Im planing to replace the bridge pickup in my strat with a mini humbucker.(Most likely a Jb jr or a hot rails one.) The bad thing is that the pickups in my guitar(Along with the tone and volume kobs, and other things) are aged plastic (Or creme, not sure, kind of a mix) and the only pickups that would match already would be the lace sensors. So, when I originally asked about it a a local store they told me you can coffee stain the pickups by dipping them in coffee. So, im just wondering, will this work well enough, and will it damage the pickup? If it will not work or damge it, Ill have to get a lace sensor, and ifit does work then I may still get one of the duncan ones.
My setup specs:

Guitars: Fender 50's stratocaster
Old jr accoustic crap guitar.

Amp: Roland cube 20x (Going to probably be traded in for a blues jr soon though.)

Effects: Dunlop gcb-95 wah
Boss dd-6 delay
If you dip the hole pickup in coffe it will damage it. You will have to dip the cover.
I have no idea what I'm talking about. Don't belive me.
yeah im pretty sure they meant the pickup cover and besides who gives a ratts ass if your pick ups match your tone knobs as long as you can play
Quote by Izdigger
Arrrgh! The agony! Bring me a virgin and a cup of Devil's brew!

Quote by mr kipling
I can sweep with my boner.I have to use light strings, otherwise My penis will look like an emo wrist.
I've tried coffee once on some pickup rings....didn't really do jack squat. TEA!! You'll be surprised how well it works. check regularily...every ten min. It works pretty fast.
82 Ibanez artist ar105
94 Fender MIJ 72 tele custom reissue
04 prs se soapbar singlecut
97 Simon & Patrick pro flame maple
05 Art & Lutherie cedar 12
Custom Strat

68 Fender Super Reverb
78 Traynor TS200
80's Roland Cube20
Oh, and Hedborg's right...just the cover.
82 Ibanez artist ar105
94 Fender MIJ 72 tele custom reissue
04 prs se soapbar singlecut
97 Simon & Patrick pro flame maple
05 Art & Lutherie cedar 12
Custom Strat

68 Fender Super Reverb
78 Traynor TS200
80's Roland Cube20
Don't the covers for Hot Rails and JB juniors not come off?
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
^Judging by the JB juniors apperance http://www.americanmusical.com/images/d/p36397d.jpg I think that it's cover would come off pretty easy. Don't know about the hot rails though...
They are both "upgraded" strat-pups, so the smartest thing that duncan would do is to produce them in the same way, with separate covers.

Too bad this world isn't that smart.
I have no idea what I'm talking about. Don't belive me.
If you use tea, don't wipe it off straight away, just leave it for a while because I heard thats when the process really takes place, when you leave it out of the tea/stain.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Orange Rocker 30 head and a Tiny Terror

It doesn't look like it will come off.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

or you could get new pup covers that are white. nice to hear that SD's are going into that strat of yours.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Or the threadstarter could paint on a clear yellow/brown onto the pickups.

By the way, this will void your warrenty on the SD.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

Hmm, so far this seems like this isnt going to be possible. Possible risks of messing up my pickup, covers have to be able to come off, etc. I dunno, the other night I heard a emg and went "whoah", and they make a mini one for the strat. So, maybe I can just get a emg and dont eve worry about if it matches: one of my biggest problems is the sound on my guitar, otherwise its just fine, so I guess it wont matter if it matches.

Now, on musiciansfriend every page that had a emg in it said something about needed string grounding to reduce the noise; what does this mean? I may just get a emg(seems stronger sounding than the hortails.) and not worry that its black.
My setup specs:

Amp: Roland cube 20x (Going to probably be traded in for a blues jr soon though.)

Boss dd-6 delay
1. EMG doesn't make single sized humbuckers.
2. EMGs are active, and require very special wiring, as well as different pots. Mixing passive pickups and active pickups is not something many people do. It's possible, but it's something many people avoid.
3. EMGs DON'T need to be grounded to the bridge, or "string grounding" as you put it.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

Quote by Will_Minus
1. EMG doesn't make single sized humbuckers.
2. EMGs are active, and require very special wiring, as well as different pots. Mixing passive pickups and active pickups is not something many people do. It's possible, but it's something many people avoid.
3. EMGs DON'T need to be grounded to the bridge, or "string grounding" as you put it.

1. this appears to be single coil sized. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/EMG-S4-Heavy-Duty-Rails-Passive-Single-Coil?sku=308020

2. Whats bad about mixing them? I rarely use 2 pickups at a time on my guitar. Also, are there still wiring guides for them?

3. Okay, it said you may need it, but I guess not.

Also, on musiciansfriend it says "This HZ pickup has EMG's exclusive 5-wire Quik-Connect output allowing any number of wiring combinations," so is it possible to wire it like a normal pickup?
My setup specs:

Boss dd-6 delay
Last edited by 50's strat at Mar 19, 2007,
EMGs are not to be mixed with passives. Get a passive EMG. They apparently still sound good, If they're good enough for Laiho, they might appeal to you.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
^ The pickup is passive. Ignore all I said about active pickups.

I'm sure you can wire that pickup like a normal.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

Quote by Will_Minus
^ The pickup is passive. Ignore all I said about active pickups.

I'm sure you can wire that pickup like a normal.

Okay, so how accurate is a wiring guide like this?
My setup specs:

Boss dd-6 delay