i think i might of blown a tube.

the sound is kind of overly bassy, and its just blech, even with the bass turned to 0 and treble and mids cranked.

its a blues junior, and im using a MIM SSS strat, plz, someone post sound clips with this setting:

cranked (vol. 12) master at 2, strat at pos. 2. mids at full, bass at 4, treble at 4, also, strat has full tone, run straight through amp.

i AM running straight thru the amp, but its just not sounding good. help?

thanks!

(if you could, please play AC/DC...)
Last edited by Arlabester at Mar 17, 2007,
Yeah sounds like a tube. Possibly the amp may need a re-tube and a re-bias, thats what my amp sounded like when it happend, all bassy and no more good distortion.
well it was like at the beginning of today it was good, but now not so great.

how do i check for a blown tube?
Take off the back of the amp, if you have one, and turn on the power. If the tubes dont light up even the slightest bit or one lights up too much, it usually means you have a blown tube. But, Im not sure. There are a few websites online that go through blowing your tubes and whatnot.
How long have the tubes been in it? Stock? also just see are they all lightin up!
Quote by False_God
How long have the tubes been in it? Stock? also just see are they all lightin up!

stock.

the amp was made early 2006.

all 5 are lit up...
Ahh, you should think about retubing then cause it has been a year and the tubes are stock. Granted, I ran my Traynor YCV80 tubes stock for like 4 years, I was not smart, just cheap. Look into getting new tubes and a bias.
Quote by CarbonDeath
Ahh, you should think about retubing then cause it has been a year and the tubes are stock. Granted, I ran my Traynor YCV80 tubes stock for like 4 years, I was not smart, just cheap. Look into getting new tubes and a bias.

well can you show me 2 power and 3 preamps that'll get the job done (and stay cheap) for ac/dc with extra hardness?

also, would changing the tubes be able to have the amp get more distorted?

thanks!
^Lol 4 years? Damn, people say tubes can last 5 years? Unless you wanna have like -90 tone..lol..

But yeah, new tubes would do your amp a whole lotta good! and make it sound better.
Actually, the tubes started to sound better after like the 3rd year. For some reason they held up to really high gain in the later stages of their lives, but, they finally blew out.
Quote by Arlabester
well can you show me 2 power and 3 preamps that'll get the job done (and stay cheap) for ac/dc with extra hardness?

also, would changing the tubes be able to have the amp get more distorted?

thanks!

gargh! help me!
Oh yeah. Ummm, Euro tubes on line have an amazing amount of tubes. But you have a blues junior, so, thats 2 6l6 power tubes and three 12ax7's. I would say electro-harmonix should do the trick, for both. For a cheaper, but still good choice, sovtek power tubes and any other type of 12ax7 should do.
Quote by CarbonDeath
Oh yeah. Ummm, Euro tubes on line have an amazing amount of tubes. But you have a blues junior, so, thats 2 6l6 power tubes and three 12ax7's. I would say electro-harmonix should do the trick, for both. For a cheaper, but still good choice, sovtek power tubes and any other type of 12ax7 should do.

im an america, so i need an american retailer.
Eurotubes is based out of Oregon and blues jr.s have el84's
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Quote by yeahyeah
Eurotubes is based out of Oregon and blues jr.s have el84's

oh haha.

^not many.

so 12ax7's and el84's?

dang. nice prices.

how much would a high gain retube add (gain wise, of course)
Last edited by Arlabester at Mar 17, 2007,
Electro Hamonix are good too.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?