Page 1 of 4
hello:

i just buy last night the yamaha gigmaker electric guitar erg121c, i want to play guitar in style of dimmu borgir and cradle of filth, so how i can start, what kind of amp i will need, and how i install my guitar in my computer, please help how i can start.

thank u
If you've just started you don't yet really need to worry about equipment. But if you want to plug your guitar into your computer, there are a couple of options.

If you have a Large Jack - Small Jack cable, you can plug from your guitar directly into the microphone slot. For recording, this setup is OK if you're going to add effects afterwards, but if you want to hear your playback, you're going to want a distortion pedal.

Second option is if you have an amp, Plug your guitar into the amp with a standard guitar cable and from the headphone input on your amp, use a Large Jack - Small Jack cable to go from your headphone port to the Line-In on your computer.

Otherwise, as far as playing tips go, theres people here who know more than me about the playing styles of those guys.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
mate just learn bits of everything just dont go for one style, just go for the blues scale if anything learn that

hello:
thank u for answering me back, but do u know a site that teaches guitar in an effectiv way? and please i have this question:

in black metal style what is important is it the amp or the distortion or the effects or what,? am a nooby so sorry for my stupid question.

thank u
then how i learn black metal ?and what is mallgoth
Last edited by seedo at Mar 17, 2007,
Mallgoth = derogotory term for bands like Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth which are "teh uber sellouts" because the grew up.

With black metal, I'd check out wikipedia, it gives a fairly decent run down of techniques associated with the genre. As for equipment, you'll need a guitar thats sharp and thats about it lol.
Cradle of Filth and Dimmu arent black metal whatsoever.

Listen to Burzum, Drudkh, old Immortal, etc. That's black metal.

And just distortion, reverb, and trem picking
Alls you need is this:

A guitar, a small practice amp, homemade drums, a reverb effect for your voice, a $20 dollar tape recorder, and a bathroom to record in. A closet would do fine
^ Yes, and a torch to burn down anyone and everything that has witnessed this.
To thread started: learn how to tremolo pick. It's really useful. But I think you can use anything as long as you use it right so don't stick to generic guidelines.
You must remember that black metal is more about the atmosphere of the music rather than making riffs and melodys.

Edit: Instead of a bathroom you could also record in the dark grim forest.
I find a second-hand coffin to be the best recording place, preferably with the corpse unremoved
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

I just recorded a bm tape. I made the songs up as I went along. The name of it is Forest of the Titans. Rule #1: never have good production. What I did was record it on my computer first. (on sound recorder) then just play it back with the tape player recording, and play the drums off of the musicians friend fun zone, while singing.Tr00 nekro k\/lt
Quote by Deathcrush6_6_6
k I'll lead you in the right direction:

Tremelo pick,Minor power chords, Speed in general.

And shitloads of gain, don't forget to scoop the mids aswell.
Learn what real black metal is. It is then tat you'll realize you're askign all the wrong questions.

[/sensei]
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
You should probably ask these questions somewhere else in this forum. For Technique, Ask in the Guitar and Bass Basics section (As Said Tremelo Picking is Usefull). For Equipment, ask in Guitar Gear and Accessories (For an amp, something Medium to High Gain with Reverb)
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
To learn black metal style simply shop at Hot Topic
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
Quote by i have to pee
To learn black metal style simply shop at Hot Topic

I'll let someone else take care of this...
Quote by GNR4EVER

I'll let someone else take care of this...

twas a joke incase you couldn't tell

but I really find it funny when people think they are "goth" because they get their clothes from hot topic. Thats so black metal if you ask me... and by that I mean gay.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
Quote by i have to pee
twas a joke incase you couldn't tell

I couldn't
Quote by Deathcrush6_6_6
k I'll lead you in the right direction:

Tremelo pick,Minor power chords, Speed in general.

you do realise power chords cannot be minor?
Quote by masterohumans
there is something wrong with you that has nothing to do with that instrument you want to build.
For sound(on guitar), I would use a cheap amp...helps the bad production black metal sound.

Try not to worry about playing in key in black metal EVER. It's not a genre for musicianship or technicality. It;s solely there for atmosphere and epicness. Use a lot of chromatic scales in your riffs/chord progressions. Also, for darker sounding power metal, I strongly suggest the harmonic minor scale and NOTHING ELSE.
Quote by Everybody
Plus_the_Bear is the entertainment event of the holiday season!

