Well the time has come for me to get a new guitar and amp. I have about $1000 US to spend. It can be dived any way not exactly half for the amp and guitar. I can go over a tiny bit but my budget is pretty tight to $1000 so dont go past $100 over. I will be buying off www.musiciansfriend.com if you need prices. If theres a cheaper website than that please tell me.

My influences and playing styles vary from easy blues to fast firet tapping but I mainly stick to rock/metal such as Pantera, Ozzy, Black Label Society, Dragonforce, Iron Maiden, Vai, ect.

I am looking for a guitar which is mainly based around rock/metal music. So it must have a fast neck(through body would be nice but thats sort of hard at my price range), 24 or 22 (preferably jumbo) frets and good stock pickups(humbuckers). I also want it to have a Floyd Rose or licensed tremolo.

With the amp I want something that s good and loud enough for gigging, probably a combo amp. I want it to be able to deliver heavy riffs (Pantera, Black Label Society, ect) but also be able to give a nice clean tone as well. I am pretty much set on the Marshall MG100DFX or the MG250DFX(Is it worth another $30?) but I am definitely open to any other opinions.

Any input will be appreciated, thanks.

Scott.
Last edited by Scott. at Mar 17, 2007,
If you're willing to spend that much money on good gear--I suggest not getting the MG (you'll be flamed ).

I suggest you put another thread at the Gears and Accessories thread, considering there are also knowledgeable people there too.

I say get yourself a ltd ec-400 with EMG's or some Shecter (I've heard good things about them).

Also, amp wise, I suggest looking into a cube 30x or a 60.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee
If you're willing to spend that much money on good gear--I suggest not getting the MG (you'll be flamed ).

I suggest you put another thread at the Gears and Accessories thread, considering there are also knowledgeable people there too.

I say get yourself a ltd ec-400 with EMG's or some Shecter (I've heard good things about them).

Also, amp wise, I suggest looking into a cube 30x or a 60.

Thanks for the quick reply. I was going to post in Gear and Accessory thread but thought I would get more of a response here.

Whats wrong with the MGs? They seem really decent and well priced to me plus I have played a few and the sound is pretty good.

I forgot to add I would prefer a double cutaway but I will get a single if its the best around.

I like the Rolands but they dont seem to deliver enough crunch for heavier playing.
^Ahh, well, whatever floats your boat.

The ltd ec-400 is single cut away.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee
^Ahh, well, whatever floats your boat.

The ltd ec-400 is single cut away.

Why would I get flamed for liking a Marshall? Is it because everyone has them or something?

Yeah I know its a single cutaway. I prefer double cutaways but am open to the suggestions of single cutaways too. I do like that EMG so thats why I would like replys of both single and double cutaways.
umm no, not because its a marshall, but because its an MG. MG's are notoriously known for sounding bad and not sounding like a marshall.
Seriously. MGs are really really crappy amps.

It's basically Marhsall's way of cashing in on their name. They just make a shit amp. Slap a Marshall badge on it and sell it cheap to everyone who doesn't know better. I fell for it pretty bad.. Haha.

If you have that kind of money, Look at Randalls or Cube. Just don't get an MG, especially not a big one.
Yeah, the MG is a solid state Marshall which everyone hates. I've heard it being played on, and to be quite honest, it sounds horrid.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Yup, Id look into randalls/cubes or if you want a modeling amp , then a vox.
Quote by roast
Cool, thanks Lagrance.

Randall Rx15
Ibanez Rg321Mh
Musima 25K Deluxe
Zoom 505 II
Okay, well it looks like I'll be giving the Marshall a miss.

The Roland Cube 60 seems all right. Can it be set for really heavy songs though? I will be playing a lot of Pantera influenced stuff so will it be able to get a close sound to that. It also needs to be able to give good sounding hamonics(i know they are closely related to the pickups too). I know it wont have a problem with the clean sound which is good. I just dont want it so sound too much like a tube amp such as an Orange(they are awesome amps but thats not the sound im after).

