My amp is a Kustom solid state combo (DFX65). When I got it I was after something with a decent clean sound and a decent lead channel. It sounded good for a solid state amp so I got it. The lead channel works for Led Zeppelin, Ac/Dc, old Ozzy(Crazy Train and other Randy Rhoads stuff), and even some Underoath. It doesn't quite have the sharpness and gain for stuff like As I Lay Dying, Atreyu, Killswitch Engage, and other sort of sounds. I've heard how using level on a distortion pedal can boost a tube amp's gain with nice results and that overdrive pedals sound good with tube amps. Thing is my amp is solid state. A tube amp is not in the picture. My parents are close minded about musical gear and given our own monetary position they've given me a lot. They're going to get me a nice acoustic guitar so this is going to come out of my pocket. What could I get to boost my gain for between $30-$60?
I hear ya dude, gear is expensive. I have a DOD Death Metal and DOD Grunge pedal that worked decent for me when I had a 25w Fender Frontman. The problem is, I think they are discontinued so they might be hard to find. They should only be $30-40 though. Digitech also has a Death Metal and Grunge pedal that look the same so they probably own DOD? so check those out too. And the Death Metal is pretty versatile, not just for DM.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DigiTech-Death-Metal-Distortion-Pedal?sku=150835

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DigiTech-Grunge-Distortion-Pedal?sku=150834
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser w/ EMG 81-85 Humbuckers
Peavey 6505+
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 4x12 Slant Cab w/Vintage 30's
BBE Sonic Stomp
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-7
Danelectro Fish N' Chips EQ
Overdrive pedals are great for boosting tube amps, but not so much solid states. You could use one for a warmer, bluesy tone on a solid state, but that's about it.

Your best bet for that kind of money is just to pick up a decent distortion pedal and use that on the clean channel. The BOSS DS-1 is nice, and only costs about $40 or so.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
look for pedals on ebay. try a boss hyper metal. awsome, rare, and shouldn't be too expensive.
Thanks for the input. Well depending on how patient I am I could maybe get something at around $80. My mom wouldn't be happy about it though. (She thinks paying $50 dollars is unheard of for a piece of metal you plug into your amp to make nifty little sounds.)
Quote by sg4ever
Thanks for the input. Well depending on how patient I am I could maybe get something at around $80. My mom wouldn't be happy about it though. (She thinks paying $50 dollars is unheard of for a piece of metal you plug into your amp to make nifty little sounds.)

hahaha i fell ya, my moms exactly the same
Get an EQ pedal like the MXR 6 Band. Should provide all the boost and tone shaping you need. Other recommendations : MXR Micro Amp, Rocktron Nitro Booster, Electro Harmonix Linear Power Booster
Quote by FlightofIcarus
Overdrive pedals are great for boosting tube amps, but not so much solid states. You could use one for a warmer, bluesy tone on a solid state, but that's about it.

Your best bet for that kind of money is just to pick up a decent distortion pedal and use that on the clean channel. The BOSS DS-1 is nice, and only costs about $40 or so.

Bullshit. You can boost the crunch channel on a SS as you would a tube amp (doesnt sound as good because its ss distortion). My younger brother has a SS for his dorm and I lend him my OD all the time. Tightens the amp up no different from how it works with either of my amps.
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude