As the thread title says, im starting bass (probably), What would be some good things to learn, be it technique, songs or well anything. help appreciated!
I'd recommend starting off with scales. If you know your scales, you can play quite a large variety of things on bass. I'd also work on making sure you can move your fingers pretty quickly.
First, I would start learning to play whichever way feels comfortable to you (fingers or pick). I reccomend getting good at both, because they can both come in handy in different situations. Next, I would reccoment both left and right hand finger stretches. Work on being able to stretch from the first to fourth fret comfortably. If you have large hands, that's good. If you have small hands, it might take a little work. Once you get that down pat though, it will help immensely. Some theory wouldn't be bad after that, learn your scales. Remember, it is important to remember them as INTERVALS, not positions. On a second thought, learn intervals before scales. I'll give you some song reccomendations too, but beware, I only know a lot of metal.

For Whom The Bell Tolls - Metallica
Aerials - System Of A Down (not quite metal, but simple nonetheless).
A Succubus In Rapture - Dimmu Borgir (now that's a little better).
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Yeah learn all the basics, and as much as i dont like green day, their song warning really helped me build up finger strength
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by indie-bassist
Yeah learn all the basics, and as much as i dont like green day, their song warning really helped me build up finger strength

+1, great song to stretch your fingers
OLP MM2 > ODB-3 > TU-2 > Hartke HA3500 > Hartke 410TP > NoName 115
scales
finger style
practicing with metronome with all 4 fingers on your left hand.(if u are right handed)