Hi guys!

For the past month or so i've really been looking into getting a new amp because my current amp sucks. It's a Marshall MG10cd, and anyone who knows of the MG series knows they sound like loads of shit piled into a small box.

I find the sound of tubes very appealing, especially the cleans. So, i've been searching for a relatively small tube amp (between 30-50 watts) that's under 600 dollars. Now, that may sound a bit of an oxymoron (cheap tube amp, haha!), but i've discovered three amps that come into my price range.

1. Epiphone Blues Custom: 2x12 speakers, 30 watts. Rated pretty well on cleans and drive, but needs and external pedal for metal. 70 lbs.

Price: $499.99

2. Fender Hot Rod Deluxe: 1x12 speaker, 40 watts. Excelent cleans, loud as hell, great overdrive for blues, classic rock, solos etc. Would need a distortion pedal for metal. 45 lbs.

Price: $599.99

3. Used Mesa/Boogie, either F-30 or F-50 (can't remember which): seems to be 1x12, either 30 or 50 watts. Mesa's are known for being incredibly versatile. unknown weight. The used one I'm looking at has seem better days (covering where the logo is located is dirty).

Price: $549.99, but I may talk down to a solid $500.

If you guys want to know my playing styles here it goes:

I use an RG321MH in weathered black. I play all kinds of rock, but mainly modern rock, hard rock, and the most metal of metal ! I've currently got my guitar tuned to Drop D, but may resume tuning in E standard if I get lessons. For external distortion I use a Boss DS-1, but I may get a Boss MT-2 before the year is up. I may also be upgrading my gutiar to an Ibanez SZ320. In an amp, I'm looking for great cleans, great overdrive, nice volume (but nothing that will leave me deaf after an hour of playing!).

I'd appreciate any and all suggestions/opinions/comments. Also, if anyone else has some alternatives to these I'd love to hear them.

Thanks a million,
RG_FANMAN
Get the F-30. I've played it and it's good, takes a long time to tweak up though and yes, it is quite vesatile.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
probably the only one that could do metal well is the mesa. but if you like cleans then fender is a close one too.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
also consider B-52. Bought a B-52 AT 112 combo yesterday for $450. It's also called the poor man's mesa recto
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
also consider B-52. Bought a B-52 AT 112 combo yesterday for $450. It's also called the poor man's mesa recto

ya but why get the poor mans mesa for just $50 less? makes little sense.. Definally recomend the f-30!
Yeah... the phrase "Poor man's mesa" Isn't too...supportive. Drives me away from buying a b-52 if anything tbh.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by RG_FANMAN

I find the sound of tubes very appealing, especially the cleans. So, i've been searching for a relatively small tube amp (between 30-50 watts) that's under 600 dollars. Now, that may sound a bit of an oxymoron (cheap tube amp, haha!), but i've discovered three amps that come into my price range.

You should know that that's a relatively sizeable valve amp. Seriously, you will never have to crank those to full, lest you wish to have hearing loss. Just thought you should be aware as to just how loud they will be.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Yeah dude. Lots valve amps at even 30 watts are pretty loud. That Fender would be LOUD. Vox AC30s are really loud too, even for 30 watt tube amps. Are you gigging? But yeah, go with the Mesa or if you like nice cleans, a Fender with a good pedal for hi-gain.
The Mesa F-30 sounds like the best bet out of those choices for what you want to play. Very nice distortion, amazing cleans. It'll do everything you want it to.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Thanks guys! I think I am gunna go for the Mesa.

Now all I have to do is save up $800 for the amp and a used Ibanez SZ320 I liked.

It's a good thing no one at Guitar Center pays these things much attentino, because most people who go there get Gibson, Schechters, Deans, Fender, and leave Jackson's and Ibanez in the back. I'll probably be upgrading to this by the end of june.

Thanks again for the help!

PS- Kurapica, I do realize Tube amps are loud, but I don't intend to be krankin the amp to full blast unless i'm playing a gig, which will be a little bit yet. Still, I want to buy a Tube amp and not have to worry about upgrading it for a while yet.
Okay, quick question about the Mesa's capabilities:

I've just started getting into the Deftones and love the song "Bloody Cape" for it's varying sounds. I'm curious whether or not the Mesa can do what Stef has his Marshalls do:

Can the mesa go from being incredibly heavy (like 7 string tuned to G heavy), then go into a very clean, otherworldy, chording sounds?

If the mesa can jump from being heavy as f**k then sound clean as a whistle (sorry for the cliche), then the Mesa will be my best friend.