Names of songs I should download would be helpful. Just stuff in the style of the Stooges or Ramones. I love Search and Destroy, one of my fav. songs and the RHCP cover is amazing live.
A lot of punk is kind of abrasive and inaccessible. It's something most people kind of ease in to. If you like the early punk sound, I'd look for some Johnny Thunders, Riverdales, and Screeching Weasel. Thunders was early punk and the Riverdales and Screeching Weasel have a very Ramones-esque sound to them. Operation Ivy has a different sound (ska), but I'm almost positive you'll like them. Everyone likes Op Ivy. There's a lot of other pretty accessable/good punk out there, too. Well...here's a short list of some stuff I'd look for to get started:

Johnny Thunders - Born To Lose, All By Myself, Chinese Rocks
Riverdales - Riverdale Stomp, I Don't Wanna Go To The Party, I Think About You During The Commercials
Screeching Weasel - I Wanna Be A Homosexual, Murder In The Brady House, I Wanna Be Naked
Operation Ivy - Yelling In My Ear, Sound System, Unity
Sham 69 - Borstal Breakout, If The Kids Are United, Hurry Up Harry
NOFX - Linoleum, Separation of the Church and Skate, Don't Call Me White
Misfits - Last Caress, Astro Zombies, Teenagers From Mars
Black Flag - Nervous Breakdown, Jealous Again, TV Party
Richard Hell & The Voidoids - Blank Generation

Listen to those and let me know which of those you like. There are a lot of different kinds of punk and hopefully I can help point you in the direction of some you'll like.
Quote by Zardokk
A lot of punk is kind of abrasive and inaccessible.
Whatever.

The Lurkers were called 'the british ramones'... so you should like them. Everyone should like the lurkers though.
The Blood are just plain fantastic, www.myspace.com/theblood . Try Megalomania, Parasites in Paradise and basically al of their songs. They hve a website too but i nhave no idea where it is.
Horseness is the whatness of allhorse.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
You know it's true. I'd be willing to bet that most people who hear the Dead Kennedys or the Bad Brains for the first time don't like it. It's kind of hard to get into. Sure they sound great after a few listens, but...I dunno...the raw nature of punk and whatnot makes a lot of it hard for a lot of people to get into.
If you're looking to ease into punk, which is generally what I did. I used to hate bands like Lefover Crack and now I love them... Start with some fairly popular bands that are punk but include poppier elements like Rise Against, Bad Religion, Screeching Weasel, Anti-flag and NOFX. Then others you could look at are other fairly "popular" punk bands like The Unseen, Strike Anywhere, Dead Kennedys and then if you wanted to get into more hardcore stuff I'd suggest: leftover Crack, Blood For Blood, Complete Control, The Virus, lower Class Brats, Bad Brains, Fugazi and Black Flag.

If you're looking for a few songs to get you started, I'd probably say:

-Most Ramones stuff (even though I personally don't like them)
-Most of The Clash's stuff (again I don't really like them myself)
-Anything off Anti-flag's Underground Network or The Terror State
-Separation of Church and Skate and Dinosaurs Will Die by NOFX
-Anything off of The Unravelling, Siren Song of the Counter Culture or Revolutions Per Minute by Rise Against

I'd say these are the albums/songs most likely to turn you onto punk. Then look at some more hardcore stuff like Dead Kennedys, Bad Brains e.t.c
Last edited by Adam_Harrison9 at Mar 17, 2007,
Quote by Zardokk
You know it's true. I'd be willing to bet that most people who hear the Dead Kennedys or the Bad Brains for the first time don't like it. It's kind of hard to get into. Sure they sound great after a few listens, but...I dunno...the raw nature of punk and whatnot makes a lot of it hard for a lot of people to get into.

that's how it was for me. I went from a 14 year old pop/punk/rap loving preppy ****, then to a 15 year old anti-flag fanatic, then they kinda merged me with other punk bands that I gradually liked, and then I got deeper and deeper into the genre, reaching to Dead Kennedys, Lower Class Brats e.t.c
Dude, the New York Dolls are freaking amazing. They are like the Ramones and Stooges. Isn't Raw Power brilliant?
Quote by Adam_Harrison9
If you're looking to ease into punk, which is generally what I did. I used to hate bands like Lefover Crack and now I love them... Start with some fairly popular bands that are punk but include poppier elements like Rise Against, Bad Religion, Screeching Weasel, Anti-flag and NOFX. Then others you could look at are other fairly "popular" punk bands like The Unseen, Strike Anywhere, Dead Kennedys and then if you wanted to get into more hardcore stuff I'd suggest: leftover Crack, Blood For Blood, Complete Control, The Virus, lower Class Brats, Bad Brains, Fugazi and Black Flag.

If you're looking for a few songs to get you started, I'd probably say:

-Most Ramones stuff (even though I personally don't like them)
-Most of The Clash's stuff (again I don't really like them myself)
-Anything off Anti-flag's Underground Network or The Terror State
-Separation of Church and Skate and Dinosaurs Will Die by NOFX
-Anything off of The Unravelling, Siren Song of the Counter Culture or Revolutions Per Minute by Rise Against

I'd say these are the albums/songs most likely to turn you onto punk. Then look at some more hardcore stuff like Dead Kennedys, Bad Brains e.t.c

Don't listen to Anti-Flag or NOFX, that'll just make you hate punk.
Quote by TheAdict310
Don't listen to Anti-Flag or NOFX, that'll just make you hate punk.

