I'm trying to make a surf guitar type song, and i was wondering, what characteristics make a surf kinda song? Reverb and clean tone i know. Can someone help me out please? Thanks.
delay and tremolo are often found in surf, fender guitars are preferred too usually.
watch some shadows stuff on youtube, thatll give a few ideas.
Fender American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster (2000)
Fender Classic Player 60's Stratocaster
Marshall JCM900 100w head & 4x12 cab

Korg DT-10 Tuner; Boss DD-3 Digital Delay; Jim Dunlop JH-1B Wah; Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble; MXR EVH Phase 90.
that scale from miserlou, dont no what its called but a lot of surf is based off of it
Quote by bluewilliams
.018s .

how does the neck stand up to strings that thick??
hmmmm...
compression
Quote by GuitarHobbiest
What exactly is a powerchord?

Quote by laid_to_waste
My trouser snake is friendly. If you pet him, he might even do a trick! think I'm going to hell for that one.
If it's like ventures it's regular major/minor scale. Just "feel" it out while you play along with some of their songs.
Your best bet is to write a song with a good vocal melody, then arrange it for a four piece instrumental surf band.

I like doing that because you get two songs.
Dick Dale used lots of exotic scales as well, which have become sort of signature (miserlou).
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is - Infinite.

http://thetravellingtrip.dmusic.com
^^ some sort of strange new slimey brew, its a psychedelic mess.
Check it out
I believe miserlou is just the harmonic minor straight up the neck
My Gear-
Gibson SG Junior
52' Hot Rod Tele
American Deluxe Strat
Yamaha Cg-104
Fender Twin (white)
Boss CH1
Boss OC-3
DOD overdrive
Fulltone OCD
Arbiter Fuzz Face
Vox Wah
BBE Sonic Stomp
Dunlop Univibe
palm muted solos is a characteristic of surf guitar.

i think miserlou is the Arabian scale.

think about the ocean and how it moves whilst soloing
If I remember correctly Miserlou is in the harmonic major (harmonic minor with a raised third). Theres so many different names for that scale though.
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is - Infinite.

http://thetravellingtrip.dmusic.com
^^ some sort of strange new slimey brew, its a psychedelic mess.
Check it out
Quote by sjada
that scale from miserlou, dont no what its called but a lot of surf is based off of it

I think that's melodic minor. Melodic minor is cool.
In lead playing, lots of double-stops, trill, and tremolo picking. All clean and treble-y, I might add
Listen to Black Sabbath