Page 1 of 2
Hey im looking for a good marshall for Metal Rhythym and Lead any suggestions i want something either a half stack or a combo.

Ive already seen a few marshall's

The AVTX series, the MG series and also the the DSL100.

But im not sure which 1 is good for Metal stuff like Trivium, Metallica, Megadeth stuff like that.

Thanks

RIG
------------------------
Ibanez Prestige 2550E
Yamaha EG112
Laney HCM30R
how much are you looking to spend? otherwise take out the AVTX and MG stuff. JCM series would serve you fine
There is a new amp called Marshall JVM or something... Check it out!
My Gear
Electrics - Ibanez RG370DX
Acoustics - Takamine EG510SC, Victoria Classic
Pedals - Ibanez WD7, Marshall ED1, Digitech DF7, Boss AC3, Marshall RG1, Digitech XDD
Amplifiers - Laney HCM15R, Roland Micro Cube
Never ever let people think you are considering an MG or an AVT ever again. JCM 800 or a DSL 2000. After that its all up to personal preference.
Quote by mattblooze69
if cash not problem howabout engl powerball? pisses all over marshall 4 hat sound!!

How do you figure that? I'm pretty sure all the bands he mentioned used Marshalls, I know Metallica did and Trivium do.

Anyway as mentioned the JCM range, the TSL is probably a little too modern sounding for your tastes. Check out the JCM800, 900 and the 2000 DSL
^ +1
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Metallica nowadays use Mesa Boogie (last time i bothered to check). but yeah if your dad is paying then certainly look outside the realms of Marshall, ENGL for example create some solid rocking amps and are definately awesome.
Actually Megadeth no longer uses Marshall. Dave Mustaine is working on a Line 6 signature amp. I know I know.....but its true. Plus with bands like Megadeth and Metallica, the sound evolved a lot. So it really depends on if you want the original older sound or the newer higher gain style. Look just got play a DSL 2000 and a JCM 800. but don't limit yourself to just Marshall.
you're dad is paying for you're amp? That's really lucky man.

Look at the new marshall JVM its the highest gain marshall ever made. If not i'd say JCM2000 TSL or DSL
UG Profile

- Ibanez S470DX
- Orange Rockerverb 50 head
- Orange PPC212
- MXR Micro Amp
- CryBaby Wah

Member of the Matt Bellamy > Shred Club! PM Aidy Damage or Metallica708 to join!
Member Of The Orange Revolution Club
If money isn't to much of a problem, then you really should check out ALL of your options, not just in the marshall world, other high gain amps to look into that are equal or better than marshalls are:
Framus Cobra/Dragon
Peavey JSX/XXX/6505/5150
ENGL Powerball/Fireball/Savage
Bogner Uberschall/XTC
Mesa Mark IV/Rectifiers/Roadster
Rivera Knucklehead
Genz Benz El Diablo
Splawn

Man there's a whole world of high gain amps out there that are simply amazing, don't limit yourself to the main name and read around, any one of those amps could match or beat a Marshall.
Thats my two cents.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
Quote by mattblooze69
mode four.

Wrong answer.
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
trivium use krank amps well corey does matt uses a marshall dsl 50 but i would look at so,me hueghs and kettner amps they soubd gd from what i have heard. Laney? I love laneys but i can't afford one anyway a good hi gain valve amp is what you're looking 4
Yeah I forgot to mention the Hughes and Kettner Trilogy or the Switchblade. And the Laney GH-50L.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
Hey I totally reccomend you getting the MG10CD amp. It sounds so much better than any cab ever made. That shit is SOLID.
My Band

Equipment:
ESP EC-500 EMG 81/85
Mesa Boogie MK III
Marshall 1960B cab
Quote by IXI Streak IXI
Hey I totally reccomend you getting the MG10CD amp. It sounds so much better than any cab ever made. That shit is SOLID.

what the hell? i hope you're joking
JCM800 cranked with a booster.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by treagar
How do you figure that? I'm pretty sure all the bands he mentioned used Marshalls, I know Metallica did and Trivium do.

