heya, im considering buying an instructional book to help me with starting and developing walking bass lines. would anyone here recommend me any? i play fretted and fretless electric, and i can read sheet music with no trouble (if that is relevant to the book)

many thanks
i need to get a better signature.
Quote by anarkee

looks like a cool book, i like ed friedlands stuff a lot. some of the reviews on amazon.com have said it was 'too simple', ie more for beginners of bass and sight reading, which im not! just a concern i have, ill probably get it.
Ok, not a walking bass line book per se, but John Goldsby's "Jazz bass book" has a good section on this topic and is a great addition to the music library esp. if you get into Jazz.

Its also a bit more challenging than the Hal Leonard book.
I just got "Mel Bay's Complete Electric Bass Method" and its great! It teaches you modes, scales, how to read the bass clef, different note lengths, practically everything you need to know and it was £12 of amazon. Plus there is no tab thank god! So you dont have a choice of "cheating" and looking at the tab its notated all the way through
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
I'd suggest just getting a few good lessons devoted to the subject with a good teacher. I borrowed a book, scoured the web, imitated to hell and beyond, but nothign really clicked without a mentor.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
Quote by indie-bassist
I just got "Mel Bay's Complete Electric Bass Method" and its great! It teaches you modes, scales, how to read the bass clef, different note lengths, practically everything you need to know and it was £12 of amazon. Plus there is no tab thank god! So you dont have a choice of "cheating" and looking at the tab its notated all the way through

I have the Mel Bay Electric Bass Method-1 and one the back they list all their books and one is specifically for walking bass.

Walking Bass
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

Go on sheetmusicplus.com and look for the Jamey Aebersold books. There's a million of them.
Builing Walking Bass Lines by Ed Friedland.
Teaches you basically anything you really need to know
no dice.
Quote by anarkee
Ok, not a walking bass line book per se, but John Goldsby's "Jazz bass book" has a good section on this topic and is a great addition to the music library esp. if you get into Jazz.

Its also a bit more challenging than the Hal Leonard book.

that looks like a really great book, i think ill go with that one.

thanks everyone!