Page 1 of 3
hey i keep hearing this stuff about a devil's scale and how it was forbidden a long time ago and blah

could someone tell me what the sacle actually is please? it sounds really cool and i'm hoping someone can give me a "step-1\2-step-step" kindof answer.
thanks
A scale that's forbidden?... by who?
Do you really think someone can prohibite you to play some kind of Scale???

Don't think so and it sounds kinda strange to me...
He means the Tritonus Diabolica or something. it's a Cmajor scale with the F note becoming an F#. (C - F# gives a dissonant sound so they thought it was devil's work)

The Interval C - F# was the devil one the scale goes like this:

(Lydian scale (4th mode of C major): C, D, E, F#, G, A, B, C.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Mar 17, 2007,
yeah..back in like the middle ages the church banned it from being used in hyms
Quote by GOD*OF*ROCK

some guy today was all like, " ahah dude likez OMG you wanna see ma HUGE SAUSAGGE??? likez ZOMG its tEH biggest EVER! " And i was all like, no dude show me your DICK
Quote by xxdarrenxx
(Lydian scale (4th mode of C major): C, D, E, F#, G, A, B, C.

That is C Lydian, the 4th mode of G Major. The 4th mode of C Major would be F Lydian.
Alternatively there's the Tritone Scale - the Tritone being the Devil's Interval:

C Tritone Scale:
C Db E F# G Bb
1 b2 3 #4 5 b7

Each note has a note that's a tritone from it. It's rarely used by guitarists, but used a lot by saxophonists. Potential for a bit of creativity/originality with it on the guitar.
yea if you play the lydian mode satan will rise from the ashes and eat you.
Tool kicks ass
That would be kick-ass if you ask me!
If he would also be as nice to bring a guitar with him...
I always found harmonic Minor to sound creepy.

Yeah, back in the middle ages, if you put a tritone in church music, you would be excommunicated.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Quote by Arkane
yea if you play the lydian mode satan will rise from the ashes and eat you.
That would be awsome, what a way to die!
"An episode of Charmed entitled "We All Scream for Ice Cream" has an ice cream truck playing a tritone to attract demons so that the ice cream man can kill them." -Wikipedia

I thought that was quite funny.
Theres also Locrian, thats kinda creepy. Plus it has the tritone too. They called that interval "diablo en musica".
"Isn't it amazing anything's accomplished
When the little sensation gets in your way
Not one ambition whisperin' over your shoulder
Isn't it amazing you can do anything " - Gord Downie

From the song " Fireworks"
Quote by bluesrocker101
I always found harmonic Minor to sound creepy.

Yeah, back in the middle ages, if you put a tritone in church music, you would be excommunicated.

Duuuude! That's messed up.
R E G G A E
it is actually a myth, no one ever banned tritones in churches. with out tritones, you wouldnt have dominant 7 chords. (The third and seventh in a dom 7 chord form a tritone.)
Quote by Mikeoman
Theres also Locrian, thats kinda creepy. Plus it has the tritone too. They called that interval "diablo en musica".

like the slayer album?
^ yeah, the latin term is where slayer got their album name, they use that tritone a LOT in their music.
Quote by dark black past
A classic song which starts with this interval is purple haze.

where's the tritone in purple haze?
lydian isn't the only scale/mode with the tritone in it..

that tritone scale sounds really interesting.
Quote by TUMFP
"An episode of Charmed entitled "We All Scream for Ice Cream" has an ice cream truck playing a tritone to attract demons so that the ice cream man can kill them." -Wikipedia

I thought that was quite funny.

Charmed just won some points in my sad guitaristy little book.
Quote by blue_strat
where's the tritone in purple haze?

The very first thing played, he repeats the tritone a few times before going into the classic intro everyone knows.
Quote by dark black past
The very first thing played, he repeats the tritone a few times before going into the classic intro everyone knows.

Hes playing an octave there.
Click here to make a difference

Quote by StreetHawk
someone once asked me if i liked pink floyd's cover of korn's 'another brick in the wall'. so i beat the living sh*t out of him.
Sigh.

The guitar plays octaves

The bass plays octaves a diminished fifth higher
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
not devil scale, devil INTERVAL.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Quote by Fuzz_Face
Hes playing an octave there.

Like nightwind posted the interval is played together NOT the root then the d5 after. Its used in the sense of a two note chord.

For a song were they play the root then the tritone a modern example is the simpsons. One of my fave uses of it is the song black sabbath, plenty more sabbath songs with it but that one captures it so well. Plays the root goes to the octave then back to the tritone, unreal example of its power.

Like Night_lights posted also its all about the interval not so much a scale as the lydian scale doesn't always portray it in the sense were talking about. If i remember rightly holiday by madonna does not portray the sound but that scale is in there somewhere.

The blues scale is another example.
Ever heard of Joel Hoekstra ??

Heard this VERY WIDE diminished 7finger tapping lick by him....... and whoa it was deviliciously awesome !!
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Tritione's are formed for Dom7th chords which are used exclusively in blues, which made Blues music devil's music in early times.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by Neogioh
What is this scale:

1 m3 TT M6

Sounds pretty dark to me.

that is a diminished 7th arpeggio

the Lydian scale wasn't banned by the church, It was named Lydian scale by Pope Gregory I. He had all the chanting monks write down their scales and named them after their towns or regions (Lydian scale is from Lydia, Ionian scale is from the monks near the Ionian Sea, etc). Any harmony with a tritone was banned from being played in church.

Every Dominant 7th chord has a tritone in it, so blues and Jazz players played in the Medieval times, they would be Satanists i guess. The 2 note intro in "Purple Haze" is a tritone. Hendrix sings about angels and heaven, there is nothing evil about his music except for some sexual innuendos. Same with "Black Sabbath"'s into, that is a tritone. The power chord riff in Pantera's "Mouth For War" has a tritone.
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Tritione's are formed for Dom7th chords which are used exclusively in blues, which made Blues music devil's music in early times.

Uh, no they aren't.

They are often seen in classical, which is pretty much the opposite of blues in terms of origins.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Quote by Blackwater_35
But wouldn't it be cool if there actually was a forbidden Satanic scale

There is. Chromatics. Man was not meant to try and play fret to fret as fast as he can. Even for practice.
Quote by z4twenny
^ again, that is a myth, tritones were NOT banned from being played in church.

I've been trying to explain that for ages. No one listens.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
No but like seriously a scale so brutal, so utterly melancholic and dasterdly that only Satan could have derived it himself
satan was the angel of music, so anything remotely musical is the work of satan.
"Marty Friedman > You" Club.

Quote by CoreysMonster

Buy the toilet Hendrix crapped in for the full "Jimi Hendrix Experience"

PM me if you think my drummer looks like angry kid

so far 61 people think he looks like angry kid
though in Fux's Study of Counterpoint, he says that the tritone is banned in strict counterpoint, only because "it's hard to sing and sounds bad". he notes that there was a saying "mi against fa is the devil in musica" (mi and fa referring to notes in various hexachords).

i think that the "devil" part of the saying just means its a devil to play (difficult to play); not that its sacreligious.
Page 1 of 3