When tuning your guitar to standard, make sure the fine tuner for the low E string is set almost as high as it will go, then tune to E, replace string locks on neck. Fine tune until you get a perfect E. You can then use the fine tuner to tune into drop-d. I do this on my Edge III and have no problems with the bridge being wonky etc, and all the other strings stay in tune fine.

Hope this works on Floyd Roses too, otherwise i've just made an idiot of myself...
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
I bought a second hand yamaha at my local shop and I only got it because of its floyd rose. It is a pretty old style floyd rose but works and I figured out how to do that too. I detune to drop D alot so its useful.
"See, you're born punk. When you get your first haircut, then you're alternative. Then you let it grow long, then you're metal." - Kirk Hammett
Yeah, I have 2 bands one that uses standard, one that uses drop-d, so i was like 'hey, wait, i have fine tuners here, why don't i just use them?'

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
yeah the fine-tuners work well for detuning, or even tuning correctly if you're in a shop and a guitar with a double-locking trem is slightly off.
Quote by Felkara
Dude, you just made the most intelligent post in this entire thread. Congrats.
Quote by The Overlord
yeah the fine-tuners work well for detuning, or even tuning correctly if you're in a shop and a guitar with a double-locking trem is slightly off.

That's what fine tuners are for.

It depends on the trem system... Some have wide enough range to tune to drop D, others don't. My brother's Squier Stagemaster can, for instance, but I heard of some others that can't.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
How exactly do the other strings not go out of tune when you tune down the e? Because unless I'm missing something, there is still a fundamental problem with overall tension if you downtune.
Quote by ShizNick
Ok I think we're all good now. We're on the same page, and I'm back to trying to get with his sister.

^That's how you do it, kids!
Member #3 of the Iron Maiden Are Gods club. PM Revelations to join!

I write, apparently!
When i tried this before, the other strings go sharp because you've lowered the tension in the E string.
Quote by Lukeisonfire
tool and opeth definitly dont play tube amps . You cant get those distorted sounds out of it. tube is for like beatles stuff right?

Quote by evilbeaver22
You're right, just about the only thing better than a Spider 3 is an MG : )

In my experience, the tension change isn't great enough to make an appreciable difference.
no
Quote by Pete Griffin
When i tried this before, the other strings go sharp because you've lowered the tension in the E string.

Exactly. I do it when I'm playing on my own, but I would never do it with a band, because then it would all be horrible out of tune. And there's really not that much difference in opening the nut and tuning the normal way.
Quote by ShizNick
Ok I think we're all good now. We're on the same page, and I'm back to trying to get with his sister.

^That's how you do it, kids!
Member #3 of the Iron Maiden Are Gods club. PM Revelations to join!

I write, apparently!
It doesn't work, simple as - you CANNOT change the string tension on a flloyd-type floating bridge with out sending things horribly out of tune. If you have a tremsetter, Ibanez backstop or similar then you adjust it so it's possible, same for the ZR trem, but for a normal, unmodified floyd type it'll always send you out of tune.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Congratulations, you've just made a fool of yourself.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
YES! score! with my guitar i find the other strings go unnoticably sharp, but only by the slightest amount, not enough to hear any difference...

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
^ Then you definetely need more ear training. Just leaving it slightly out of tune would be enough to throw the intonation off on higher frets.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by steven seagull
It doesn't work, simple as - you CANNOT change the string tension on a flloyd-type floating bridge with out sending things horribly out of tune. If you have a tremsetter, Ibanez backstop or similar then you adjust it so it's possible, same for the ZR trem, but for a normal, unmodified floyd type it'll always send you out of tune.

At least someone gets it. Hell, it'll happen to any floating trem (logically), my Kahler does it as well.