Anyway as mentioned the JCM range, the TSL is probably a little too modern sounding for your tastes. Check out the JCM800, 900 and the 2000 DSL

yeah Metallica uses Mesa Boogie dumb ass
my gear:

Schecter Hellraiser Sunset FR
Line 6 spider 2: 212 combo 120 watt =\
Line 6 guitar port
EVH frankenstein painted Explorer
Quote by taylorfrey66

..you're actually the one being a dumbass.

metallica change amps more than you change your underwear.
My Setup!
Schecter C-1 Elite..

Laney GH50L
Crate GX412 Cab
Crate XT65R

EHX Holy Grail
BBE Sonic-Stomp Sonic Maximizer.

Member #24 of the EHX Guild
all i can say is don't buy an MG, they are appauling.
Gear: ESP MH250 NT
ESP EX400 ow
Ashton Dualler

Marshall MG50DFX

Jim Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
EHX metal muff
JCM 800 at full volume + OD pedal =
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Quote by Rock Boy
There is a new amp called Marshall JVM or something... Check it out!

+1 on the MArshall JVM Marshalls highest gain tube amp to date and it sounds fantastic!
Gear: Yamaha AES 620 Equipped with SD JB+APH-1
Fender American Deluxe V-Neck Equipped with BKP Mothers Milk
Fender Pro Jr., Traynor YCV 50, Diamond J-Drive MK3, Fulltone 70's Fuzz, Teese RMC Wizard Wah, Boss dd-3, Boss CE-5, Korg DT-10 pedal tuner.
Marshall DSL50
or
ENGL Fireball/Screamer

you don't need superexpensive equipment.
Orange Enthousiast.
Quote by taylorfrey66

Yeah you might wanna check before you go owning yourself, dumb ass.
Metallica use Mesa/ Boogies now, but I read somewhere that a Marshall was Kirk's first half stack.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
^ the only point I was trying to make was someone said an ENGL would be perfect, but out of Trivium, Metallica and Megadeth the only thing really common amongst them was the use of Marshalls so a Marshall would be ideal if that was your kind of music. And yeah Metallica use mainly Mesa's now but have used tonnes of amps in their time, including Vox AC30's but it was Marshall in the early days.
^
^
^
^
It's gotta be a joke. Or else he's retarted. Even a Crate would sound better than that! Yeah, Marshall JCM series, Peavey, or Mesa/Boogie Dual Recto
OK for anyone to say "Metallica uses...." is pointless. They change all the time. Old Metallica is a totally different sound than new Metallica. Hence different amps.....it all depends on the sound you are looking for. You want more of a thrash sound? Go for Marshall....You want a high gain monster....go for Mesa.

And whoever said that Trivium uses Krank....if your going to say something like that please give some evidence. The site says DSL 100, how ever current pictures show Mesa. So where do you get the Krank Idea?
Correct Me If I'm Wrong

Ok, to solve the who uses what dilemna..

Metallica (to my knowledge) used Marshalls for the first two and a half albums, where they layered a bunch of amps, possibly marshall and mesa, for Master of Puppets. For sure though Kill 'Em All and Ride the Lightning were recorded with marshalls.

Megadeth used Marshalls in their debut all the way till sometime in the nineties, and then Dave dropped the "rust" lineup, and his backline, and they've been switching around a lot since then. Also: Marty Friedman used Crate Blue Voodoo's for a long time, they sound very marshally with a good re-tube and re-bias, and are waaay cheaper.

Trivium has pretty much always used Marshalls, even when they were endorsed by Krank, as they would empty out their krank casings and retrofit them with Marshalls... After the crusade howerever, they seem to have officially taken up Mesa's..

Either way, I'd reccomend checking out Marshall JCM800's and DSL's, avoid Mode Four, MG, and AVT. Haven't played a JVM, but the soundclips sound "meh" in my opinion, nothing new, and "higher gain" doesn't neccesarily mean better, I mean, look at krank...