I can pick up a Cube 60 for $310 so that leaves around $650 -$700 on the guitar.

Keep other guitar and amp reccommendations coming too.

Scott.
I have found 3 guitars that seem well suited and I would like some opinions on them as I havnt played any before.

PRS SE Custom:
I have been a fan of PRS guitars for a while and know they are great for just about everything but will they deliver the heavier sound im looking for aswell? Downside is there is no Floyd Rose.
Link:http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/PRS-Guitars-SE-Custom-Electric-Guitar?sku=519370
Picture:

Ibanez S520EX:
I also like Ibanez guitars and their sound. I have never played this one but the specs look good. Thoughts?
Link:http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-S520EX-Electric-Guitar?sku=519964
Picture:

ESP LTD MH-400:
Im really leaning toward this guitar. Nice specs, awesome finish, clean looking. Good hardware too. Thoughts?
Link:http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-MH400-Electric-Guitar?sku=516684
Picture:

I am still open to other suggestions too.
Quote by Scott.
I have found 3 guitars that seem well suited and I would like some opinions on them as I havnt played any before.

PRS SE Custom:
I have been a fan of PRS guitars for a while and know they are great for just about everything but will they deliver the heavier sound im looking for aswell? Downside is there is no Floyd Rose.
Link:http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/PRS-Guitars-SE-Custom-Electric-Guitar?sku=519370
Picture:

Ibanez S520EX:
I also like Ibanez guitars and their sound. I have never played this one but the specs look good. Thoughts?
Link:http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-S520EX-Electric-Guitar?sku=519964
Picture:

ESP LTD MH-400:
Im really leaning toward this guitar. Nice specs, awesome finish, clean looking. Good hardware too. Thoughts?
Link:http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-MH400-Electric-Guitar?sku=516684
Picture:

I am still open to other suggestions too.

To be honest, all 3 of those guitars are awesome from my experience. You'll be happy with either one of them, as long as you've got the right amp!

I'd suggest getting a Laney VC15 and a Rocktron Zombie Rectifier Distortion over some solid-state amp, too. You'll love me for suggesting it.
For a good solid state combo the Randall G2 series are going cheap these days and are pretty damn good amps for metal on a budget.

And out of those guitars I say MH-400. They are awesome guitars and active EMGs don't hurt..

EDIT: HOLD UP....... You're in Australia?

The MH 400 is like $1300 at least.. What happened to your $1000 budget?

If you're going by the prices on that website.. They're $US .. And shipping anything from that site over here would make it cost more than you can get it from Aus..

I'm all confused now.
Last edited by TheDev01dOne at Mar 17, 2007,
Okay, my price is 1000 US, as stated in the first post. Shipping should be less than $50.

Well I have pretty much decided on the ESP as it seems the best for me and has good hareware. It is discounted to $650 on musicains friend so that leaves around $350 for the amp.

Roland Cube is looking good so far too. Price is $310 so still in my range.

Keep the recommendations and opinions coming.
I would suggest a randall RG 50 for an amp. It's only 50 watts but is a tube amp so in real terms it's actually a lot louder.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by TheDev01dOne
Is that $50 US or AUD for postage? I thought you had to pay like customs and tax and shit when you buy stuff off american sites and shipped it to Aus?

If its over $1000. It will probably still work out cheaper.

All prices I say are in USD to avoid confusion.
Hmm alright. I'm gonna subscribe to this thread.

Can you like post how it all goes once you order everything and recieve it etc. I'd really like to know how it works 'cos the prices you've said are REALLY good after conversion rates.

I want an MH for $850 AUD

Sorry for my confusion if it was annoying.
Bump back to the top. On the 5th page already.

Still looking and open to suggestions.
I've heard nothing but great things about the MH-400. Great for reach and is well suited for your style of music.

You can also look at shecters...

But as for amps, The cube can definitly handle metal.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R