███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I could do that with my eyes closed.
Duke Ellington - If it sounds good, it is good.
From someone completely ignorant of cricket.
What in gods green earth did that mean?
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
Was that like a homerun in baseball? If so, then that was some awesome shit. 6 homeruns in a row is practically unheard of.
Wow, thats amazing!

To people not knowing what that means is, an over consists of 6 balls (you could liken this to a 'play'), the batsman in this case hit six sixes in a row! Which is like hitting 6 home runs in a row. In cricket, sixes are relatively rare... so to hit six in a row is amazing!
Quote by DUP3R
Was that like a homerun in baseball? If so, then that was some awesome shit. 6 homeruns in a row is practically unheard of.

comparing baseball to cricket is like comparing lap top speakers to a really nice sound system. Test cricket lasts 5 days with 2 overs to each side over those days. the batsman has a much harder job of hitting the ball since it is bowled into a larger area, and due to the fact that the ball has to bounce on the way down the wicket (the part where the basmen and bowlers stand/run) there are a far greater veriaty of bowling teqniques avalible.

This guy manged it in one day cricket which has a totaly different strategy behind it. since you have less time you are trying to score as much as possible as quickly as possible unlike a 5 day test match where you want to stay in as long as you can and accumulate runs gradually over time.

that guy's performance was INCREDIBLE though 6 sixes in a row is virtually impossible usually if someone tries that the bowler gets you out for being a cocky git. On the subject of test cricket does anyone remember the who england were playing in the test series where Flintoff broke his bat? me and my mate were trying to remember this the other day, I *think* it was south affrica or the west indies but i'm not certain.
Last edited by sillybuuger12 at Mar 17, 2007,
so thats what cricket is

"Whats the most daring thing you've ever done?"

"I once played cricket without shin guards on."
Veteran UGer. Suck it.
Is this this years world cup? or is it older? awesome stuff though, if i was the bowler id probably cry.
Although to put it slightly in perspective... its like the Yankees getting six homeruns vs a AA team...

Which still doesn not make it any less amazing of a feat.
Originally posted by guitarkid27
RobbieMac2002 gives good advice.
ITs just cricket. The easiest . Go play some real american .
"Guitarmen, wake up and pluck wire for sound, let 'em hear you play"
-Charlie Christian
"You have to give people something to dream on"
-Jimi Hendrix
"I try to make any guitar do what I want it to do"
-Slash
Makes me proud to be South African

Because of it he was allowed to donate 1 million dollars to any charity he wanted.

SOUTH AFRICA FTW!

PS. Baseball sucks
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
Quote by sillybuuger12
comparing baseball to cricket is like comparing lap top speakers to a really nice sound system. Test cricket lasts 5 days with 2 overs to each side over those days. the batsman has a much harder job of hitting the ball since it is bowled into a larger area, and due to the fact that the ball has to bounce on the way down the wicket (the part where the basmen and bowlers stand/run) there are a far greater veriaty of bowling teqniques avalible.

This guy manged it in one day cricket which has a totaly different strategy behind it. since you have less time you are trying to score as much as possible as quickly as possible unlike a 5 day test match where you want to stay in as long as you can and accumulate runs gradually over time.

Im not trying to dimish your point... but you are forgetting some things about baseball...

- The sweet spot on a baseball bat is smaller than on a cricket bat... it is thinner, and rounder...

- There are just as many types of pitches in baseball as there are types of balls to be bowled in cricket... there is also just as much variety in speed also. You make a valid point about the ball bouncing... but dont assume that a baseball hitter only has to deal with a small handful of options.

- Cricketers get a chance to 'get their eye in' and get used to the pitch, the wicket and the bowlers before 'going for it'. For the same to hapen in baseball, six seperate players would have had to step up to the plate and execute a great swing despite not having made one for ten to fifteen minutes previous.

- Your point about ODI vs Test is slightly skewed. ODI cricket specifically encourages this sort of play, especially at the end of an innings when wickets are in hand. This would be a much harder feat in test cricket where the risk/reward are far more in favour of the bowler... there was very little risk for Gibbs in going for it.

I just felt like making those points clear for anyone who knows neither cricket or baseball
Quote by CrashedTheShow3
so thats what cricket is

"Whats the most daring thing you've ever done?"

"I once played cricket without shin guards on."

if you played cricket and were batting against a decent bowler, without shinpads, and you got hit in the shin, it'd snap clean in half. so yes, that's what cricket is.
Check out 8-Bit Trip!
www.myspace.com/8BitTrip

-·-·-·[ Music Squirrel ]·-·-·-

Also, get on my profile and friend me, bitches!
Man, cricket looks hard. Considering it bounces off the ground first.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
Quote by Kensai
Damn... that's pretty nice

*knows nothing about cricket*

+1
My Rig:

Guitars:
Schecter C-1 Classic (Deep Sea Green)
Jackson DK2M Snow White Edition
BC Rich Mockingbird Special X

Amps:
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 212
Roland Microcube

RIP Kevin Robert Swerdfiger
September 15 1991 - May 16 2008
I thought this was some "super-gothic" thread

Talking about cricket, anyone heard of Mike Gatting? We had him over for dinner a few times. Apparently hes a famous retired cricketer, but I dont follow cricket.

