I am in a new band, we have been together since July, but before this band we were in other bands together with other people. The current band we are in now does cover songs along with a couple of our original songs. Since we played a show in our town a couple weeks ago, we have gotten on a the radar now and we are getting more shows. Next month we have a show at a party that is 5 hours long, we wont be playing this long, maybe 1 1/2 because there are 2 other bands also. But the person who the party is for asked how much we charged, and I have no clue what to respond to that with. I mean i dont want to be ridiculous about it or anything and over/undercharge her. We are a four piece band, what do you guys think?
Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Custom(Alpine White)
-Alvarez RD20S(Natural)
-Ibanez AE20E (Blue)
-Peavey Valveking half stack
-Crate Blue Voodoo 6212
-Boss ME-50
-BC Rich Warlock Exotic w EMG 81

Ashton's Magnum Myspace
i don't know but i would find out how much the other bands are charging/being charged or other bands in the local area that are at your discovery level...?

Origionaly Posted by CTFOD
Origionaly Posted by hownowbrowncow:
Get a new bicycle
Then you can ride it with no handlebars.

No handlebars.

No handlebars...
In England, a good established band that does regular gigs can charge £1.5k

The bands I started out in we're paid around £250 for a 1 hour 45 minute set including break.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
I think 200 might be good? I dunno, remember that they are hiring three and wanna be affordable.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
If she's a good friend, I'd say like 100$. If she lieks you she'll probably ask you back and give you more. Plus you might get tips from the people at the party.
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
^Tips?

I doubt it, I've NEVER seen that. Not in cash anyway. Tips are usually in liquid form. People may buy you a drink or two, but if people tip bands at parties in your area, then it's a damn sight different to where I'm from.
Tip jars can be a great way to make cash, but it depends on what kind of act you are. If you are a 5 piece rock band I would say no, but if you are in a 3 piece jazz ensemble or an acoustic duo or something I would put one out.

As for how much to charge, I usually charge more for private parties than I do for bars. However since you are just beginning and this is one of the first gigs? I would say $100-$200 is reasonable.

The trick is always to ask more than what you expect. Is easier to talk your way down than up. Also under no circumstances every agree to something like this " Hey, I'll give you $75 but $150 if I really like you" You'll get $75.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
Just have a couple hardshell cases open in front of the "stage", some people will throw a few bucks in.
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
Quote by TehNez
Just have a couple hardshell cases open in front of the "stage", some people will throw a few bucks in.

^_^
well.. it depends.. back at home people would pay 200 pesos for a ticket just to see one popular band and some front acts, but where I'm here right now, (our country's capital) tickets to gigs are a lot cheaper.
^_^
If you're just starting out, I'd say tell her that you'll take any offer.

Yes it might mean that you don't get anything for the one show, but really, you're just trying to get your music out there, right? You don't need to be paid after playing your second show.

I suggest telling her whatever she thinks is reasonable.

But that's just me
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
Thanks for the advice guys.

But to greendayguitar, just to clear things up,this isnt our second show, we have played more at other parties just around a big group of friends, but this is our second paying show.
Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Custom(Alpine White)
-Alvarez RD20S(Natural)
-Ibanez AE20E (Blue)
-Peavey Valveking half stack
-Crate Blue Voodoo 6212
-Boss ME-50
-BC Rich Warlock Exotic w EMG 81

Ashton's Magnum Myspace
Thank god that someone actually wants to hear you and take what they give you for a furture basis.
Gear
Custom Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Acoustic
VK 112
Epi VJ
EHX Holy Grail
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Modded Tubescreamer TS7 -> TS-808
Strat Knockoff
Quote by greendayguitar
If you're just starting out, I'd say tell her that you'll take any offer

Never tell anyone this, I'm serious.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
anytime I play at parties, I do it for free and take my payment in the form of free food and beverages. Especially if it's a friend's party.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
when i used to play in the shit holes of the appalachian valley all of my bands would charge enough so that all the members got about $70. for a 4 peice alot of times we all got closer to $90. we wouldnt show up for less that $60. we did play free alot at benefits though.
Quote by Dutch_Apples
Never tell anyone this, I'm serious.

+1. It'll make you sound needy and desperate.
^_^
Quote by nephi
+1. It'll make you sound needy and desperate.

Well, I didn't realize he has played many shows before. If it were his second show every or something, I wouldn't have asked for a lot.

That's just me, and yes; I'm stupid.

Quote by RadioHead22
i dont play in a band but my teacher (hes 16) plays at churchs and gets about 50 dollors a show on sunday, and 25$ a rehearsul, so id say around $60-75 each band member
My Music
Quote by x_themetalfan_x
For a second I thought the title said "I swallowed my dick".

my gear:
fender stratocaster american deluxe SSS(s1)
G-DEC 30W amp
custom carrying case
jasmine by takamine acoustic
silvertone acoustic

AMAZING GUITAR SOLO!!!
Quote by greendayguitar
That's just me, and yes; I'm stupid.

Oh come on.. Don't say that..
^_^
Quote by Yahz0r
I'd do it for free. No doubt.

Well, when you're just starting out, its all right to do it free. Just for exposure.

Um, you do get free drinks or something right?
^_^
charge $5 alot of people will come because it's relitively cheap and you'll end up making more money than $10 a show
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Quote by Drmckool
charge $5 alot of people will come because it's relitively cheap and you'll end up making more money than $10 a show

actually really depends on your reputation..
^_^
Quote by nephi
Well, when you're just starting out, its all right to do it free. Just for exposure.

Um, you do get free drinks or something right?

Pfft. i already said it was alright to do it free for exposure, and people bit my head off

Quote by RadioHead22
no free is fine but $5 a person gets me tickets to big concerts
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land