I recently caught the modding bug, but I have a few questions:

In order to put more electronics into a strat, do you have to route the body? I'm wanting to add a circuit that will measure around 2x2x1 and a few more pots. I also want to save room for more experiments. Can I damage the guitar if I route it out some, and how much can I safely route it.

I took my pickguard off and to the right of the pups and above the electronics, there are three shallow holes. What are those?

On the back of my pickguard where all of the electronics are secured, I noticed that they they're all screwed into some metallic sheet on the back of the pick guard. Is that just a ground? If I wanted to add more pots etc., would I have to solder their grounds to that sheet, or extend the sheet?

I want to add an infinite sustainer to my guitar, and I also want to add a humbucker at the bridge. Would it be a problem to take the bridge-humbucker's output (instead of a single coil) and use that to drive the driver?

If I were to put in an infinite sustain device in my axe, could i still use the neck pup and put the driver right below it, or would I have to remove the neck pup? Could the driver's magnetic field interfere with a pickup that's too close to it?

Thanks a million in advance.
Last edited by flashbandit at Mar 17, 2007,
Just use your head about it. Don't route away so much that you loose half your guitar. I don't know if you can put electronics in the trem. cavity, but try it. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

What the hell is an infinite sustainer?
An infinite sustainer takes the output from the bridge pickup and sends it through a driver you have to build and put around where the neck pup is. It sends an amped version of the output back at the strings and causes them to vibrate at the same pitch they were played, giving you infinite sustain. Friggin sweet.
adding electronics in the trem cavity is a nice idea, you already got a pre-drilled hole for the ground, you can stick some more wires there i guess. And if you block your trem, you can take away the trem claw and springs, leaving a lot of space.
And the good thing about strats is that you can route away LOTS of wood, and still cover the holes with the pickguard.
I have no idea what I'm talking about. Don't belive me.
Whats wrong with an infinite sustain pedal?
The funny thing is that any wood you remove from your electric's body will lessen the amount of sustain the guitar has. More wood means more sustain (google les paul) he played with this idea & made a monster guitar (he called it the log or plank or something similar
The metal "sticker" on the inside of the pickguard is an earth but more important it is a shield, to try & stop unwanted interferance. Anything you put inside
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Quote by Dix_Fix
Whats wrong with an infinite sustain pedal?
The funny thing is that any wood you remove from your electric's body will lessen the amount of sustain the guitar has. More wood means more sustain (google les paul) he played with this idea & made a monster guitar (he called it the log or plank or something similar
The metal "sticker" on the inside of the pickguard is an earth but more important it is a shield, to try & stop unwanted interferance. Anything you put inside

Thanks for your reply. First off, what's wrong with a sustain pedal? As far as I've heard, those are never truly infinite, they die out when the string dies out. And, it uses digital processing to just make the string louder when its dying out to give an illusion of infinite sustain. The sustain system I'm putting in makes the strings vibrate forever. This system has another perk in that you can switch it so it doesn't sustain, but tries to kill the vibrations of the strings and in doing so, it makes them infinitely sustain sweet harmonics.

Also, how bad would it be to route the body. Would it affect the sustain alot, or just make imperceivable differences?
^depends on where the routing is. Routing a horn or at the elbow rest won't affect sustain as much as routing near the bridge would
I have no idea what I'm talking about. Don't belive me.
Nah the infinite type of sustain I'm talking about is digitally sampled when you press your pedal so it can sustain forever, or you set it to sustain an octave above or below to give some neat harmonics. On some you can set a frequency range to sustain so only part of your signal is sustained or like 1 string. It is just digital sampling so once sampled you can litrally do anything with it, & in real time!!
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!