So iv been quite interested in buying an Epiphone valve junior lately. I listened to some soundclips, and really liked them, and tried it in the local music store, and liked it.

I was still torn as to whether to buy the combo or the head though. I have a good 1x12 cab, but the head is still a bit more expensive in the UK, and i want something nice and portable. But i understand the G12T-75 in my cab is gonna sound a lot better than the VJ's chinese weber clone speaker.

But then i saw this:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_ga5.htm

Specs are exactly the same as the VJ combo, and its only £66!

Im just worried because its a brand iv never heard of, and i dont want a POS.

So UG, what should i do?

Buy the VJ combo?
The VJ head?

or bite the bullet and risk the clone off of Thomann?
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Entirely your call, Dude.

The Epi head along with your cab will sound significantly better than the combo. But if you're thinking combo anyway, and the price difference is fairly considerable, I might be inclined to lean towards the clone. Especially if you're thinking about modding it, changing the speaker, stuff like that. May as well start as cheap as you can if you're gonna get in there.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Hm, I might get the head then. Theres only about £10 difference between the head and combo here, combo being £90, head being £100.

I was thinking of buying the combo, and doing a mod on the speaker output, so i can switch between 8 & 4 ohms, so i could use the cab with the combo. In which case i might go for the cheaper clone.

But im not too handy with the soldering iron, so the head might be a better option
I forgot that the head is more than the combo over there.

If you're thinking about doing a mod, that clone might be the way to go. I realize you'd feel a little safer with the name brand, but I'm pretty sure Epi's warranty voids as soon as you unscrew the back. If you could mod it so that you play it thru your cab at home, but can take it as a combo wherever you go, and save a few bucks on top of it... That might be the way to go.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Yeah, the Epi warranty is void as soon as any modding begins.

Do you know if the impedance switch mod is easy to do or not? If its fairly easy i think i might give the clone a try.
Check out the Gear Building & Customizing forum. I'm a big talker when it comes to mods, but so far I'm chicken. The VJ is what I intend to get started on, though. I got a book coming, I hope, next week that'll help to get my confidence up.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Ah, will do

Which mods you planning on doing?
I want to do a three position tone switch, and maybe a master volume. A standby might be nice, but I'm ok with warming it up with the volume off for a minute before I start playing, so I probably won't bother with that one.

I'm hoping once I open it up that I get into it. I got other amps that could use some work, and I can use the practice.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Sounds cool, you'll have to let me know how it goes, or even better, do a thread about it
Quote by Inspired_by_Vai

or bite the bullet and risk the clone off of Thomann?

thing is, that it's definitely not BETTER, but it surely can't be alot worse. i'd say it's like...maybe 5% worse? the difference would be barely noticable, although i haven't tired this amp, i'm sure it cant be complete shit.
It looks really good, but how can they make something with the same spec, with an added tone knob, for £40 cheaper?

Thats what worries me
well...

1) epiphone's brand costs
2) all their shit costs alot more (say, warranties etc etc)
3) the harley benton is made for thomann especially, while the VJ is actually shipped from USA (which was shipped to USA from a 3rd world country before). it saves the shipping, cause harley benton stuff comes directly.

i dont think that it's that surreal for it to be cheaper, but be nearly as good.
Quote by zwound
well...

1) epiphone's brand costs
2) all their shit costs alot more (say, warranties etc etc)
3) the harley benton is made for thomann especially, while the VJ is actually shipped from USA (which was shipped to USA from a 3rd world country before). it saves the shipping, cause harley benton stuff comes directly.

i dont think that it's that surreal for it to be cheaper, but be nearly as good.

Damn. You've convinced me. When it's time for me to get an amp to screw around with; it'll be that one.
I think i might go for the clone...

Does anyone know how hard it is to put an impedance switch in, so i can switch the speaker out between 4 & 8 ohms?
Quote by Inspired_by_Vai
I think i might go for the clone...

Does anyone know how hard it is to put an impedance switch in, so i can switch the speaker out between 4 & 8 ohms?

Either moderately, or quite hard. You might need a new output transformer if the one in it (which is most likely a cheap POS, anyway) doesn't have 4 and 8 ohm taps.
Actually, I've heard that it does. Don't quote me on this, but I think you can just hook up an 8 ohm out to the transformer and switch between 4 and 8.
someone should really get the clone, and test it out...everyone's so clueless what it's like...some people said that they'd buy it, but all the people changed their mind

damn, i'd buy it if i had any money right now...
U know if the clone is available in the US cuz id be willing to give it a shot if i had the money.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.