Good call.

And check out some **** sparrer. They're from the east end.
The journey from pop rock to punk was a little weird for me, seeing how I went straight from Green Day and Sum 41 and was immediately exposed to Leftover Crack, the Dead Kennedys, and especially the Misfits.

Which reminds me: Early Misfits songs, particularly from the "Static Age" album, will probably be pretty cool if you like the Ramones.

Check out tracks like "TV Casualty," "Some Kinda Hate," and "Hybrid Moments."
I'm the type of nigga that's built to last
If you fuck with me, I'll put my foot in your ass
See, I don't give a fuck cause I keep bailin
Yo, what the fuck are they yellin?!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Hmmm...Check out:
-The Clash - "The Clash" and "Give 'Em Enough Rope." "London Calling" is great too, bu not really as punk as the earlier stuff.
-The Adicts - I only have "Songs of Praise." They were influenced by The Ramones, so you'll probably like them. They're quite catchy.
-Sex Pistols - Definitely check them out if your getting into punk. The day I heard "Never Mind The Bollocks..." I absolutely fell in love with punk.
-Dead Kennedys - Check out "Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables." It's one of my favorite albums. Jello's voice took a little getting used to, but after a listen or two, I loved it.
-Bad Religion - Some may say they aren't punk, but they're still awesome. Check out "How Could Hell Be Any Worse" and "No Control."
-Subhumans (UK) - These guys are awesome. Check out "The Day The Country Died." Remember these are the UK Subhumans, not the Canadian ones who I'm not familiar with. Also, of you like them, check out Citizen Fish.
-The Damned - Check out "Damned, Damned, Damned"
-T.S.O.L. - Awesome 80's hardcore, check out "Dance With Me"
-Black Flag - Another awesome hardcore punk band. Check out "The First Four Years" and "Damaged."
-The Misfits - They're OK, you may like them, idk. Stay away from their newer albums though. Check out "Collections I&II."

That should be good for now. See what you like and then go from there.
Last edited by neidnarb11890 at Mar 17, 2007,
Morning Glory and INDK are great if you want catchy political skate/ska/punk but without Stza Crack's harsh vocals, which I think are one thing that turn people off from LOC and Choking Victim.

They have some pretty great guitar work, too.

Check out these songs:

INDK:

Skaliday Road
Rallying Points
Crack Squad
All 4 1

Morning Glory:

Long Live Revolution Rock
Divide By
Return Tha Bomb
The Whole World Is Watching
I'm the type of nigga that's built to last
If you fuck with me, I'll put my foot in your ass
See, I don't give a fuck cause I keep bailin
Yo, what the fuck are they yellin?!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
for punk you should listen to
bad religion: (everything by them is pure gold)
Nofx: (same as above)
Offspring: the kid's aren't alright
The 3tards: (great canadian punk)
The Antics: Last forever
Rancid: Maxwell Murder, Ruby Soho, Alleyways and Avenues
Lars Fredrickson and the Bastards: To have and to have not
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Quote by Drmckool
for punk you should listen to
bad religion: (everything by them is pure gold)
Nofx: (same as above)
Offspring: the kid's aren't alright
The 3tards: (great canadian punk)
The Antics: Last forever
Rancid: Maxwell Murder, Ruby Soho, Alleyways and Avenues
Lars Fredrickson and the Bastards: To have and to have not

No you should. you really, really, shouldn't.
The Stooges- The Stooges, Fun House, Raw Power
Television- Marquee Moon
The Clash- The Clash, London Calling
The Ramones- The Ramones, Rocket to Russia
The Buzzcocks- Singles Going Steady
Velvet Underground- Velvet Underground and Nico, White Light/White Heat, Velvet Underground, Loaded
New York Dolls- New York Dolls
X- Los Angeles, Under the Big Black Sun
Dead Kennedys- Fresh Fruit for Rotten Vegetables
I'm not gonna lie but I got into punk in the most unoriginal way ever. guess what the first album was that got me Into punk? yep you guessed it Never mind the bollocks by the sex pistols. I'm not saying its the best album ever but its a good place to start. I would say bodies is my favourite song from that album. N.M.T.B lead me on to hearing the clash, the Damned, the Ramones,new york dolls,the Buzzcocks, stiff little fingers, Dead kennedys. the list goes on. I think its a good place to start listening to punk. it worked for me and still does
Last edited by Joe Publicity at Mar 18, 2007,
hey, ive noticed you all seem to grade punk on its level of 'punkness' or whatever, how does that work? also ive hardly ever head any punk except the DK's and theyre great, what bands are up there with them?
Quote by Charlatan_001
Uh-oh. People might mistake you for a homosexual if you buy a purple pedal.

Quote by Shredlet
You own an Rg2570E and you live in Australia I to you sir!
Well punk means something different to everyone and punk is a very hard thing to judge. As far as "punkness" goes, I guess the DKs would be at the top of the list. Why? They were very independent. Started their own label. Also wrote very political lyrics and never backed down from what they wanted to do or say. They were just plain punk. But as far as sounding like the DKs or having the same musical quality...there aren't any bands I can think of that are really that similar. The DKs were very original. Nobody sounds like that.