Hey guys Im needing some help with guitar recording equipment...

I got about max of £300 for a mic pre amp and a converter plus two microphones

Now i want to have some suggestions because im not expert on this and i want to know if there is anything else i will need. i live in the uk so suggestions from uk sites please.

As far as i know i think im gonna go for the shure sm57 for one of my mics and maybe another mic for a bit more bass response? any other suggestions would be great

thankyou
a lexicon lambda or omega will run under 300, computer interfaces w/ usb and cubebase le.
not the best. I think there are ways to plug mixing boards into these interfaces so my choice would be a didgidesign mbox 2 mini w usb and pro tools le with a mixing board if possible?
Read hhttp://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm I don't mean to be rude or unhelpful - but I would recommend you learn a little about what you are planning to do before buying. Also this site has a very helpful rig setup guide, which points out various types of home studios, and allows you to decide which one would best suit you/your budget.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Quote by thrice_removed
Read hhttp://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm I don't mean to be rude or unhelpful - but I would recommend you learn a little about what you are planning to do before buying. Also this site has a very helpful rig setup guide, which points out various types of home studios, and allows you to decide which one would best suit you/your budget.

ok thx for the advice and the link but i dont really want a mixer all full blwon out stuff...i just want the bog standard and according to this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAQR1Ev6Cmc

I can do that just with a mic-mic pre-converter-pc-audicity

Ive got expierence with audicity already. And as far as i know a mic pre and converter is all i need plz elaborate if anyone knows something more.
Another link Scroll about halfway down the page till you get to the section titled "Entry Level Mac or Pc Mixerless rig" If you scroll down a little more the next rig might suite you well (and you wouldn't need that huge keyboard for what you are doing). Since you only want to record guitar riffs I would recommend you upgrade your soundcard (converter and cheap preamp) to the one suggested and maybe get an Art Tube preamp(slightly better preamp. Also grab a Shure SM57 for recording the guitar and do not worry about getting a condenser microphone as you will not need it for recording guitar. Your other option that would also work quite well would be to get a Line 6 toneport (has a built in preamp and converter) along with an SM57. Either of these options should be well under your budget and should provide a decent sound for what you are doing.

Also, I must say I (along with most of the recording community) disagree with the guy when he says that "if you are gonna spend your money - spend it on a high quality converter. The preamp is far more important than the converter, in fact the converter is the last thing you want to upgrade after preamps and mics. Also any sort of upgrade in a converter is gonna cost you generally over a grand - and you definitely are looking to spend that much.
Edit: If you are using a Pc I would recommend using Reaper for Kristal over Audacity, but Reaper pwns both. Definitely worth a look.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Last edited by thrice_removed at Mar 17, 2007,
^ ok thanks for the help

EDIT:So you would reccomend http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/tube-mp/67655

and what kind of converter would i be looking for? because the link u sent me doesnt seem to show one...i might just be missing it though lol

its £50 for the shure sm-57 that leaves me £200 for a condenser but you said to spend more on a mic pre? could you reccomend maybe some off gak? itd be a great help thankyou
Last edited by Sora 01 at Mar 17, 2007,
Ok in the first option the converter is just a new soundcard. Here is the One recommended. Basically a soundcard is a converter as it takes an analog signal and converts it to digital so that it can be edited by the computer. The stock soundcards in most computers are quite crappy, and thus it is generally recommended you upgrade them if you plan on using them. One of the problems with soundcards however is that they have rather crappy built in preamps, and thus it is recommended you get a standalone preamp.

If you wish to upgrade the preamp I would recommend this . Now notice - this amplifiies two channels - so you may end up not using the second channel on the preamp, which is not bad - it just means you won't be using all of the features of the unit.

You are still planning on using this for just recording guitar right? If so, as stated before you most likely won't need a condenser mic.

Another option I would recommend would be this. It is a converter and preamp all in one, and completely bypasses your soundcard by plugging in through USB, and thus you will not need to upgrade your soundcard. Once again, it does not come with the best preamp built in, and if you are looking for a higher quality signal I would recommend getting a standalone preamp. Notice again that the preamp recommend above has two channels of amplification and you will probably only be using one for this setup.

Also, for editing these mixes, I assume you do not want to spend the money to buy nice studio monitors (and cheap ones are just not worth it) and thus would recommend a pair of these . You may not need them for what you are doing, but if you ever want to get more professional recording you will need to upgrade to a decent pair of studio monitors. Hope this helps and that I am not forgetting anything.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Last edited by thrice_removed at Mar 17, 2007,
K cool - glad it helped.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

If I were you I'd invest in a good quality program to record with such as cubase, because audacity really sucks.

Quote by thrice_removed
Another link Scroll about halfway down the page till you get to the section titled "Entry Level Mac or Pc Mixerless rig" If you scroll down a little more the next rig might suite you well (and you wouldn't need that huge keyboard for what you are doing). Since you only want to record guitar riffs I would recommend you upgrade your soundcard (converter and cheap preamp) to the one suggested and maybe get an Art Tube preamp(slightly better preamp. Also grab a Shure SM57 for recording the guitar and do not worry about getting a condenser microphone as you will not need it for recording guitar. Your other option that would also work quite well would be to get a Line 6 toneport (has a built in preamp and converter) along with an SM57. Either of these options should be well under your budget and should provide a decent sound for what you are doing.

Also, I must say I (along with most of the recording community) disagree with the guy when he says that "if you are gonna spend your money - spend it on a high quality converter. The preamp is far more important than the converter, in fact the converter is the last thing you want to upgrade after preamps and mics. Also any sort of upgrade in a converter is gonna cost you generally over a grand - and you definitely are looking to spend that much.
Edit: If you are using a Pc I would recommend using Reaper for Kristal over Audacity, but Reaper pwns both. Definitely worth a look.

Im going off topic here, but I was wondering, do you need a preamp and converter if you have a mixing desk? Thanks.