Hi. This is a pretty funny story about two egotistical little pricks who think they're gunna be rock stars.

A while back (like this past monday or so) I got asked to play guitar in a band two friends of mine were starting. They had one guiat player and a drummr(them) and wanted to know if i'd do guitar or bass. I said i'm pretty bad at bass, but good at guitar (go figure). They said great, and would be having practice on like Friday or Saturday.

I was stoked! I told my parents and a few of my friends. I was on a high.

The next day:

It's the class I have with the guys and the first thing they say is "Get a bass amp by friday."

me: "What?"
Them: "Yea, we can't find a bassist so you're doing bass"
Me: "I suck at bass."
Them: "Well, it's bass or your out."
Me (pissed): "I can't play bass" I lied, but I like playing guitar better.
Them: *sigh* "Alright. Practice on Friday"
Me: "Okay"

*A little bit into class*

Guitar Player: "Dude, i'm investing into a Gibson Les Paul Custom for the band! It's $3,000!!"
Me: "Why? You could get a Mesa Triple Recto for that and sound great."
GP: "When we get famous, I gotta be using a good guitar. Plus, My Tube Epiphone Triggerman sounds great. Mesas suck. By the way, you need to get a new amp."
Me: "Why? Can't I just mic my combo, or play through an extra cab of yours?"
GP: "I don't have extras. Just get a cab. And a head! and make it tube!" *leaves room*
ME:".....wtf just happened?"

Let me stop here for a minute. This guitar player brags about his ability and is self taught for like 3 or 4 years. Most of that was bass. Me being semi-ignorant about the finer things of guitar playing listened blindy to a bunch of things he said. However, I slowy realized he was full of BS. For instance, his Epiphone Triggerman comment.

Triggerman amps are SS!!! DUH!!! I knew that much! And his Mesa comment?? That's like saying that Steve Vai and Joe Satriani have absolutely no skill. In other words, COMPLETELY BOGUS!!!! Another thing: his method of attaining pinch harmonics:

GP: "Let your hair touch it! Dave Mustaine does that"
Me: *Hardcore Megadeth fan* "Really??? I've never seen him do that."
GP: "He does! Dude, I know these things!"

Now, that's a stupid method of pinch harmonics. I've read FAQS about them and know that is NOT the method. Now I realize he's full of BS. Anways, back to the story:

*Latter that night. I get an IM from him*

GP: "Dude! It's a temple tower for 35 bucks! buy one and play your combo through it."
ME: "this is craigslist. I've heard bad things from them"
GP: "No dude, they're great! I'll call the guy"
*logs off*
*logs on*
GP: "Dad won't let me pick them up. You call the guy and get them."
Me: "It's pretty far away. Plus, we're just gunna be jammin of Friday cuz we only have guitar players and a drummer."
GP "Yea, but me and *Drummer's Name* get really f*%&in loud, so you need a half stack at least"
Me: "Whatever."
GP: "Here's a link to a guy selling a Fender Performer 1000 with a Marshall cab: 200! Get it."
Me: "I don't have money."
GP: "WTF! Ask your parents or grandparents, ***** yourself out if you have to!"
*logs off*
Me: "WTF!!!"

Needless to say i never got the amps, cuz i'm busy saving for stuff I want (tube combo, guitar, metal zone pedal \m/ >_< \m/)

*Friday, day of practice. Snow storm occured leaving about 6 inches of slick, icy snow on the roads. The following occured in a convo with the drummer*

Drummer: "Practice, now!"
Me: "I'll see if I can go."
*call my grandparents for a ride, parents weren't home*
ME: "They say I can't, roads are two icy."
D: "WTF!!! Ask again"
*i call again*
Me: "No, still won't."
D: "WTF!!! Either you come over now, or you're out."
Me: "What the hell! It's the first practice."
D: "Yea but everyone's here!"
ME: "Don't you mean *guitar player* is there??? you don' have anyone else."
D: "Try the F*** again!!!!!"
*call again*
Me: "Still can't"
D: "F*** YOU!!! F*** YOU!"
*logs off*

So, in conclusion, I got kicked out of the band due to the fact me and my granparents were concerned about traversing the slick icy roads. A Few funny things though:

1. They had delusions of grandure: Yea, they though they were gunna get a deal within a year. AHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

2. Few guitar players in our school: Me, and two of my friends. The one doesn't play anything that isn't metal (and they were an alt band), and the other kinda hates the GP in that band.

I bet on Monday they're gunna want me back. But you know what, "F*** THEM!!!"

How many of you agree with me?

I hope some of you enjoyed this story.

CHEERS!!!
If your band mates start talking about fame before your first practice, you know it not gonna work.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
wow. Your friends are tools. Get to a band practice, wait till they fall asleep, because, well, that's what famous band people do all day, just play guitar and sleep... and take a dump on their chests.

