I'm really new to guitars, just got my first a week ago. I'm learning chords at this point but I came across this site that recommends using middle, ring and pinky for G major instead of first, middle and ring. What do you use?
They say to do that because if you do then you dont have to move your hand to play the G.

I play it with the first three fingers.

If you do it they're way then you wont have to move your hand to go from a G to a C to an Am to a D etc.

It can be easier in the long run. But it doesnt make a lot of difference. I'm pretty sure most people play it with the index.

EDIT: I mean move your hand up and down the neck by the way. Obviously you'll have to adjust your fingers.

My Guitars:
Fender Mustang.
Yamaha FG-413SL.
middle first ring is easier for me but just use what ever feels comfortable to u. that goes with every chord u will play
I use my first 3, but I am actually trying to use my last three because that way you can switch chords easier. Different chord fingerings are just to help you in switching chords faster. Playing a G with the first three fingers and switching to a C might be hard, but if you used the last three that chord change might be easier. Its better to learn both, in my opinion.
86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.
I use the first, second and thrid fingers to play G, but I have seen people using fourth finger. It depends, if you are fairly new to guitar and your fourth finger isn't strong enough yet then I reccomend using third finger.
Quote by AznElliot518
I use my first 3, but I am actually trying to use my last three because that way you can switch chords easier. Different chord fingerings are just to help you in switching chords faster. Playing a G with the first three fingers and switching to a C might be hard, but if you used the last three that chord change might be easier. Its better to learn both, in my opinion.

Exactly what I was thinking. It's so much easier to do first three but when switching to C I cannot do it.

Thank you all for your help.
teaching somebody recently and they found the four fingered G major Much easier to play than the three fingered variety. See below for both variates.

4finger 3finger
-----3---------|-------3--------||
-----3---------|----------------||
----------------|----------------||
----------------|----------------||
-----2---------|-------2--------||
-----3---------|-------3--------||
use the pinky helps a shitload in the future
*Guitars*

Fender Standard Strat

Ibanez DT155

Ibanez RG2EX1