Edit:

Cricket > Baseball
Rugby > American Football
I was laughing my ass off because I dadn't know what the hell was going on.

But still, that's pretty cool.
Quote by umop-3p!sdn
I thought this was some "super-gothic" thread

Talking about cricket, anyone heard of Mike Gatting? We had him over for dinner a few times. Apparently hes a famous retired cricketer, but I dont follow cricket.

The Gatting Ball

2 seconds doesn't do it justice.
holy shit what a legend i wouldn't wanna be the bowler in that over
from daylight...
...into darkness
A million dollars donated to charity thanks to Gibbs as well, the Netherlands are hillariously bad, they have one good player (Ten Doschate).

Have you seen Boucher's record against the Netherlands now? it's scary, his two combined innings add up to 220*(100) with 13 6s.

I can't imagine what punishment Australia are going to give them.

Anyone watching the Ireland/Bangladesh match? Pakistan are going out if they don't perform remarkably well with the ball.
Need.New.Sig.
thats pretty good. i think hes like the third person in the whole world to do that. not sure, but i think its been done by Ravi Shastri and a West Indies player as well.
Quote by bearded_monkey
Oh man thats amazing, you win midi pure. I don't care whether it's a competition or not

Quote by halvies

could have been 3 's but there wasn't nearly enough exclamation marks to emphasize the anger/disbelief

oh yeah
Quote by midi pure
thats pretty good. i think hes like the third person in the whole world to do that. not sure, but i think its been done by Ravi Shastri and a West Indies player as well.

Ravi Shastri did it in 1985 in the Ranji (domestic) trophy

The West Indian is Sir Garfield Sobers did it in a test match V England at the expense of Malcom nash, the last 6 he hit was caught by a player in the outfield but he stepped over the rope in catching and so it counted as a 6.
Need.New.Sig.
Heard about this earlier today from a cricket coach
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Its funny because i know absolutely nothing about the game. It looks like some guys standing around watching another guy throwing a ball at somebody holding what looks like a boating oar.

I read through this thread and i still dont udnerstand the game.
Quote by absinthe5765
Its funny because i know absolutely nothing about the game. It looks like some guys standing around watching another guy throwing a ball at somebody holding what looks like a boating oar.

I read through this thread and i still dont udnerstand the game.

Cricket.
I think the wikipedia page should basically have a section for americans/japanese/baseball watchers...

Im sure it could easily be explained in about 2 minutes if you just used baseball terminology and didnt spend 5 minutes saying what a 'wicket' is when it means three things anyway
Quote by sillybuuger12

2 overs? That would be a pretty damn short game dude. 24 balls, if theyre all good (no no balls or wides). I think you meant innings...Not meaning to put you down or anything, just if someone who didn't know cricket read it they would get confused.

But 6 sixes in one over....Holy crap, thats amazing. How the hell did he manage that?
Quote by GodofGuitar1991
you are a real guitarist when you are not ashamed about masturbating to musicians friend magazine.
Quote by sillybuuger12

I'm a cricket fan but I have to disagree with you there. Baseball is just as hard to hit the ball, in fact I'd say harder. The ball is pitched overarm, which gives the pitcher more control. There is no run up, which gives the batter less time to judge the pitch. The ball is smaller, and the bat is rounded, meaning if you want a good hit you've got to hit it right in the center of the bat. Also, the distance between batter and pitcher is shorter - which gives you less time to react, as the pitching speeds are similar to those of a cricket fast bowler, only slightly less.

However, I'm no baseball expert. Cricket is a much better sport in my opinion! Love it.
Robmac's guide to cricket for yanks

Cricket has two teams of eleven players... You have two innings each, 10 outs (as opposed to three) make up an inning. Just like baseball... the batting side want runs, the pitching side want outs (called wickets).

The pitching side can get an out in a few ways, the easiest to understand are below...

- Caught : Fly-out in baseball
- Run Out : Ground out in baseball
- Bowled : Strike out in baseball

There is no strike zone... instead there are three wooden sticks that make what is called a wicket... if the ball hits these (the batter misses the ball) then it is the equivilant of a strike...

In cricket you dont have three strikes to be out... JUST ONE STRIKE = OUT

A batter will keep batting until he is out. If he scores runs, he will keep trying to do so and does not go back to the dugout until dismissed.

After the whole team is dismissed in order (10 outs)... the teams swap.

----------------------

The offense try to score runs by hitting the ball... Instead of rounding 4 bases after hitting the ball, they simply run back and forth between the two wickets... each time they do this they earn one run. Obviously they have to be careful and only run if they have hit the ball far enough... unlike baseball, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO RUN if you make contact with the ball and thus the batter has to judge whether its worth risking a ground out when choosing to try and get a run.

If the batter hits the ball and it reaches the fence the batter gets 4 runs.

If the batter hits the ball and it goes over the fence on the fly (like a homerun) it gets 6 runs.

This is really all you need to know...
Last edited by RobbieMac2002 at Mar 17, 2007,