If I buy this head, would i be able to buy another pre-amp later and use the head solely as a power amp?

Thanks guys
-Indie
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
The FX loop is placed after EQ, comp & all the other gadgets, so if you plug it in in the FX return, you'll only be using the poweramp.
Quote by John Swift
My neighbour bought his son a Mark Hoppus bass for Christmas, the set-up on it was terrible (the neck had so much bow they should have supplid arrows with it).

Its nice to be important, but its important to be nice...
So i can plug the pre-amp into the fx loop and it will work fine?
Quote by Bumper

You can plug a pre-amp into either the effects loop return or the normal instrument in. If you go for the former, turn the MAG preamp volume right down and bear in mind the tone controls on the Ashdown are all bypassed. This seems to me to be a waste of the Ashdown's capabilities. I find the best tone from the MAG is to be had when the preamp is turned right up or just below that (there's a bit of extra bass and growl there) and by using the effects loop in then you'd lose that.

I really don't think I'd put a preamp in front of a MAG (well, I have a MAG and I don't) because it doesn't make sense to me. I'd use one in front of a tube head to get some easily controlled overdrive from it, but the solid-state distortion you get by putting a high amplitude signal into the Ashdown isn't good. If you really want to use a pre-amp why don't you get a cheaper power amp instead?

By the way, what speakers are you looking at getting to go with that head?
Well i was thinking of putting the ABM pre-amp before it so i could get the 7 band EQ and tube drive from it when i had the money, but i just checked the website and they have discontinued it so i think i will just be using that. I'm gonna buy the 4x10 first and 1x15 later on probably
Quote by Bumper

Ah well that makes sense. I've looked into getting a tube preamp for the MAG too actually, in particular the English Muff'n but at the moment I'm considering other options. I'm probably going to run it in stereo with a small valve guitar combo or head like the Epi VJ instead. Add a chorus to that set-up and I should sound pretty good
Quote by smb
Ah well that makes sense. I've looked into getting a tube preamp for the MAG too actually, in particular the English Muff'n but at the moment I'm considering other options. I'm probably going to run it in stereo with a small valve guitar combo or head like the Epi VJ instead. Add a chorus to that set-up and I should sound pretty good

Ahh i never considered the pre-amp pedals, and yeah i love the sound of chorus, a compression pedal is on my list too, then i'm pretty much set
Quote by Bumper

Technically speaking yes you could if you just put everything flat so that nothing happens to the sound, then yes it will function as a pre-amp.
What I woudl suggest you do is just put the preamp before the head, and just use two preamps to get the sound you want. Just turn the output on the external pre-amp down, or the input on your ashdown down, or something.

But if you ONLY want a preamp and a power amp, try this:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/live/navigation/power-amps?N=100001+305334
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/navigation/bass-power-amplifiers?N=100001+304544