I just bought a Boss RC-2 Loop Station (the small one) and I was wondering if it was possible to play a backing track in a clean tone, then record a distortion tone over it. I have a Vox Valvetronix AD15 and whenever I try to record in one of the distorted amp models, all the sound coming out of the amp comes out distorted. Is there any way resolve this problem?
Gear
MIM Stratocaster w/ Vintage Noiseless Pickups
VOX Valvetronix AD15
BOSS Blues Driver
VOX V847 Wah
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
well I would think putting a distortion pedal before the loop station would do it but other than that I don't know.
Yeah you'll need to run your loop station through your effects loop, Im not sure if your amp has an effects loop, because currently you're distorting the signal of your loop station itself, instead you want to be going through your effects loop, so that your distortion doesnt effect your loop station signal, but just your guitar signal.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
No, it doesn't have an effects loop. Is there any other way to stop the signals from interfering?
Gear
MIM Stratocaster w/ Vintage Noiseless Pickups
VOX Valvetronix AD15
BOSS Blues Driver
VOX V847 Wah
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Hmmm, what you could do is record your distorted signal first, and then make it loop on your clean channel, so you can play the clean rhythm part while the distorted lead is looping. Thats the only thing I can think of since when you play your loop station through your amp that has a distorted signal, it'll end up distorting your loop stations signal, sorry bro, thats the only solution I can think of.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
I've not tried this with my looper but i thought it may be possible if you plug the loop station into the headphone jack play the distorted part then move it so that the looper is plugged in between the guitar and amp, then you could play the clean part over the distorted loop, but without an effects loop or a distortion/overdrive pedal i don't think you can play the distorted part over the clean part
The Stuff!
you need to put your amp on clean, and have a distortion effect before the RC-2 in the chain
WTLTL 2011
^^^ What he said, though I've got an RC-2 too and all the distortion pedals I've used in front of it have tended to make the guitar sound shit - the RC-2 doesn't seem to like them.