And if the other guitar player has mostly 'learnt guitar for 3-4 years but mostly on bass" why the hell can't he play the bass?
Yeah man, I hear ya. I've met people like that. Screw them.
Founder of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Pot Smokers Association. PM me to join.
Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
ak guitarist doesn't dress in the morning. he kills throughout the day and attires himself appropriately

Quote by Slinov
hmmmm

personally, i would have told them where to stick it when they said "get a bass amp"

but meh

fair play to you

+1

Quote by rabidguitarist
If your band mates start talking about fame before your first practice, you know it not gonna work.

+1

I'd videotape their pracitices and upload them to youtube if I were you. Then give UG the link.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Deliriumbassist
wow. Your friends are tools. Get to a band practice, wait till they fall asleep, because, well, that's what famous band people do all day, just play guitar and sleep... and take a dump on their chests.

And if the other guitar player has mostly 'learnt guitar for 3-4 years but mostly on bass" why the hell can't he play the bass?

Cuz he's an egotistical, self-righteous dou.che.....so is the drummer. The Guitar Player beleives he's going to be a guitar god or something. He's hopeless in my mind.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

I bet,and this is not a stab at bassists, he thinks guitars will get the Girls.

That band is a joke you should have gone and stumbled through basic chords and then say. "OMG We are gonna be signed in 6 weeks and we will be in Warped and Ozzfest and all the kewl concerts they have to love this" Basic Chords again.
wow, you put up with way more than you should've. they sound like total do.uche bags and you have the patience of a saint.
Okay, guys, convo I just had with the guitarist:

GP did you get a friggin amp?
ME hell no
ME i got kicked out
ME by jesse?
ME yea
ME so
GP okay good
ME ?
GP not until you get a real amp
ME -- you
GP lol
GP we cant gig like that
GP with a 10 watt marshall?
ME good luck getting a gig
GP 10 watts
ME you still need another guitarist
ME and a bass player
Me and a sing
ME *singer
GP yea dude, i know the guy from jersey shows
ME ?
GP i already got a bass
GP im singing
ME AHAHAHAHAHAHAAH!!!!
GP we got a new guitarist
GP youve never heard me sin
GP g
ME AHAHAHAHAHA!!!
GP AHAHHA
MEAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
GP your mother?
ME you on vocals are gunna --
GP how?
ME graham
GP i used to sing in coir
ME: i doubt you can sing good
ME so>?
ME *?
ME alex sings in choir
GPalex cant sing
ME and he's as tone deaf as an actual deaf person
GP and he listens to weird bands
ME and you don't?

It's funny how in two days they magically find another guitarist and bassist. BTW, the guitarist (graham, as you could tell) has the nastiest high-pitched stoner lag ever. His singing voice is horrible.

I've lost hope for them.

EDIT: I resumed conversation for sh.its and giggles:

