Im writing a prog song called "Theme of the Honky-Tonk Samurai"

and its prog kuz it starts out with a Japanese feel, goes into country, then into a dark melodic type of thing, back to country, then to metal then i want it to go to funk

i got the entire bass line written out except for the final part, I need da'funk

so can you gimme some good examples of stereotypical funk stuff?
or if there is a formula for funk, can you please divulge?
Slap and Pop using octaves
BRIGHT LIGHTS PUT ME IN A TRANCE.
but it aint house music that makes me want to dance.
well i like to paly slap but remember in funk it's not what you play it's what you don't play. so i recomend slap, a wah pedal and just think of Bootsy Collins, George Clinton or the ghost of james brown when you play
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
yea i know, but theres alot of parliament stuff that has no slap stuff in it, and its the definition of funk.

so thats why i ask, i listen to funk, but ive never tried to actually write a funk song.
i have funky stuff, but its never been on purpose
rests
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
funk is my favorite style and the key is to think funk. funk is not just music, funk is a state of mind. you need to see the music before you can play it. as i said think of the Ghost of James Brown when you play. channel him
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
IMO, funk can be slap or fingerstyle or even pick, it's not how many notes you play but HOW you play them, it's all about sweet groove. Even a simple root/5th can be good but the groove is the most important part.
wtf?'

you guys are so right, i knew that!
idk why it didnt occur to me, its not what you play, its how you play...

i feel like a noob now

thank you guys, i love this forum now.
I prefer dead notes to rests.

but yeah as said above, you have to feel funk and the groove - it comes from deep within.

Take Hot Pants by James Brown for example. The main groove is two notes, but it sounds funky as a motherfucker.

Another great example of a busy funk line is You Got to Funkifize by Tower of Power. Simple groove again, but a different take. Rocco likes to keep his lines as busy as possible and fill the space.
Funk is a style of rythm, not notes. Add LOTS AND LOTS of RESTS! Learn to use dead notes. you can also slap, but I prefer to slap only as an alternative tone, much like switching on an effect pedal. Not as a completly new and different way to play the line.

Learn to feel out a song, and just start adding rests and funk to it!
Quote by Drmckool
funk is my favorite style and the key is to think funk. funk is not just music, funk is a state of mind. you need to see the music before you can play it. as i said think of the Ghost of James Brown when you play. channel him

Or...to quote George Clinton---Free your mind and your ass will follow...

What helps me is to think of the bass drum in funk and how the groove just seems to flow over the percussion. It is truly a state of mind.
spontaniousness (sp?) move around lots. octave thingys too
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Mute those notes, play with the drums, and be smooth, smooth, smoooooooth.

Like with a lady .

... That didn't make any sense...
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Syncopate the motherfucker.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
With funk you have to feel the groove, otherwise it just doesn't work out
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!