OK, simple question: What is an active pickup and a passive pickup? What's the difference?

I said that I was going to get a Dimebucker and an EMG 81 and someone told me that's a combination of passive and active, plus it would be too much wiring.

Totally confused here.
EMG's are active, and run off of batteries. Duncans are passive and do not require batteries.
Quote by Gaz_m2k5
Now when people say "Congratulations, I heard you just had a baby" you can say "Thanks! It was delicious."

/#1 reason for having a kid.

PSN: YosemiteSam13
I believe that active pickups such as an EMG 81 have a higher output than passive pickups. And they run on batteries. Don't know anything about the different wiring schematics though.
First of all, i suggest not the dimebucker if your wanting a dime tone. Not his real tone, and not that impressive.

Second of all, actives require a 9v battery to run, and they last for about a year. They have way more output than passives which means more gain. Passives are just the regular kind of pickups that come standard an most guitars.

Lastly, you can wire a passive and an active in the same guitar, but requires a lot of work, and usually an experienced electrician.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Fender American HSS Stratocaster

Amps & Effects:
Hand-Wired JCM 800 2204
Hand-Wired V30 2x12 Cab
Keeley TS-9 Tube Screamer
ISP Decimator
EHX Holiest Grail
Modded Dunlop Crybaby
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
bigger pots for actives. actives also usually have a more intricate wiring scheme, and sometimes have a rotary switch which changes the coarseness of the tone/volume adjusters, i think.
Songs!
Something's Changed
Frost

BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Dean Palomino Vintage Sunburst
Indiana Scout Acoustic in Sparkly Blue
Kustom Arrow 16DFX, soon to be a Vox Valvetronix 50
Dimebag Custom Crybaby
Fab Tone
Quote by LightningRider
First of all, i suggest not the dimebucker if your wanting a dime tone. Not his real tone, and not that impressive.

Didn't Dimebag use the Bill Lawrence XL500?

I'd buy those, they're cheaper, if you do plan to get a passive pup.
bigger pots for actives.

Couldn't be more wrong. Actives use smaller pots (25-100K) as opposed to 250-500k upwards for passives.
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by mcw00t
Couldn't be more wrong. Actives use smaller pots (25-100K) as opposed to 250-500k upwards for passives.

owned

But yeah, if you go with passive, go for the Bill Lawrence XL500, and if you go with actives, go with the Duncans Live wires. They are WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY much better than EMGS in my opinion.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50