Hello.

Here's a big list of musicians. Can anyone tell me which of these know music theory? And which don't?

Zakk Wylde
Jimmy Page
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Mark Knopfler
Pete Townshend
Eddie Van Halen
John Frusciante
Dave Mustaine
All of the Beatles

Thank you
Quote by soulflyV
a few of those are dead but yes everyone knows music theory

but some of the beatles couldn't read music , but that isn't not knowing theory

So they knew theory without being able to read it?

Reading notation is an aspect of theory.
Member of The Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jimmypage27 or me to join.
Founding Member of "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club.
Member #11 of the UG RIP Cliff Burton Club
If you're deciding wether you're going to learn theory or not off of what other guitarists chose, then you have to mature a lot.
It's this simple, theory DOES NOT take away from "feel".
Originally posted by WlCmToTheJungle "you have just received the amish computer virus. Since the amish dont have computers it's based on there honor system so please delete all of your files immediatly. thank you
Theory is pure growth, if someone thinks it takes away the "feel" they don't know very much theory lets say that.
Quote by Caressing Death
If you're deciding wether you're going to learn theory or not off of what other guitarists chose, then you have to mature a lot.
It's this simple, theory DOES NOT take away from "feel".

That's not the reason. I'm just interested. I read that Dimebag only knew 3 scales, so that got me thinking.

I am learning a bit of theory, BTW, just so you don't call me a n00b.
Yes, many people dont know theory and Dime probably did know just 3 scales but his ear would have known what sounded good and thats why he got away with learning just 3.
If you think Dimebag is good, think about how much better he'd be if he had learned theory. He could only have been better.
Originally posted by WlCmToTheJungle "you have just received the amish computer virus. Since the amish dont have computers it's based on there honor system so please delete all of your files immediatly. thank you
Quote by sashki

but being able to read music is only a part of theory

they probably could read things like Am Cmajadd7and know scales and stuff like that. but they couldn't read music written on a stave(sp?) or whatever you call it

at least that's what i heard