i am making a song on my own and i'm already doing the guitar and vocals but i don't have a bass so i'm gonna have to tune my strings down (if that is gonna work)
so my question is : how far should i tune down my E string and what note will that be, same for the A, and maybe the D too. i don't care if my strings play like spaghetti
thanks.
Last edited by fender&gibson at Mar 17, 2007,
I highly suggest you not to.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
use heavier gauge strings, not lighter, cos they'll snap while tuning back up. if you can, maybe dont tune all the way down.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
I'd suggest a major re-string if you were determined to use octaves below standard - put a low B in the E part and so on - but it would still be really crappy. Suggest you just play bass on the guitar as it is and drop the pitch down an octave - or accept you'll have to use a high-pitched bass.
thats not going to work. Its going to be too slack, its going to sound like shit, just have two guitar parts and one will work on the rythm like a bass would unless you were planning on slapping a guitar..
A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who aren't close-minded morons.
Quote by Strongbow
thats not going to work. Its going to be too slack, its going to sound like shit, just have two guitar parts and one will work on the rythm like a bass would unless you were planning on slapping a guitar..

hmm, yea i'll probably do that. thanks mate !
no problem bud good luck (y)
A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who aren't close-minded morons.
why don't you just borrow a bass from a friend or by god even a store just please don't do this to your poor guitar.
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Get some REALLY thick low end strings. Like at least .07's

For the tops use G's and D's for the higher strings.

Also, don't do this if your guitar has a tremolo
I'm not seeing anything wrong with an Octave Pedal...yet, go get a VST instrument or a soundfont and just do it that way if its for fun. There are a ton of ways...what are you recording into?
maybe i should have mensioned that it's an acoustic guitar, so it doesn't have a tremolo

i'll just use 2 guitar parts like Strongbow said.

i'm just using a litlle mwixing table and a 80 dollar mic, nothing else. well, adobe audition
for mixing & stuff but thats it.
This post is insulting to me.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Uhmmm.... no. Get a bass.

Do me a favor. Once you get your guitar into a "bass", go play with a real bass and see how you phail.

Sorry but seriously, get a bass.
Rhythm Harmony Melody
After all the time and effort, you're better off buying a bass.

If you want the satisfaction of working on an instrument, mod your guitar or new bass. New pickups or bridge, new paint job, turn either into a fretless (that's right, a fretless guitar).
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Quote by rhcp_freak
use heavier gauge strings, not lighter, cos they'll snap while tuning back up. if you can, maybe dont tune all the way down.

If so, your strings suck. I can like, tune down to like a so-low-there-is-no-note and back up without snapping... and I use 9s. The strings be a floppin and stuff and they're alive!
well, you could play it normal, record it, then just change the pitch an octave down. other than that get an octave pedal or an actual bass. If you tune your strings an octave down it'll literally sound like diarrhea, so i dont suggest that.
Quote by heavyairship
dying hurts

empty sig
If it's just for fun and you just want to have a bass line to go along with it, just play the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th strings in standard tuning. If you plan on recording it, just turn the bass on the amp way up, and the treble way down, and have the rest in between accordingly. If it's just for fun, keep the same tuning.
[img]http://myspace-774.vo.llnwd.net/00952/47/76/952176774_l.jpg[/img]
That's me, bitch!
You can get free pitch modification plugins on the internet for free! Seriously! It is FAR better than trying that!

I mean, fuuck, you could just use this and the pitch shifter that COMES WITH THIS PROGRAM to make a fake Bass!
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Yes I have tried that when I was too poor to get a Bass and I had to make due with a guitar, TRUST ME! Unless you are the gay love child of Jimi Hendrix and Joe Satriani, it WILL sound like shit!
i'll try the plugin and if that doesn't work i'll use 2 guitars or don't tune the strings down.
but please people, i'm not going to buy a bass for a song that's just for fun. i'm not the son of bill gates you know.
Last edited by fender&gibson at Mar 18, 2007,