I have an epiphone riviera...I don't really use the neck pickup...and I'd like to remove it. Any suggestions on how to make a cover for the hole that it leaves in the body when I do this?
-Epiphone Riviera w/ Bigsby and Gibson 490r/498t combo
-Epiphone Es-333 Delonge Edition
-Fender Twin Reverb '65
You can fill it with a block of wood, but you'd have to sand it to the body and refinish the whole guitar to make it look natural.

I suggest you leave it there, even if you don't use it. Better than having a hole. Or replace it with one that you will use.
Well you could make it out of plastic which would look kinda lame depeding on what kind of finish you have. Or you could make it out of wood. Did you want to make it flush with the body? If not you could just mount it using the existing pickup ring screw holes.

But personally id keep the pickup there or change it. What can be gained from taking a pickup out? Other than the experience of patching the hole up I guess.
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is - Infinite.

http://thetravellingtrip.dmusic.com
^^ some sort of strange new slimey brew, its a psychedelic mess.
Check it out
On a hollow body, or semi-hollow body guitar, patching up a hole (especially one directly between the neck and bridge) would be bad for tone. Not to mention that personally, I think a patch up job on a semi/hollow body would look bad. It will also DESTORY the resale value. It would just be easier to disconnect the neck pickup, and use the 1st position on the selector as a killswitch.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
I certainly don't want to do something permanent...I was thinking something more like a plastic cover....but I'll have to consider it a little more. It just seems like such a waste of a perfectly good pickup I could use elsewhere.
-Fender Twin Reverb '65
Ooooh.

Well, go to the local guitar shop and buy a rear-cavity cover for a strat in either black or white. Whichever work aestheticly. Then take your pickups's mounting ring and tape it onto the cover. Take a box cutter, and trace around the pickup cover until you make an indent in the cover. Use a ruler to guide the blade as you cut all the way through the cover. Then tape the mounting ring back onto the cover, and then make screw holes in the 4 corners for the screws to hold the new cover in place. You may want to sand the sides of the cover to get rid of any nasty bumps.

Any questions?

EDIT: The end result will look similiar to the neck and bridge pickups in this guitar. http://www.gonfunko.com/cosmicdebris/texas-steinberger.jpg Except that there won't be single coils in place.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

Last edited by Will_Minus at Mar 18, 2007,
Interesting!

Quote by Will_Minus
Ooooh.

Well, go to the local guitar shop and buy a rear-cavity cover for a strat in either black or white. Whichever work aestheticly. Then take your pickups's mounting ring and tape it onto the cover. Take a box cutter, and trace around the pickup cover until you make an indent in the cover. Use a ruler to guide the blade as you cut all the way through the cover. Then tape the mounting ring back onto the cover, and then make screw holes in the 4 corners for the screws to hold the new cover in place. You may want to sand the sides of the cover to get rid of any nasty bumps.

Any questions?

EDIT: The end result will look similiar to the neck and bridge pickups in this guitar. http://www.gonfunko.com/cosmicdebris/texas-steinberger.jpg Except that there won't be single coils in place.
-Fender Twin Reverb '65
Do something similar to what tom delonge has on his gibson signiture, buy a small piece of 3ply scratchplate material, cut it onto a rectangle and fillet the corners (if you can). looks tidy and good.
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Join the only "REAL" Stratocaster Group here

Free Fender Strat here!
Quote by Darren5591
Do something similar to what tom delonge has on his gibson signiture, buy a small piece of 3ply scratchplate material, cut it onto a rectangle and fillet the corners (if you can). looks tidy and good.

Interesting suggestion Darren, and this is the gist of what I was trying to do (admittedly inspired by Tom)...but what is scratchplate material? Like the stuff they make pickguards out of?
-Fender Twin Reverb '65
Scratchplate = pickguard.

The material is just plastic, the same for tremolo cavity covers.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

Quote by Will_Minus
Scratchplate = pickguard.

The material is just plastic, the same for tremolo cavity covers.

Could I get it at a guitar shop?
-Fender Twin Reverb '65
Yes. Without a doubt. A cheap Strat-style rear cavity cover is also large enough to provide enough material for a second try if you fuck it up.
I'm gonna try it.
-Fender Twin Reverb '65
Any suggestion as to what to use to cut the material? Xactos have left the plastic I've used somewhat marred in the past.
-Fender Twin Reverb '65
Quote by Will_Minus
Ooooh.

Any questions?

There's your answer.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says: