Im looking for an amp that can play basically anything. I wanna play stuff like Snow Patrol and then also stuff like Pantera. I have checked out the mesa boogie dual recto. Would the dual recto or a JCM series be better for this type of playing.
Mesa is more versatile I believe. They're played by bands ranging from Hardcore to Blues. While Marshall seems to be much more strictly rock based. Either one is going to be amazing though.

Some people say the Mesa Dual's don't have the same sound as other Mesa's do. Try it out, if you like it, go for it.
Whichever you prefer, they're different.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Yeah, from what I've heard Mark IVs and the like are more versatile than Rectos. But having said that, I haven't gotten near any Mesa, so don't count on what I say.
Quote by ShizNick
Ok I think we're all good now. We're on the same page, and I'm back to trying to get with his sister.

^That's how you do it, kids!
Member #3 of the Iron Maiden Are Gods club. PM Revelations to join!

I write, apparently!
It's no fact that one's better than the other. It's subjective and they do what they're meant to do quite well. Try them yourself.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
marshall for 80's tone ala metallica, mesa for modern gain. but i reckon you should try first. i think the mesa would be better for all round metal, because it caters for both vintage and modern distortion.
Gear: ESP MH250 NT
ESP EX400 ow
Ashton Dualler

Marshall MG50DFX

Jim Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
EHX metal muff
from mesa or marshall, i'd say roadking (though the new jvm might be worth a look).

however, there are other amps that are more versatile than either, IMO- engl, diezel, koch, etc., etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Personally i'd say the Mesa....Also if you're looking for something pretty versatile the Hughes and Ketner Triamp is supposed to be pretty awesome
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
you should note that both guitarists from snow patrol use marshall amps
whao dude...
Epiphone 335 Dot
Fender FM65R
EHX Big Muff
Boss Digidelay
Boss OD

AND I DONT LIKE NIRVANA THAT MUCH ITS JUST A COOL ANIMATION!!!
Apples vs Oranges pretty much

Mesa's offer more versatility, and that high-gain punch without the use of pedals, but some of them (especially the Mark series) can be a real bitch to tweak. I sat and played with a Mark III once for a while, and still didn't find the right tone for me. Definently lots of potential though. Mesa's offer a darker tone.

Marshalls are, well, the classic amps so to say. They're alot simpler to use, and it's very easy to dial in a good tone. But they excel at one tone really. It's possible to get good cleans out of them with either the right tubes or power level. Marshalls also rely on cranking the volume to get the best distortion out of them. Marshalls have a brighter tone than Mesas, but with the right speakers, you can get a pretty beefy, heavy sound. I own a JCM 800 combo, and it sounds excellent. But you'll need to crank the volume and use an OD pedal for a light boost if you wanna play stuff like Pantera.

That being said, they're both excellent. But they're different, so try both out if at all possible.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
well id go the mesa, theres a video someone posted here of some 16 year old chick whos endorsed by charvel (jogging any memories?) and she was playing a dual rec i think it said somewhere and she got an awesome randy rhoads tone.

so basically what im saying is with a bit of playing around you should be able to get an older more classic metal tone and we all already know it can do the heavy stuff.
Mesa FTW. My friend has a Triple Rectifier, and the thing is simply amazing. I dont think it can be touched, so the Dual will be almost as good.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Mesa Mark IV or a Dual Recto. Either that or an Orange Thunderverb.

Jim Root of Slipknot uses a Tunderverb with only like a chorus pedal, and a Tubescreamer during leads. Plus he uses the Thunderverb for all of Stone Sour's stuff.
Quote by FlightofIcarus
Apples vs Oranges pretty much

Mesa's offer more versatility, and that high-gain punch without the use of pedals, but some of them (especially the Mark series) can be a real bitch to tweak. I sat and played with a Mark III once for a while, and still didn't find the right tone for me. Definently lots of potential though. Mesa's offer a darker tone.

Marshalls are, well, the classic amps so to say. They're alot simpler to use, and it's very easy to dial in a good tone. But they excel at one tone really. It's possible to get good cleans out of them with either the right tubes or power level. Marshalls also rely on cranking the volume to get the best distortion out of them. Marshalls have a brighter tone than Mesas, but with the right speakers, you can get a pretty beefy, heavy sound. I own a JCM 800 combo, and it sounds excellent. But you'll need to crank the volume and use an OD pedal for a light boost if you wanna play stuff like Pantera.

That being said, they're both excellent. But they're different, so try both out if at all possible.

You could have just stopped there.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
I wouldn't know. Umm...Snow Patrol uses Marshall and Pantera (Dimebag) used Randall. Probably a go with a Mesa/Boogie.
Quote by Your41Plague12
Mesa FTW. My friend has a Triple Rectifier, and the thing is simply amazing. I dont think it can be touched, so the Dual will be almost as good.

that's dodgy logic working there... extra wattage doesn't necessarily mean better, in fact with tubes it can be worse...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
triple and duals, you cant really justify one being better than the other. i have a dual, and im trying to coax john mayer tones outta it XD
Quote by renegadeo6o6
you should note that both guitarists from snow patrol use marshall amps

i read that snow patrol's guitarists just had switched to mesa triple rectos.
A rectifier is alot less versatile to me than a two channel marshall.

I just don't enjoy them nearly as much.

The Marks are nice, but more expensive. They probably aren't the right amp for you, though.
Quote by RedHotFan182
i read that snow patrol's guitarists just had switched to mesa triple rectos.

maybe they'll stop playing insipid indie then. ah, we can all hope.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've played both a Marshall MG and a Mesa Dual Rec. And by far the MG blew the Mesa Dual Rec. away.
hahahahahahahahahaha
When you say versatile, the Mesa takes it. I only say this because all Marshalls I've heard have the classic rock- crunch to them. Any band that uses high gain to cleans have a different brand than a Marshall. The Mark series is, once again, another amp I've heard sooo much about. So just check it out, you might be suprised on how it covers genres.
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
Quote by toddpens8771
I've played both a Marshall MG and a Mesa Dual Rec. And by far the MG blew the Mesa Dual Rec. away.
hahahahahahahahahaha

that's a pretty retarded comparison, you know...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
that's a pretty retarded comparison, you know...

a joke. i think he was being sarcastic?
Mesas have alot of features and they are all handwired but, they are expensive, the cheapest one I have ever seen is 1200, For just the head. There are some new marshall that now are made with alot of features, but they are wired through a ciruit board and are not as expensive.

The most expensive marshall I have seen is the Hendrix full Stack.

So it's basically what your looking for.
Quote by Rockstar12345
a joke. i think he was being sarcastic?

you never know around here...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?