Also check out:
Mesa Mark series, anywhere from Mark IIC+ to IV as Metallica has used every single version between those two.
Dual Rectifiers if you like St Anger's tone...
and any amp similar in styling to a Marshall's, like Soldano's, Splawn's, maybe even some Randall's, especially the old Century 200's.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
I thought Trivium used Peavey 5150s on Ascendancy ?? Damn, this dudes are just like their idols, Metallica, changing amps all day long....... I wish I had the money to do that !!

Anyway, guys, I'm kinda in love with the boosted marshall tone......

Ok, suppose you were to boost a 50watt Plexi.... or a JCM...... how would you boost it ??
1. Clean Booster Pedal (Keeley Katana, MXR Micro Amp, Xotic RC Booster, Barber Launch Pad) With no added dist, just the amp pushed into heavy massive crunch.

2. OD pedal (Tubescreamer, Tubescreamer Clones, Landgraff OD, Crowther Hotcake, Xotic AC Booster, Hermida Zendrive, Xotic BB Preamp, Klon Centaur, TIM, Timmy, the list goes on and on..... and on) So it would clean boost and add pedal dirt ??

3. or a Graphic EQ pedal ??

Tones I'm after ?? Nick Sterling, old Slayer, Yngwie, Carl Verheyen, Children of Bodom, Guthrie Govan.........
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
I'd buy a Plexi and an Xotic RC and AC booster pedals...

The AC would add grit/crunch/overdrive, and the RC would be the solo boost for even more volume..

That will get you a beautiful tone, buy probably a little bit lighter than old slayer... You're talking Show No Mercy, Hell Awaits, and Reign In Blood right?
JCM800 - 2210 - 100 watts, 2 channels, reverb- $1200
I'd stay away from the mode four, I've seen/read/witnessed those amps making problems IE: bad sound, buzzing, humming etc. I don't think they were made to well.

Might want to look into a Mesa Single, Dual, or triple rectifier. If you want nasty loud distortion those amps are fantastic at doing that

good luck on your search.
Quote by Got2MuchGear
JCM800 - 2210 - 100 watts, 2 channels, reverb- $1200
I'd stay away from the mode four, I've seen/read/witnessed those amps making problems IE: bad sound, buzzing, humming etc. I don't think they were made to well.

Might want to look into a Mesa Single, Dual, or triple rectifier. If you want nasty loud distortion those amps are fantastic at doing that

good luck on your search.

Amen..
The only good thing mode fours can do, are essentially being a PA for effects and clean guitar... they pump out like, four hundred watts? So if you get all your tone from a stombox, they really are decent for that, as they are more reliable than a Powerblock, MG, or AVT...

Plus, yah, the recto's really are pretty lame unless you dedicate a day straight of eqing, while its cranked, cause once you turn it down, it sounds completely different..

If you go with a mesa, I strongly recommend a Mark IV, its probably twice the Mesa the Rectifier even wants to be...
An AVT50 isn't too bad for a bedroom and recording amp, but the bigger ones don't make much sense. The little ones are voiced differently too.
Last edited by STABxYOU at Mar 18, 2007,
Yea, im really not a fan of new marshall, the JCM2000 is a good amp , but even the jcm2000 has the lack of Soul and tube warmth that Jcm800's, even Jcm900's retain. I've played so many marshall amps you cant beat plexi's, JMP's, 800's or even the Solidstate Artists from the 80's are just Miles better then freakin MG's, AVT's, the JVM which is going to flop worse then the Mode 4 did. My local music store has had the Same 5 mode 4's for 5-6 months now, and they've Had at least 20 or more plexis ordered and the new handwired... It sucks that marshall doenst really have a tube amp in the $400-600 range, it forces anyone with a small budge to end up with a piece of Crap and 6 months later they endup selling that piece of crap to get a used JCM800 or something in that flavor

almost forgot.

The mesa rectifiers are tricky to setup, but once you find that sweet spot, its perfect. I run a Dual rec and a Jcm800 head, two 4x12 cabs and its just heaven as far as tone goes. Line 6 would pay Billions to get that sound man... Billions... BILLIONS!
Page 1 of 2