On my hh strat, I have the saddles on the treble strings all the way down and than action won't get lower than 2mm. If i turn the truss rod clockwise will that allow me to get lower action? I'd prefer if the action was about 1.5mm because i beleive that could be achieved on this guitar without buzzing.
fret the first fret Low E, at the same time,
fret the last fret Low E, where the neck meets the body.

with both places held, look at the middle frets.

if the string lays on the fretwire there, u dont have enough gap.
if the string is more than a credit cards thickness up from the wire there u have a bit more gap than needed.

if it's too much bend, u can work with it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I have the same problem. My strats action is much higher than my SG's and it is really hard to bend the strings. I can't lower the strings any more without the frets buzzing
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
first of all
dont mess with the trussrod yourself.
now if your action wont get lower without buzzing, but its still way too high, the problem can be on both sides of the string, it could be either the bridge/saddles or the nut. assuming its a real fender strat both should be in order - which leaves the strings and the neck inbetween.
if you're not using strange gauge - 009 to 011 would be regular, right - it leaves the neck. jj15sth explained already how to check whats up with the neck, but in any case if theres something wrong with the neck, dont **** with it. really. necks are way too delicate for that you could mess up your guitar forever, take it to a shop and just have them look at it - thats free. they'll tell you whats wrong with it and supposedly how much the repair would cost if they did it for you.

its probably somewhere on 15 bucks or so if they check everything. so its worth the money, youll get a lot better playing guitar.
I completely and utterly disagree with you.

First, guitar necks are in no way "delicate;" they're steel-reinforced planks under about 100 lbs. combined tension. We're not talking about ceramic figurines here.

Second, there's no reason that ANYONE couldn't do their own truss rod adjustments, provided they don't do it haphazardly. As long as you make the adjustments in small increments and NEVER try to force the nut beyond what it does smoothly, there's pretty much no way to do anything to your neck that isn't fixable. Worst case scenario is that you create too much or too little of a bow, in which case you just go the other way.

I do, agree, however, that the cause may be something other than the truss rod. Just do the eyeball measurement that Jenny described and you'll get a good idea of where you need to start.
Quote by jmc89
I'd prefer if the action was about 1.5mm because i beleive that could be achieved on this guitar without buzzing.

On what basis do you make this assumption?
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by bornfidelity
first of all
dont mess with the trussrod yourself.

it's not that bad really. and he;s asking how. after he takes a look, ill talk him thru it, if he wants.

now if your action wont get lower without buzzing, but its still way too high, the problem can be on both sides of the string, it could be either the bridge/saddles or the nut.

he checked the saddle, and its not open string buzz, not the nut.

assuming its a real fender strat both should be in order - which leaves the strings and the neck inbetween
not true, even Real fenders need to be set up time to time, its a part of owning a guitar.

jj15sth

not that hard to remember. but jenny is fine too.

its probably somewhere on 15 bucks or so if they check everything. so its worth the money, youll get a lot better playing guitar.

a set up is more like $45. and to get better u also need to understand how ur guitar works.
i dont mean to pick on u, but if u wanted u could learn too.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Honestly id pay the money and take it to a "quality" place and get a set-up... Now i'm not saying you should neglect learning how your instrument works in all ways we all should. But a great set-up from a tech is wonderful, they'll have your guitar playing exactly as you want it. filing the nut, making proper truss rod adjustments with the right tools, fret work ect ect... Go get a quality set-up its worth the cash.
it's not buzzing or anything, the saddle is as low as it goes. thus the action is as low as it goes which is 2mm off the fret. I have had it lower in the past and I am wondering if i can get the action lower by turning the truss rod clockwise so i obtain a lower relief and a lower action. Right now it is about a credit card thickness.
Do you really need it that low man? I mean as long as your able to play with ease you'd want the action up a little bit so you can squeeze more tone out of the instrument.
Quote by jmc89
it's not buzzing or anything, the saddle is as low as it goes. thus the action is as low as it goes which is 2mm off the fret. I have had it lower in the past and I am wondering if i can get the action lower by turning the truss rod clockwise so i obtain a lower relief and a lower action. Right now it is about a credit card thickness.

yep. 1/8" turn clockwise, (a very small amount) after u detune it a bit. and then in an hour, u retune and remeasure.
dont force a turn, and repost with any additional questions.

and wow, SS ^ why do u care if he wants to lower his action. it doesnt take anything more than one tool. and that wrench usually comes with the guitar.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Cause if ya go any lower then that the action is more of a hassel then a help. Bending, sustain all these things start to dwindle as you lower it to that extreme. I don't care either way its your instrument of course just give it some thought. A general rule of thumb to follow would be find the highest action you can play comfortably and work from there.
Quote by Dirk Gently
I completely and utterly disagree with you.