ME whose the guitarist?
GP mike ryan
ME who?
GP mike ryan
GP he goes to seton hall
GP he can play and hes got gear
ME i got gear
ME not what you think is good
ME but good for me for the time being
GP hes got a b-52 head, mesa cab 4"12
GP esp viper
ME btw, haven't you ever heard oh micing a combo?
ME ESP Vipers sucks
ME *suck
GP no dude
GP their sick
ME they're messed up SGs
GP so
ME b-52 amps sound pretty bad
ME used one
GP i wanna hear you play first
ME sucked ass
ME why?
ME not like i'm gunna join
GP if your better ill buy you gear
GP actually just let you use my old shit
ME like what?
ME i thought you didn't have extras
GP like ****ed up old skool peavey stacks
GP nah i just didnt wanna lend it to you
ME why the hell do i want a ****ed up peavey stack
ME your an ass
GP its from the 80s!
ME instead of lending me extra shit, you were gunna make me drop a few hundred dollars??
ME dude
ME not cool
GP yea kool
GP peavey amps suck
GP espically 80s
GP there all distorted
ME you tried to sell me a peavey amp a while ago saying it was great
ME what the hell
GP yea different one
GP that was a collectible
GP this is a 80s 5150
ME yea, sure
ME what?
ME dude
ME 5150s sound incredible
GP its shit, trust me
ME what the hell!
ME i played one
GP the tubes are shot
ME not for like death metal
ME but still pretty kick ass
GP the whole main board is waterloggged
GP or was waterlogged
ME why the hell do you still have it?
ME chuck it
GP iono
GP because the head is like 2 grand new
ME so?
GP i can part it out
GP i mean it still plays
ME if it's broken like you say it is it has no worth
ME not good
GP but it blows
ME it had water in it!
GP no shit dude
GP i got it for free
GP the cab is fine
GP iits all at my friends studio right now
ME was that waterlogged too?
GP nah
GP just the head was
ME how the hell did that happen? have the head on the ground during a flood?
GP yes my friend had it in his basement
GP the cab was upstairs
GP it happened like awile ago
GP liek 5 years?
ME dude
ME that's ****ed up
GP no shit sshherlock
ME why the hell didn't you get it fixed?
ME you can't really part it out if it's all ****ed up
GP because it wasnt mine back then
GP i got it for free
GP after it flooded
GP w.e
ME ....your friend gave you a ****ed up peavey amp, that had been in a flood....and you took it?
GP stop askin so many friggin questions
GP its a 5150
GP okay
ME yea, they sound good
GP yea
GP get a 2'12 comba
GP get that fender!
GP okay
ME what fender?
GP the one you sent me awile ago
ME the FM with DSP>
GP yea
ME i though you were like "oh solid state sucks, blah blah blah"
GP it does
ME and you want me to get a Solid State amp for a band i'm not even a part of
GP but its better than a 10 watt marshall
ME yea
ME which i'm replacing with a Mesa
GP and you cant afford a tube now
ME how the **** would you know what i can and can't afford?
ME in about a month or two i can
GP i have a tube
ME your triggerman?
GP yes
ME bullshit
GP lol not solid
ME those things are solid state
GP nope
GP ever hear of a hotplate
ME i've looked it up online
ME does it have tubes in it??
GP yupp
GP its all modded
ME that "hotplate" ???
GP has a hotplate in it
GP reallly warm sound
ME what the hell is a hotplate?
GP a tube extension thingy
GP it costs liek 299
GP makes a solid state a tube
ME ....
GP yea its weird
GP it runs you entire amp through 2 ALX87s before getting back to your speaker
GP really kinda weird
ME never head of this thing in my life
GP well appanently your not a metal heaf
GP lol
GP okay all metal bands have them on tube amps
ME what?
GP period.
ME i'm a bigger ****ing metalhead than you are
GP they sound so crunchy because theres two tube actuclly amp their running through
GP like the actuall electronics
ME why the hell would they need a hot plate if they use tube?
GP its called double vaccing or something
GP its get crunchier
GP metal tone
ME like rectifiers have those
ME no hotplate
GP doubles no
GP triple rectos might
GP iono
GP i dont like mesa that much
ME why? they sound amazing
GP neh idun like them
ME ....you don't like Mesas, and you think 5150s sucks
ME *suck
GP yes
ME what the hell amp do you like?
GP do you wanna know what i like
GP i like orange only tube, older blackfac fenders, epiphones, carvin legacys, and roland jazz amps
GP okay?!?!?!
ME Carvins are good, so are oranges, but fenders, rolands, and epis i'm iffy about
GP roland?
GP there amazing
ME meh
GP way dude

Sorry if it's a little hard to follow, i spent like 30 minutes editing for screennames.

Please tell me how much of this is bullshit.
It sounds to me like he keeps, like, changing is story to make it sound as if he is always right. I would no way be in a band with this guy. Even if you did get famous or whatever, that means that you have to put up with his crap all of the time.

edit: this is what he was talking about:
Hotplate
X Sign Here
Last edited by kossner at Mar 18, 2007,
Hahaha I love people like that.
This thread s good, i wanna hear more convo's and stories.
this guy doesn't know jack shit. If he's such a metalhead why does he like fenders, carvin legacies, and roland jazz chorus? He should love mesa's and 5150's. And that tube thing he was talking about is bullshit. A hotplate is an attenuator, it doesn't have tubes, its designed to be used for tube amps. THe triggerman is solidstate too. This guy is a jackass. Don't join his band.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
Quote by mw7
this guy doesn't know jack shit.

Jack Shit?

Who is Jack Schitt? The lineage is finally revealed! Many people are at a loss for a response when someone says: "You don't know Jack Schitt."
Now you can intellectually handle the situation:

Jack is the only son of Awe Schitt. Awe Schitt, the fertilizer magnate, married O. Schitt, the owner of Needeep N. Schitt.
They had one son, Jack. In turn, Jack Schitt married Noe Schitt. The Deeply religious couple produced six children: Holie Schitt, Fulla Schitt, Giva Schitt, Bull Schitt, and the twins Deap Schitt and Dip Schitt.
Against her parents objection, Deap Schitt married Dumb Schitt, a high school dropout.
After being married for 15 years, Jack and Noe Schitt divorced.
Noe Schitt later remarried Ted Sherlock and, because her kids were still living with them, she wanted to keep her previous name. She was then known as Noe Shitt Sherlock.

Meanwhile, Dip Schitt married Loda Schitt and they produced a son of nervous disposition, Chicken Schitt.

