seem to be confusing the words "great guitarist" with "great composer." A great guitarist doesn't have to be innovative.
They have the pick of destiny.

Edit: Dammit beaten to the punch!
My Youtube Vids

"Be formless... shapeless like water.

If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle.

Water can flow, and it can crash....Be water, my friend..." - Bruce Lee
an Italian last name
Quote by bearded_monkey
Everytime I go into the guitar shop and ask for a G-String the shopkeeper always makes that TERRIBLE joke about it not being an underwear shop

So next time I go in I'm gonna ask for a thong
They never brag about their skill.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by fixationdarknes
*cough* Malmsteen *cough*

How exactly does Malmsteen brag?
Quote by Resiliance
How exactly does Malmsteen brag?

Have you read any of his interviews? The general consensus is the "oh i have so much god-given talent and am le best."
Quote by fixationdarknes
Have you read any of his interviews? The general consensus is the "oh i have so much god-given talent and am le best."

It's not true, malmsteen is not as arrogant as people make him be. I remember his interview, where he listened to bands and had to state his opinion, he was actualy pretty open minded, well except for growling, he hated that. He wasn't arrogant at all, he knows that he's the shiz, but he gives credit to other people, so shush.

Anyway back on topic, great guitarists work their asses off in order to become what they are.
<Omri> I love trannys too..
Last edited by Hells_Bell at Mar 26, 2007,
Quote by fixationdarknes

Yeah, that's the general concensus. Aka the totally ignorant unfounded one.

Malmsteen admits in his very beginning days he was arrogant, to get the attention of music execs, but that has LONG since passed, get your goddamn facts straight.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
The single most unifying characteristic for me is that they all love to play the guitar. If you watch live videos of pretty much any guitar great (Vai in particular) you'll be able to catch at least one goofy looking smile where you can tell they're thinking "I love doing this".
no
They've all solo'd
Member of The Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jimmypage27 or me to join.
Founding Member of "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club.
Member #11 of the UG RIP Cliff Burton Club
Quote by jesusgonewrong
They've all solo'd

wow, that was deep
Quote by bearded_monkey
Everytime I go into the guitar shop and ask for a G-String the shopkeeper always makes that TERRIBLE joke about it not being an underwear shop

So next time I go in I'm gonna ask for a thong
^lmao
My Youtube Vids

"Be formless... shapeless like water.

If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle.

Water can flow, and it can crash....Be water, my friend..." - Bruce Lee
Quote by Resiliance
Yeah, that's the general concensus. Aka the totally ignorant unfounded one.

Malmsteen admits in his very beginning days he was arrogant, to get the attention of music execs, but that has LONG since passed, get your goddamn facts straight.

Thank you! I always love it when an established member has the exact same opinion on a matter as I do.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Quote by fixationdarknes
*cough* Malmsteen *cough*

I don't think there's any more room in the bandwagon.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
I'm pretty sure none of them spent time chatting about others on an internet forum.

Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
Page 1 of 2