I bought a B-52 At 112 the other day, and when I hooked it up and started playing it at home (without all the extra noises and crap) I noticed an extremely high pitched noise every now and then, similar to a pinch harmonic or speakers going crazy from feedback. I hear this sound when playing certain notes, but it is especially loud on the 11th fret D string. I am making sure my fingers arent touching the string so its not a pinch harmonic. The sound is only when playing with my gain up to around 7. Also, I can make it last really long (and go deaf) by playing 11th fred D string, and instead of releasing my finger completely, I leave it on the string without pressing it down.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this a problem with my amp? I never had this with my spider2, 212 which is supposed to be the most craptastic amp ever.

any thoughts?
WTLTL 2011
sounds like possibly a preamp tube going microphonic. Does it happen on every channel, and does it still do it if you turn your guitar volume off?
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
most likely its just loud feedback.
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
Get a noise gate, and your troubles will all fade away.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
is it normal though, that even at gain 7 you can go ****ing deaf from feedback when the volume isnt even up to 2? I doubt it.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Erock503
sounds like possibly a preamp tube going microphonic. Does it happen on every channel, and does it still do it if you turn your guitar volume off?

it only happends for the gain channel, and volume doesnt matter. I havent turned up my volume over 2, and it still does it
WTLTL 2011
I mean the guitar volume, just to eliminate it being feedback from your guitar. If it still does it with the guitar vol down or even unplugged, look in your manual, and see if there is a tube reference chart. There should be tube(s) that are directly associated with your gain channel, and they will be labeled as such in the manual. You can try swapping the tube with one that is associated with another channel, or try a known good tube, just to test. "If" it is a preamp tube, it's very easy to replace, like $8-12, and they just have pins that go into a socket. They pull directly out, and push directly in. Preamp tubes don't need to be biased.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Alright, I'll check if it happens without volume. So if it still happens its the preamp tube? And if not its something else...
WTLTL 2011
If it still does it, even with the guitar off or unplugged, and it only happens on the gain channel, it's likely that it's a preamp tube going microphonic. There are no definites, but that's what I'd look at first.
amp clips
amp vids
it happens even with the volume completely off, but I discovered it also happens on the clean channel but to a much, much lesser extend. You really have to listen for it to notice it on the clean channel or with volume completely down.
WTLTL 2011