I tried creating my own solos now that i have learnt some scales.. Pentatonic mainly.

My guitar teacher is able to make solos on the spot whenever i ask him to. He just plays it and all the notes are in harmony, no bad sounding parts. How does he do it? When i try to make solos by joining scales, it sounds horrible. Is there a method or do i have sto start and end each scale at a certain note?
He obviously knows alot of theory and more then just his penatonic scales. My guitar teacher I used to go to, he was in high school and he could do something like that.

EDIT: Just reread. You know more then just your penatonic, but still you need to know alot.
"See, you're born punk. When you get your first haircut, then you're alternative. Then you let it grow long, then you're metal." - Kirk Hammett
Last edited by guitarkid7 at Mar 17, 2007,
Switching from scale to scale. Sliding into teh next scale makes it blend more. Thats the way I do it anyway.

Also to make you're solos harmonize. I don't know any other way but to practice. Thats what I did. I dedicated alot of my practice time to work on improvisation. Just sit there and make up licks.

remember solo's are built up of licks. Listen to Free Bird for example. A prime example of repeated licks. You have a teacher. Have you ever asked how he does it? Maybe you should. I never had a teacher. But I'm sure they'll help alot if you ask them too.
Guitars:
Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Custom WCR and Dimarzio equipped
Amp:
Marshall 2266 Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960TV
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
What do you mean by joining scales? You can't just play random notes in a scale, it'll sound horrible that way. You'll have to be playing around with them trying to find licks and all.

For example: While playing in the pentatonic scale, you'll be playing in one box (just a easy example)
http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php
e-----------------------------------------5---8
b---------------------------------5---8
g-------------------------5---7
d------------------5---7
a-----------5---7
e--5----8

Now...on another box formation...

e-------------------------------------------------------8---10
b-------------------------------------------8----10
g---------------------------------7----9
d-----------------------7----10
a------------7----10
e-8----10

(Okay, this is my first time doing tabs...so it may be quite hard to understand >_>

Now you found those 2 box shapes in the A pentatonic minor scale...Start going up and down on the first box...

What you can do now is you can transition from the first box to the second box...ex:

e-----------------------------------------5---8s10
b---------------------------------5---8
g-------------------------5---7
d------------------5---7
a-----------5---7
e--5----8

That's basically how I started out. It's a bad explanation, sorry. But there are tons more lessons on this site, just look out for them.

edit: Also, I sometimes mix this scale with other scales; Ionian, Phyrgian, Lydian, etc.

Just keep practicing those scales and play em' with a backtrack and just try to figure out licks and see what works well with this and that and etc.

Good luck.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Last edited by Jinskee at Mar 17, 2007,