not bad for a cheap solid state practice amp, as long as you don't play anything much heavier than AC/DC.

However, if you don't play anything heavier than AC/DC you could also get by with an epiphone valve junior, which is all-tube, and really quite nice for the price.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I read that those things hum like hell or something. NOt exactly sure what that means but apparently it ain't good.
^ they fixed it by switching to DC filaments. all better now.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
^ nah, the older ones did. the new combo versions, and all the head versions, are fine regarding hum.

for the price, they kick ass. i have both, by the way- a pathfinder and a VJ (head).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
How does that work? Does it have a headphone jack? That's one other thing I wanted. A headphone jack. Also, I'm guessing clean/dirty sounds come solely from the guitar right?

I'm a noob yes, sue me.
how does what work? they valve junior doesn't come with a headphone jack though. the vox probably does. check musician's friend or something like it.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

oh, yeah the vj head needs a cab to go with it. i think it's better to go that way than to use the 8inch speaker in the combo version of it.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

the pathfinder should be fine for the price. Doesnt play much heavier than like ac/dc or grunge, but it is friendly to pedals. I used one for a while, and I play prog metal. It can also power a 4x12 cab with no problem believe it or not.
Oh yeah sorry. Well, if you are looking for an amp that "has it all", the da15 i guess wouldnt be a bad choice, but I still like the pathfinder.

I used a ESP 301 for all my metal through it. But for cleans and bluesy rock, I used my Les Paul. The sound was amazing with the les paul. I pulled out some of my moms old song books,(Stones, Cream, Beatles, etc.), and the Pathfinder nailed the sounds perfectly.

I also used a Samick D56 Electric acoustic through it, and that sounded good as well. Just give it a try, I bet you wont be dissapointed.
I don't really need any cheap effects built into the amp. So now I've narrowed it further to the Vox Pathfinder, and the Roland Cube 15x
Quote by Symphonic Waves
How does that work? Does it have a headphone jack? That's one other thing I wanted. A headphone jack. Also, I'm guessing clean/dirty sounds come solely from the guitar right?

I'm a noob yes, sue me.

vj doesn't have a headphone jack, no.

Basically, the more you turn up the volume, the more it distorts- and if you want a clean tone and a distortion tone, set it up for distortion, then roll your guitar's volume control down for cleans. works pretty well.

though, if you want extra features, something like a roland microcube or vox da5 is probably better. Don't get me wrong, the pathfinder isn't bad for a solid state practice amp, but for the range of tones it's most suited to, the valve junior is better, or if you want a larger range of tones, a valvetronix or roland cube would be better.

Quote by Symphonic Waves
Is the only dif between the pathfinder and the DA15, that the DA15 has effects built in?

no, the vox valvetronix (i haven't tried them, but I have tried the cubes) has amp models. It'll have a model of fender amps (good for cleans and blues), voxes, marshalls, etc. Good for a range of tones. Whether or not you want the fx doesn't really matter, they're just a little bonus. the amp models are the selling point.

That being said, for the tones you want, I'd say a valve junior is nigh on perfect, IF you can get it loud enough to distort. However, as you say you want a headphone socket, that suggests you can't get it loud enough to distort. Grrr.

Best bet is to try the VJ, roland microcube (the old cube 15 didn't have amp models, I'm not sure if the 15x has or not, I'll look into it EDIT: the 15x doesn't have amp models either- avoid it, it's very sterile, and totally not suited to the stuff you play) and the valvetronix (and a pathfinder if you can find one) and see which you prefer.

Bear in mind, the VJ will sound quieter in the shop than it will in your room, lol.

also, the combo version (as long as you get one of the newer ones where they've fixed the hum) of the VJ is fine if you're trying to save some cash- though the head is a little better for future upgradability.

your main thing is deciding which has the better tone for the stuff you play, and then deciding how loud you can play.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?