I want a superstrat style guitar with a floating trem for hard rock, early metal and stuff like that.

So with that in mind I reckon the best two brands to go with are Ibanez and Jackson. I played an Ibanez S520EX today, which was pretty nice, but the strings were too close to the body of the guitar for my liking, but I guess I could get used to that, but I'm sure there are much better options out there.

Also pretty much any Ibanez I get, I'd be chaning to pups, as I'm not a huge fan out their stock pickups.

So any ideas for what would be a good guitar to get? And any pickup changes you can recommend?
Funny words.
Also pretty much any Ibanez I get, I'd be chaning to pups, as I'm not a huge fan out their stock pickups.

I would agree with you if you were talking about the V7/V8 pickups, but the new infinity pickups have a really good tone to them

But Ibanez guitars are all quite cheap in comparison to their rivals, so i'm sure the money saved could be spent on pickups

but the strings were too close to the body of the guitar for my liking

For that you could just change the action of the guitar
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by mcw00t
IFor that you could just change the action of the guitar

Yeah true, but I dunno if it would have gone as high as i'm used to, plus I've never tried changing the action on a trem equipped guitar, so it just never occured to me at the time to do that
Funny words.
It's really easy to change the action on a trem equipped guitar, you'll see 2 nuts holding down the bridge near where the bridge pickup is, just loosen slightly to raise the action.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
It's awesome, despite what people say, the stock pickups (i think) are really good, they're the newer Infinity ones, so they're not the screwed up V7/V8's they had on the earlier models, which is good. Also, the Edge III isn't as bad as people make it out to be, it does stay in tune perfectly, i've done many a dive bomb with it and it hasn't ever gone out of tune. Highly recommended guitar, only problem with it is, the single coil buzzes a bit.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Thing is with Edge IIIs, they don't have the range of a ZR I've tried both, I love the ZR ors more controllable too, the diving is a bit too sensitive and you cant control it and it barely goes up, the ZR is great, really.
I've not tried the ZR, but I really like the Edge III, i can whammy as high as i'd want to, plus it's set up so that i could lift up the guitar by the whammy and it wouldn't touch the body which is good cos i like that little trick (been trying to perfect it today lol) and yeah, i know, copying herman li, but it looks cool!

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
The thing is, that trick is pointless unless it alters your sound, like herman li would do, plus that trick sucks the way herman li does it, do it the steve vai way and spin arond jumping holding it by the trem!

And the ZR is very good!
It does alter it, lots, but not too much. It'd sound stupid if it went too high where i use it, i'm content with the Edge for now, and will upgrade to an FR pro if needs be

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX