this may of been asked before but..

i want to get better at improvising, and specifically improvising jazz.

i was just wondering want are some good scales to learn for a good jazzy improv.

Thanks
Quote by VR2005
I've decided I won't go into my usual rant about arpeggios being the best way to approach jazz. As for scales the modes of the Major Scale and Melodic Minor Scale (ascending) are usually good places to start. As for general tips, I would say find chord tones and STICK TO THEM at first atleast.

Ex: Say this was the chord progession you see on the lead sheet (ii-V-I)

Dm7-G7-Cmaj7

Well in modal thinking you would generally play D Dorian, G Mixolydian, and C Ionian in order and that does work, but to make sure you don't just sporadically play random notes try this.

Lets look at the chord tones of each chord:
Dm7- D-F-A-C 1st b3rd 5th and b7th

G7- G-B-D-F 1st 3rd 5th and b7th

Cmaj7- C-E-G-B 1st 3rd 5th and 7th

Now when you want to improvise over this progession, I would suggest looking for some half step resolutions to connect your lines. So as you're playing over the Dm7 and thinking of those chord tones, when it comes time for the chord to change looks for where the half steps resolve, because those are the strongest resolutions. In the case of Dm7 to G7 you have a B to a C so try to use those two notes together in transition.

As for G7-Cmaj7 well look there is a C to B transition, so you can use that again.

*This is just the bare bottom of the beginning so, yes, take this to heart but don't stick to it completly because you always need to branch and try new things.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. As for good solos to learn, there are the solos on "So What" by Miles Davis that have staple jazz licks. Just remember to learn them by ear and not by tab, I repeat not...by...tab.

EDIT: Oh yeah the MOST IMPORTANT THING IN JAZZ IS TO LISTEN AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE AND TRANSCRIBE YOUR FAVORITE SOLOS AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. There are loads of things to learn in albums. As some guy I can't remember said "Everything you need to learn about jazz is in your living room"

*Taken from a thread down the way
Co-Founder of the Jazz Guitarist Community. PM me or Zeppelin256 to join.

Come listen to Zeppelin256 and I jam over some jazz tunes! Unit 7
I also find that the blues scale works great for jazz. Thats whay I use most of the time in jazz band and it is pretty sweet.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Melodic Minor. I usually use the modes of the Major scale though. Experiment. Find out the chord tones, then put them in scales.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
^Yeah, that's what my long post basically talks about.

The notes in the chords.
DANNY

hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Thanks bret.

Aside from all that.. no scale really sounds jazzy.. but rather, the jazz sound is more dependant on how you play it (your rhythms/grooves [for ex. swinging 8th notes]).
But like said the best way to learn is to listen.
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is - Infinite.

http://thetravellingtrip.dmusic.com
^^ some sort of strange new slimey brew, its a psychedelic mess.
Check it out
yeah jazz doesnt have rules really hey guys.

But yeah maybe annalyse the chords a little and find the modes or scales, or those 'special' notes that give the chord its sound, and use those. Then maybe use some passing notes or something to add some tension

Am i correct in saying there arent many bends in jazz?
ESP CUSTOM SHOP HORIZON
FENDER USA STRAT
JACKSON DK2M
Peavey 5150ii w/ Marshall 1960DM cab
^ True, most jazz guitarists (bebop based styles) dont use bends often. Doesn't mean you can't though. I personally don't udnerstand why they dont bend.

I mean guitar was often approached like sax and they bend sax notes a lot.
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is - Infinite.

Check it out
just for the better of the thread, anyone got any good reccomendations to jazz bands/artists? or particular songs?
ESP CUSTOM SHOP HORIZON
FENDER USA STRAT
JACKSON DK2M
I love Wes Montgomery. He has some really, really good stuff. Also Pat Metheny, but hes more fusion (i think). I don't know much about Jazz Cats but Wes is a god.
DANNY

Well any reccomendation threads for jazz artist can easily be found in the Blues/Jazz forum, it's chock full of these things just to let you know.

cheers guys
ESP CUSTOM SHOP HORIZON
FENDER USA STRAT
JACKSON DK2M
Oh by the way, besides Wes definitely check out Tal Farlow, Barney Kessel, Joe Pass, and Kenny Burrell to name a few.

what scales, uhhhm, all of them.
and i think im the only person tht loves jazz, but hates listening to a straight head jazz guitar solo.
You mean standard bebop guitar?

Check it out
Quote by rixills
what scales, uhhhm, all of them.
and i think im the only person tht loves jazz, but hates listening to a straight head jazz guitar solo.

Well, that's all personal taste so it's all good. Just as long as you respect the talent it takes to make a compitent solo over bebop changes.