First, guitar necks are in no way "delicate;" they're steel-reinforced planks under about 100 lbs. combined tension. We're not talking about ceramic figurines here.

Second, there's no reason that ANYONE couldn't do their own truss rod adjustments, provided they don't do it haphazardly. As long as you make the adjustments in small increments and NEVER try to force the nut beyond what it does smoothly, there's pretty much no way to do anything to your neck that isn't fixable. Worst case scenario is that you create too much or too little of a bow, in which case you just go the other way.

I do, agree, however, that the cause may be something other than the truss rod. Just do the eyeball measurement that Jenny described and you'll get a good idea of where you need to start.

On what basis do you make this assumption?

Agreed * 30 and jenny don't you think an hour wait is a bit too much especially at 1/8 turns.
Quote by jj1565
yep. 1/8" turn clockwise, (a very small amount) after u detune it a bit. and then in an hour, u retune and remeasure.
dont force a turn, and repost with any additional questions.

and wow, SS ^ why do u care if he wants to lower his action. it doesnt take anything more than one tool. and that wrench usually comes with the guitar.

Absolutely wrong, you don't use your truss rod for action adjustments, you set it up for a very small gap like said before (the credit card thing), and than you adjust your action with the bridge saddles. Don't try to lower your action by just turning the truss rod, your have to set it up with just a small amount of relief, and than adjust your action (ask any luthier or guitar tech, you don't use the trussrod for action adjustments)..

Your relief is about a credit card, don't straighten it any more, you will get buzz and there is supposed to be relief. Deal with the action, or get another guitar. You won't get the other 0.5 mm without straightening the neck completely, which WILL give you buzz.
Gear:
Gibson les paul Studio faded, modded Buckethead style (killswitch, 1 tone, 1 vol)
Taylor Big Baby 306-GB
Modded Cort KX-5, runaway (neck) and warthog (bridge)
Laney VC-15
Digitech Bad Monkey, EH Big Muff, crybaby JH-1
Right on

People read these forums and start tweaking their truss rods... not a good idea no matter how bold you may be. Work from the bridge first if you can't get what you want spend a little money and get a nice set-up.
^haha, what is with this thread!

oct. he already adjusted the saddles. fine tune adjustments can be made with the truss rod. this is amazing. what do u think will happen? so what if he get's a bit of buzz. dont u think he can turn the rod the other way?
he has the right to set up his guitar any way he wants. he said he believes his guitar is good enough to go lower. why do u guys care?

it's not going to hurt anything.

shoted, yeah an hour is a bit of a wait. but i always post with max care in mind, and let the thread starter decide for himself how to go from there.

and SS u keep saying, let a tech do it. so what do u think a tech is going to do?
he turns the rod. so go ahead and pay him to turn the rod and let the TS do it himself.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I've seen you post some great things always a help ^ Nothing against anyone at all!

But it seems the adjustments like these are tossed around like an average string change. Take a look through a stew mac catalog... The sheer number of tools to set-up a guitar are astounding. You might get lucky and get it close but you have to remember wood is living thing it moves and expands and contracts and breathes, you need to do a percise quality job if you want your neck to be in a good shape. People spend their lives working on guitars its a fine art.

If you have some beater guitar that you want to practice on then by all means do so, but you should at least have some experience under your belt before working on the neck, and the only way to get exeprience is by DOING... but like anything you need to be guided first. If you had a guitar you could work on without worry and do some reading on luthier techniques and set-up that would be a great start something everyone should do.
^And that's what jenny is offering to do: guide him through it this time so he can gain experience.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by Silky Smooth
I've seen you post some great things always a help ^ Nothing against anyone at all!

But it seems the adjustments like these are tossed around like an average string change. Take a look through a stew mac catalog... The sheer number of tools to set-up a guitar are astounding. You might get lucky and get it close but you have to remember wood is living thing it moves and expands and contracts and breathes, you need to do a percise quality job if you want your neck to be in a good shape. People spend their lives working on guitars its a fine art.

If you have some beater guitar that you want to practice on then by all means do so, but you should at least have some experience under your belt before working on the neck, and the only way to get exeprience is by DOING... but like anything you need to be guided first. If you had a guitar you could work on without worry and do some reading on luthier techniques and set-up that would be a great start something everyone should do.

Luthier techniques? He's just lowering his action.
As long as he's careful, nothing will go wrong.
BTW, tools needed to adjust action and adjust the truss rod:
Assorted hex wrenches, maybe a screw driver, depending on what kinda bridge he's got, and a straight edge. That's it.