I have an 81/60 set. I love it. but on their websiet i found there were actually others i never heard of. So can someone tell me generally what each pup is used for and what type of music its generally directed towards? Like i said i have the 81/60 combo but what differences are there between the 60 and the 60A, or the 81 and 85, or 89, or 91...

81-
60-
60A-
85-
89-
91-
look dude umm i think all emg activz are not that good these humbuckers must sound vintage so get urself an emg hz passive
Quote by RedMoonMan
Cause Your A Weak Ass Little Bitch!!!!

Quote by grim1
Says the person with a White Stripes avatar.

loool fucked yu right didnt he?
Quote by Lord Lustinhell
look dude umm i think all emg activz are not that good these humbuckers must sound vintage so get urself an emg hz passive

i can only hope that was a joke. and look at your sig. you own a k-4. you couldnt even afford the k-6. is that why you think the hz are better? because i have the Z6 and its the same guitar as the K-6 except without a trem. so i dunno how you think hz are better than actives. and im not looking at them to buy, i was just wondering.
81- Higher treble sound, good for galloping rythems, very crunchy, etc. Not too great on cleans, you have to roll the volume down to get a good clean tone IMO
60- The best for cleans, very bassy but with enough mid range to prevent the sound from getting muddy.
60A- ^see above.
85- Alot more mid range than the 81 with a higher bass range too, and has better cleans than the 81 IMO.
89- Its very much like the 85, but with a coil tap, basically, it splits the coil so you're only using one single coil at a time.
91- ...........sadly, i do not know anything about this one, nor have I even heard of it

Hope that helps
Quote by Lord Lustinhell

haha omg thats nearly good enough to be in my sig, just be quite from now on.
Quote by Lord Lustinhell

1. Learn to spell
2. Get on topic, he wasn't asking about the passives
3. Why do you think he wants a vintage sound?
4. Why would you want an EMG for a vintage sound at that?
I own the Cort EVL K6 and besides the fact that it play better than the K4, it sounds better due to the 81/85 in it.
  • Ibanez Soundgear
  • Cort SJB-3 Acoustic
  • Epiphone Goth X-Treme
  • DigiTech BP50
  • Epiphone Les Paul Custom 3 Plus LTD
  • Epiphone Les Paul Standard
  • Cort Evl-K6
  • DigiTech RP80

Cort Guitar Owner's Club 2nd member.
Quote by DimebagJosho
81 and 85 for the win.. zakk wylde set, sounds immense

Actually the Kerry King set is even better because it has the extra preamp in the circuit.
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
Quote by Cecil Gonzales
Actually the Kerry King set is even better because it has the extra preamp in the circuit.

sweet, i take it there more expensive the ZW Set?
I prefer 81-81 combos, Thats just me though, I like a punchy neck tone.
hmm...tbh...81/60 is my favourite...cos i sometimes use a clean tone
Quote by DimebagJosho
sweet, i take it there more expensive the ZW Set?

Yeah about £50 more expensive
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
Quote by toddpens8771
i can only hope that was a joke. and look at your sig. you own a k-4. you couldnt even afford the k-6. is that why you think the hz are better? because i have the Z6 and its the same guitar as the K-6 except without a trem. so i dunno how you think hz are better than actives. and im not looking at them to buy, i was just wondering.

dude r u kiddin me look i really don't like active emgz actually i hate all active pickups the sound of em s so thin they could break a glass on clean... thats sad btw look iv been playin guitar for less than a year so dunt count on me 2 pay more that 900 $ for a guitar dude :-s
Quote by RedMoonMan

Quote by grim1

and for all of those who don't like my spelling they can go eat my genital organs! come on it's obvious i am writing like this on purpose... it's more hardcore. if you do not like it i am totally willing to change for thy majesty!
Quote by RedMoonMan

Quote by grim1

Aaaaaaaaaaand btw alexi laiho uses the same EMGs what's the problem with that? and why am i trying to justify myself to a bunch of people who...... probably know better than me :-s damn
Quote by RedMoonMan

Quote by grim1

^ Use real words, and don't triple post. Edit button. You're giving yourself far too much importance, by the way. We really don't care about you, stop acting like we do.

JimmyTheRipper gave a fairly good overview of the different tonal characteristics of the pickups. Some of the things he said though will only really apply if you have a tube amp - if you're running a solid state amp, the EMGs will drive your gear harder and make it punchier and more distorted, but you'll also run out of headroom faster. Solid state amps need immense amounts of headroom for playing heavily distorted music at volume - my Fender solid state 100w combo starts to run out of headroom with my Rocktron Silver Dragon at about volume level 3. Still reasonably loud, but overall very disappointing. This is why there are 300w solid state amps out there.

I'm also going to stick my personal preferences in here - I prefer an 81/81 set to an 81/85 set. This is because I work on the Evolution idea (Dimarzio Evolution, not Darwin ), that is that rather than the neck pickup being wound to produce more mids and bass than the bridge, it should be about equal. The positioning of the pickup effects the tone enough for me, making it "thicker." If a more bass-heavy pickup is put in a bass position, it just gets muddy to my ear.

This is not to say, however, that you should go out and buy a JB and stick it in the neck. What I did with my guitar is I went out and bought a Lace Transbucker for bridge or neck, and put it in the neck. It's got a wonderful tone, and is punchy as all hell, but can be very mild too. (Having ceramic magnets would help too - it looks kind of like a white EMG, well worth checking out for people looking for a great passive but high-output pickup.)
no
Can somebody please explain the difference between active and passive pickups? cuz im buying an LTD ESP EC-1000 and it has the 81/60 active combo... and I just wanna know why some people like alexi laiho and the dude from lamb of god preffer the passives?
Quote by nizorox
Can somebody please explain the difference between active and passive pickups? cuz im buying an LTD ESP EC-1000 and it has the 81/60 active combo... and I just wanna know why some people like alexi laiho and the dude from lamb of god preffer the passives?

I would say they prefer them because thats just their opinion. Btu to the dude that was bitchin about the thinness of active pups, change your strings away from 8s dude. Also, my guitar was $700 including a coffin case and shipping, so dont give me your $900 BS.
lord lustinhell, most people wouldnt want alexi laihos tone, although he is an amazing guitarist, i just dont like his tone. 81/85 best IMO. but its all preference dude
Quote by cagnius
I'd rather be spooning than doing my essay...
for all the assholes in this thread:

first, i use 10's
second, for the guy who says that his k6 costs 700 with the coffin case and the shipping: where are you livin dude? in the great republic of cheap guitars? here it's about 1000 somethin :-s
third, i don't care abt my cort anymore m gettin a costumised les paul please go visit my latest thread i really need advice.
Quote by RedMoonMan

Quote by grim1