The term you're looking for is "relicing."

When you "relic" a guitar, you make it look worn.
(Use the search)

And I wouldn't do it on any guitar that I didn't build or any guitar that I bought for more than $200.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
i think there are threads on this already, y'know- try using the search function.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
2 ways.

1) play the thing for hours a day for a long time.

2) for starters, get the guitar refinished with nitro (like the vintage guitars are) and then you can use a slew of techniques as far as getting it to look vintage. To sound vintage, get a set of vintage voiced pickups, such as Antiquity series pickups.
To get a vintage looking neck, refinish it and use tinted nitro, it should give a maple neck a darker, more vintage feel.
Gear:

American Strat
Epiphone Valve JR head - Volume Mod'ed
Custom 1x12 with Private Jack speaker
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Boss DS-2 Distortion
Boss MT-2 MetalZone
Ebow

Gretsch Acoustic
buy one from a pawnshop that is covered in stickers. I bought an amazing MIA peavey falcon, whose stock pickups i acutally like better than a duncan that was installed (albeit in the wrong place :P) when I found it. Took them stickers off and WHAM: instant relic, with sexier grain than any strat I've ever seen.

some light soaking of the plastic parts in tea/coffee/soy sauce will brown them a bit, then rust the metal a tiny bit (not the parts that will need lubricating, just for cosmetics), then sand with VERY light grade sandpaper on the finish, more where your arms would be. there's also something you can spray on to yellow up a maple neck.

last, ding the paint at the bottom, horns, anyhwhere it might be dropped.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
dont do it because it ruins a perfectly good guitar for what just cosmetics?
Quote by Stop Messin'
Every pic of Jimmy Page taken looking up at him. He looks like a 10 foot tall GOD!
just play it for 30 years straight.
GEAR
Guitar
Ibanez RG42DX
Peavey Valveking100
Avatar 4x12 cabinet w/ Celestion Vintage 30's
Line 6 Spider 3
DOD Flanger
Ernie Ball Strings
Bass
Dean Edge 4
Peavey TNT 135
GHS Strings
Wait a while.
Gibson Les Paul Studio w/ EMG 81/85
Fender American Vintage Series '52 Telecaster
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Dunlop MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
i think reliced guitars look great but doing it on purpose or buying one like that seems stupid

get a guitar you love then play it your whole life and then be proud to have a true relic
Quote by beeboshain
marshall mg100dfx some people slay but i love it, think its a good amp for the money and you cant go wrong with marshall...its english!
Ok sorry about this lungs dont wanna take over your thread or anything but about the soaking plastics in tea...will it give it that vintage cream look because i was thinking about getting new covers and knobs for my eric clapton strat that look like that.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Right first of all, don't let sandpaper near the thing. It'll look fake and horrible.

throw key's, coins any small metal objects at it, put a cigarette out on it, spill a little bit of beer on it (only on the finish no crucial parts) maybe drop it once or twice, don't alter it so that its hard to play, though it would be best just keeping your guitar for years and years, you could speed that up by playing a little more violently, anyway, poly and nitro are finishes, poly is thicker, and nitro is thinner, used on older fender guitars and the higher classed ones (and the highway one series) these 'relic' easier and apparently let the woods vibrations ring better.