Two of the other six children, Fulla Schitt and Giva Schitt, were inseparable throughout childhood and subsequently married the Happens brothers in a dual ceremony.
The wedding announcement in the newspaper announced the Schitt-Happens Wedding.
The Schitt-Happens children were Daawg, Byrd, Hoarse and Bull.
Bull Schitt, the prodigal son, left home to tour the world. He recently returned from Italy with his new Italian bride, Pisa Schitt.

So now when someone says "You don't know Jack Schitt", You can correct them!
Hi Kids. Oh, btw, threadstarter, f**k those guys. It appears that even when their trying to br nice they're huge assholes.

Anyway, A hotplate is for getting more gain [ie Distortion] with minimal volume increase. At least, as little as possible. Generally used for tube amps that you want to sound "loud" but not be loud. Yeah, they are pretty sweet. my dad had one. =]

EDIT [with pancakes] :: Late for the hotplate thing. damn. i should have read more posts.

Gear:
Rickenbacker 620
Vox Valvetronix AD60VTX
Snarling Dog Whino Wah
Not Enough cables
I can't relate to the never ending games you play.
i'm not a gear expert but some of that sounds dumb. any mesa i've ever heard sounded killer. eventually they'll want you back and they'll have to beg and show a lot more humility. I thought when i saw the beginning that you were going to be a bitter little kid calling your cool buddies pricks, but i was wrong. These guys are douches.
Thanks.

It's really sad that i've only been playing for under a year yet can detect most of his BS.

BTW, the guitarist is in my gym class and kept saying to me "Get better gear! We can't get a gig with your marshall(MG10cd)."

I said, "Two things: 1, not in the band anymore. 2, didn't you get another guitarist??"

He still hasn't responded.
You're both n00bs, your old band sound like idiots. Forget them and concentrate on playing better and you'll find people to play with soon enough!
Quote by ~windrider~
Jack Shit?

Who is Jack Schitt? The lineage is finally revealed! Many people are at a loss for a response when someone says: "You don't know Jack Schitt."
Now you can intellectually handle the situation:

Jack is the only son of Awe Schitt. Awe Schitt, the fertilizer magnate, married O. Schitt, the owner of Needeep N. Schitt.
They had one son, Jack. In turn, Jack Schitt married Noe Schitt. The Deeply religious couple produced six children: Holie Schitt, Fulla Schitt, Giva Schitt, Bull Schitt, and the twins Deap Schitt and Dip Schitt.
Against her parents objection, Deap Schitt married Dumb Schitt, a high school dropout.
After being married for 15 years, Jack and Noe Schitt divorced.
Noe Schitt later remarried Ted Sherlock and, because her kids were still living with them, she wanted to keep her previous name. She was then known as Noe Shitt Sherlock.

Meanwhile, Dip Schitt married Loda Schitt and they produced a son of nervous disposition, Chicken Schitt.

Two of the other six children, Fulla Schitt and Giva Schitt, were inseparable throughout childhood and subsequently married the Happens brothers in a dual ceremony.
The wedding announcement in the newspaper announced the Schitt-Happens Wedding.
The Schitt-Happens children were Daawg, Byrd, Hoarse and Bull.
Bull Schitt, the prodigal son, left home to tour the world. He recently returned from Italy with his new Italian bride, Pisa Schitt.

So now when someone says "You don't know Jack Schitt", You can correct them!

That was brilliant!
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
Okay, I'm like laughing my head off. It's like an elementary school-girl fight going on. Tell that guitar player to get a life.
Guess what? They didn't replace me. They can't find another guitarist willing to put up with their BS. Plus, the guitarist isn't doing vocals. and they haven't auditioned the bassist.

It pays to spread the word.
How old are they?

They sound retarded.

Leave them. Forever.

Also, you might want to find an amp loud enough to be heard over drums for practicing. No offense or anything. Find something really cheap, like a used Spider II 112 (75 solid state watts) to practice with until then.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
i can't believe you havn't knocked this guy out. make sure when they get a gig your there watching so you can see them crash and burn
Aha, these people make me laugh.

My band and I joke around about becoming famous because we know that we will never be famous and we all find it humourous...aha, but seriously that guitarist sounds very cocky and materialistic.

You don't need great gear to be a good band at all.
they are pricks and you are right my friend, u should have left earlier though....i have nothing else to say on the matter
You cannot choose the little time you're given in this world. You enter bare and unclothed, provided only with intelligence enough to choose how you spend your time. You always have a choice. Always. Though be warned, your choice can rarely be undone
Bleh, I can't stand it when people put so much emphasis on gear. Maybe if they can play well and were doing regular gigs then they would need decent gear. By the sounds of things the band will fail and money invested in it will be a waste.
Quote by its_alive
rich_sg, I promote you to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. of the Pit. way to speak your opinion.

Quote by ErnieBallfists
RICH_SG you are a filthy person for accusing me of dirty trolling , you are a stiff coconut