Hi, ive been concerned about my guitar picking lately, as I think its stopping me from moving on in my guitar playing. I know there is something wrong with it because it looks stupid on the video, I just cant quite put my finger on it tho. Heres a video of me playing sweet child o mine, gunshot to the head, and master of puppets riffs. They sound crap coz i got no amp and id just woke up so I wasnt warmed up or anything. But notice how I cant play MOP fast enough. Here is a link to the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_AWVpTuLjc
I can almost tell you exactly what's wrong...you've got a death grip on that pick!!! Your thumb is bent inward...you gotta be squeezing on it a little too hard. That'll cause tension in your arm muscles, and you'll never relax enough to be able to play stuff like MOP.
Browse YouTube and look up your favorite players. Watch their picking hand. Notice almost all of them have their thumb STRAIGHT and they're relaxed. You don't tense up to play faster..that only slows you down.
Also, try holding your other fingers differently and see if that helps relax you a little. Myself, I hold my fingers straight out like a fan...George Lynch does this. That may not work for you, you have to experiment for yourself.
Also, try to play with just the very tip of the pick so you don't dig too deep.
Lastly, buy a metronome. Start with a slow tempo, and play with every click. Then two notes between clicks, 3, 4, and so on. Once you've mastered something slow like 80bpm, move it up 5bpm and repeat. You'll be there in no time.
But dude, ease up on that pick. It's not gonna go flying off.
so how much of my thumb should be touching the pick? the whole thing or just the very tip? Also how much of the pick should I have in my hand? All of it except the very tip or just the end?
Last edited by david_safc at Mar 17, 2007,
The tip of ur thumb will be enough. As far as how much of the tip to use, you want to use as little as possible. The less you have dragging against the strings, the better.
Look around your favorite music stores or on Ebay for something called a Stylus Pick. They're made by Dunlop, and they're a VERY valuable training tool. They teach you how to use the very tip of the pick. If you dig too deep, they'll snag the strings and bring you to a dead stop. I must stress that they're not to be used for regular playing..they're only a training tool, but worth it. My picking improved in a week, I swear.
Quote by fretboarddragon
The tip of ur thumb will be enough. As far as how much of the tip to use, you want to use as little as possible. The less you have dragging against the strings, the better.
Look around your favorite music stores or on Ebay for something called a Stylus Pick. They're made by Dunlop, and they're a VERY valuable training tool. They teach you how to use the very tip of the pick. If you dig too deep, they'll snag the strings and bring you to a dead stop. I must stress that they're not to be used for regular playing..they're only a training tool, but worth it. My picking improved in a week, I swear.

Sounds very useful thanks, i will look around for one

Quote by BirdHouse
wow , u seem to be very rough to u're strings when u played master of puppets

Lol ive never broke a string in my life either :O