I am a big fan of Ibanez but I don't quite get what justifies the $2000 price tag of them JEM...It does not seem any better than the higher end RG Prestiges. Anyone out there who owns a JEM, I'm in no way bashing your gear, I just would like to know why it is one of the "holy grails" of guitars. I can imagine it sounds great , but I mean, is it so coveted mainly just cause steve vai uses it?
You're paying alot for the license of course. But they have great materials and are really well made, the same things that justify the price of any guitar.

But in fairness, alot on the name and quirks of design.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
yeah, monkey grips are expensive!
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
yeah, I realize its alot for the name, but even still, I mean...what else differentiates it from the high end prestiges. The built in handle is kind of gimmicky cause I'm sure anyone who would invest so much in a guitar would certainly not carry it like that.
I guess the inlays cost a bit more I guess and the pickups and what not are tasty. I guess there's money going into R&D as Vai changes his mind on pickups and neck shapes.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Your paying for Steve Vai's signature..... I would never buy someones signature model guitar for that very reason....
Quote by goatslullaby
Your paying for Steve Vai's signature..... I would never buy someones signature model guitar for that very reason....

Eh, I dunno. I bought my Paul Gilbert sig on the strength of the guitar. It's got proper DiMarzio's in it (not DiMarzio/Ibanez), a 5 piece neck, decent hardware (including the hardtail I was after), a prestige hardcase and one of the best playing experiences I've ever had...for the same price as similar Prestige guitars.

You've just got to weigh things up from guitar to guitar
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Your paying for Vai's name, obviously. Plus, the little custom features he has on it, like the lion claw cut-out, monkey grip and the vine of life inlay.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
Quote by Metalology
Your paying for Vai's name, obviously. Plus, the little custom features he has on it, like the lion claw cut-out, monkey grip and the vine of life inlay.

and the dimarzio evolution pups, i'd rather get the carvin legacy amp than the jem
Nothing really

I mean their great guitars but they are certainly overpriced! They should run for around 800-900.
*Weighs Paul Gilbert's sig guitar in one hand and Vai's sig in the other*

It's overpriced imo. It's got a sweet trem, nice inlays, and dude...monkey bar, nothing can beat that. It's just Vai's sig and they are always going to be overpriced....
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Over priced, but still awesome none the less. I'd rather just get a fully loaded Petrucci Sig though.
I'm back, you douchebags.
^ That'd run you so much more... my jaw kind of fell open when I saw the MSRPs for the Petrucci sigs. They're like 3700 fully loaded!
no
The Malmsteen strat is fantastic too

One of the few id buy as well, id like a Jem too if they were priced right.
Who could forget Eric Johnson's strat?

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
i would so pay for Kiko Lirourieou (how the **** do you spell it) ESP sig guitar it just looks so ****ing awesome. and if Peter Joseph had some Caparison signature models with maple fretboard i would have to buy them as well
i guess it cost about $800 dollar to make that fukcing monkey grip, haha. what is that thing for anyway
Quote by rixills
i guess it cost about $800 dollar to make that fukcing monkey grip, haha. what is that thing for anyway

its to hold the guitar, how useful well not very imo just do it herman li style and use the whammy bar
the jems are so worth it though, have any of you seen the new jem 20th anniversary model, it is teh sex
member of the AUSTRALIA FTW! Club. PM the_random_hero join. Australians only

Feel the Rhythm...
^+1

Wtf is with the paint.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
:O ur just jelous cause you'll never get one, its the sexist guitar

Feel the Rhythm...
^rofl.

Just saying though, and you're right, I WILL never own one. Not because I don't have the money (actually, i don't have the money -_-) But It's just not my cup of...hawaiian punch >_>.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by jimi_vai
:O ur just jelous cause you'll never get one, its the sexist guitar

haha no a Caparison Thundercloud is the sexiest guitar, i aint jealous i'm ****ing right dude. and btw your unlikely to get one either
^yeah, fair enough. by the way i tried an orange the other day and loved it

Feel the Rhythm...