My rig:

Ibanez Custom Chinese Fireball
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
2 Crate solid state half-stack cabinets and ampheads.
Digitech 2000 Whammy/Wah Pedal
Dunlops Picks
Quote by insideac
Alls you need is this:

A guitar, a small practice amp, homemade drums, a reverb effect for your voice, a $20 dollar tape recorder, and a bathroom to record in. A closet would do fine

>_>

<_<

*Starts planning a black metal release.*

Threadstarter: Listen to some Emperor for good influence too. They were my first black metal band (and I have yet to REALLY listen to anymore, because my computer's running low on Hd space. long story), and they are awesome.

"Anthems to the Welkins at Dusk" is a good starting point. And download "Curse You All Men!". That song's great.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
^ Hahahaha yeah I know, but it doesn't hurt to know that there's alot more out there, from that start.
Yeah...bad day lol

My honest advice, to what is a fairly stupid question, would be tank up your tremolo picking for just about any black metal.
helloooo guys:
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

am the guy who asked this stupid question, but guys i really want to thank u all for your replys, cuz honestly it helpd me a lot, am learning tremelo picking and other things plus i bought a great distortion divice that give me the sound that i need very dark and evily stuff, well am a piano player but not anymore, me and three of my friends going to start a band but we will need a drumetr so i hope things will go good, if anybody have any tips or an advice for death and black metal guitar playing style then please tell us about it.

well hope to c u soon
bye

piano adds great athmosphere, don't dump it
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Actually you don't need a drummer, only a drum machine. Drummers can't hold blastbeats as long as you want them to, and finally they start to complain on why you don't play any jazz.
Quote by metal Lover
I just recorded a bm tape. I made the songs up as I went along. The name of it is Forest of the Titans.
LOL
Edwards E-EX-105E Satin Cloudy Black Bareknuckle Warpigs
Aria pro II Black EMG 85
SX SB-301 Black Bass
MT-2 Keeley modded
Pod Xt
You dont need anybody but youself.

Mirrorthrone> most bm bands, and thats a one man band.

Burzum, however, sucks.
Quote by Everybody
Plus_the_Bear is the entertainment event of the holiday season!

My rig:

Ibanez Custom Chinese Fireball
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
2 Crate solid state half-stack cabinets and ampheads.
Digitech 2000 Whammy/Wah Pedal
Dunlops Picks
Quote by seedo
hello:

i just buy last night the yamaha gigmaker electric guitar erg121c, i want to play guitar in style of dimmu borgir and cradle of filth, so how i can start, what kind of amp i will need, and how i install my guitar in my computer, please help how i can start.

thank u

Well to start things off just get a starter guitar set about 250$, I'd go with Ibanez cause that helped me start off (now i just play with jacksons) and if you want to play black metal play some minor chords. And one more thing listen to better black metal go listen to some Gorgoroth or some Mayhem
Darkthrone/Burzum's version of Vatican in Flames is a great song to start at (i've heard that it's by numerous other bands, to be honest I have no clue who it's by. It's labeled as Darkthrone/Burzum though on my file). And CRANK that distortion.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
^its Clandestine Blaze

and to threadstarter: black metal hates you
Our skin worn thin
Our bones exposed
Life reduced to ticks
Quote by BlackFire_
Cradle of Filth and Dimmu arent black metal whatsoever.

Listen to Burzum, Drudkh, old Immortal, etc. That's black metal.

And just distortion, reverb, and trem picking

Dimmu used to put out some decent black metal at least up to and including Stormblast

and for everything else, as been said - tremolo picking, minor intervals... a lot of accent on the atmosphere of the music - abrasive, desolate...

ah **** it, here's some examples

Darkthrone (A Blaze in the Northern Sky, Panzerfaust)
Nargaroth (Herbstleyd)
Emperor (In The Nightside Eclipse)
Dissection (Storm of the Light's Bane)
Immortal (Pure Holocaust, though you can grab any album really)
Bathory
Burzum
Dark Funeral (pretty crappy but well within the genre's bounds)
Carpathian Forest
old Mayhem
Drudkh - Autumn Aurora
old Dimmu

have a listen to any of those to get a general idea. They all represent a slightly different niche of the Black Metal genre, but all are black metal. That should at least give you some idea about the sound that you want to get. The underlying principles are the same, it's just some bands go for a more complex sound and more progressive arrangements

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Page 1 of 4