Hey guys I know I'm new here but I've been reading around (and tried to search and see if someone had asked something like this but there was some error that kept popping up) and thought hell, I'll just ask...

Is it possible to get a nice guitar that will last me and age for ~$700? I keep hearing for that price range look to Alvarez's (which i'm not really inclined to) or Breedlove's (not knowledgeable about) as opposed to the Martins/Taylors (DX1/DM or 110/210 respective). I've heard the Martin *X's fall apart after a few years, and some believe both Martin/Taylor lower-end models are not worth it.

However, not worth it in the sense of quality or not worth it in the sense of sound? I may be naive but wont a quality built guitar only sound better and better as you play it over the years? So my question is are the Alvarez's and Breedlove's quality to last me for 20 years? Or would I be better off getting a Taylor that may not sound as good today but will over the years and will still be alive in years to come?

I'm never going to be a knock-out musician or play concerts (that I can forsee), I just love to play for myself, my friends, on a summers eve around a campfire... So I just want something that will sound good, yes, but last for the long haul and that I can hold on to and grow with... I have a few people's opinions already but just was wondering what you guys thought - and the nearest shop is a ways so I want to have a play on all possibilities when I go. Thanks,

-bazzel
haha u got some of that a little wrong. The Taylor sounds good, but the features you get out of it are amazing.
Ok, well thats kind of what I was asking... Then why do people seem to recommend the Breedlove's/Alvarez's over like the Taylor 110?

-bazzel
The taylor 110 just inst a very good guitar. It's not that bad, but still... Breedlove and Alvarez tend to be a much better value. The taylor 210 is a good guitar. The X searies guitars martin makes will hold up if you keep them under ideal conditions, but most of us can't which is why the martin X searies guitars fall apart. I for one, am very against martin X searies guitars. If you are not fond of Alvarez sound then don't get an Avarez. They are good and all, but you need something that sounds good to your ears. The breedlove guitars have a sound all their own. If you haven't played a breedlove guitar I suggest you get your hands on one before you buy one because it might sound too "piano like" for your liking. Then again, you might think it sounds great. Breedlove guitars are built to last, and their internal trussrod makes them immune to many problems that happen with other guitars.
Not taking any online orders.
I take care of my stuff but requiring ideal conditions is just unreasonable and I probably couldn't... And I don't know the Martin D15 is getting expensive... So you think if I aim in the Breedlove AD20/25 or Taylor 210+ range I should have something that will last? If thats the case I think I can swing up 'round 800 if I must... And yeah, definately sound is a big factor I know, but I want something I can like the sound of for a while hehe. Thanks again,

-bazzel
Quote by bazzel
So you think if I aim in the Breedlove AD20/25 or Taylor 210+ range I should have something that will last?

Yeah, the ad25 and the taylor 210 are both quality guitars that should last a lifetime, if you take care of them. The AD20 will last a lifetime too, but it doesn't have a solid back and I suspect that if you keep playing then you will someday want a guitar with a solid back.
Well... a Martin could be nice, considering the fact that you can eat for less than 6 bucks a day at mc donald's...
ZZZOMG!!!
FUZION

Quote by jimmy, the one
I haven't played anything except Master of puppets by Metallica
They're death metal arent they?

{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-
O RLY?
See the thing with the whole low end Martin and Taylor deal is that, Yes the guitars are fine in most instances. But for what you are paying for them they are not good value for money. It's the same with everything, some people/brands do different price brackets better. Martin and Taylor do the higher prices very well, but when you go down to the lower end, you are paying for the name on the headstock. You can get much better guitars for the same prices as those Martins and Taylors.
Just one real quick thing I'm noticing the Taylor 210/214 are all solid wood while the Breedlove Atlas series (like the 25's) have laminate sides... In you're opinions you dont think that will really be a long-term quality issue? I guess I'm just not knowledgeable enough. Thanks,

-bazzel
The laminate sides probably won't cause you any kind of quality issues. However they won't age like the all solid woods of the Taylor. I'm not a very big fan of low end Taylors though. Just seems like a lot for a little as with the low end Martins. Try out a Blueridge too if you get a chance. I particulary like the BR-183 (if you don't mind 000 size) for that price range you actually get solid sitka top and solid rosewood back and sides. Or the BR-140 solid spruce with solid mahogany back/sides if you prefer the dreadnought.
Quote by bazzel
Just one real quick thing I'm noticing the Taylor 210/214 are all solid wood while the Breedlove Atlas series (like the 25's) have laminate sides... In you're opinions you dont think that will really be a long-term quality issue? I guess I'm just not knowledgeable enough. Thanks,

-bazzel

Laminating the sides doesn't lower the quality of the guitar. Some people actually think laminated sides are better. Not only does it make the guitar more durable, Laminating the sides will also give you more cut and volum. On the other hand, solid wood sides are slightly warmer. The difference in tone isn't big, but you can hear it.
If you want solid woods look at either:

Guild chinese made guitars- beautiful solid rosewood and spruce, folk and dreadnought bodies, 529-750 dollars, real wood binding, nice inlays.

Epiphone Masterbilt series- 499-800 dollars, all solid woods (mahogany and spruce), nice looks but honestly, it's still an epiphone...

I have a Taylor 110E. I get nothing but compliments on this 699 dollar guitar, both on the sound and the look. It's a good guitar with a solid top and laminate sapelle bacl and sides and a nice PU. I'm a coffee house folksinger and aspiring songwriter, and it's great for my purposes.

good luck!

My Gear:
Taylor 110E acoustic/electric
Squier Standard Telecaster
Squier '51
Crate practice amp
Lee Oskar harmonicas
Quote by Drewfolksinger

Epiphone Masterbilt series- 499-800 dollars, all solid woods (mahogany and spruce), nice looks but honestly, it's still an epiphone...

Um, maybe in name. When I was choosing a new acoustic, it was between the Epiphone AJ-500M and the Taylor 110. I ended up getting the epiphone because of it being all solid wood (it can only get better with age). Also, to me, it just sounded better.
Thanks guys for all your input/info, I really have quite a bit to go in with which is good. And it's nice to at least be knowledgeable enough not to limit myself based on any false pre-concieved notions and then later kick myself haha

-bazzel
Taylors are very nice and are very well built. Go to there website and look around for the Factory Friday videos. It shows them building guitars, sourcing the wood, and how the bolt on neck works. They were what finally convinced me to buy a Taylor.

The Breedlove's are awesome guitars for the money though. Every bit as good as a Taylor and you get a lot more features (bling) for the money. If you get one of the Plus Breedlove's it'll come with a case that'll make you drool. They are flat out the nicest case I've ever seen come with a guitar. At least as nice (but probably a little nicer) than my deluxe Taylor case.

Taylor's are made in the USA and you pay for it. They also have a lifetime warranty. Breedlove's are mode in Korea or some other similar Asian country.
Taylor GS8 Rosewood/Spruce
Did they change the Taylor 200 series? On the Taylor website it lists sitka top but laminate sides/backing... But on guitarcenter, samash, etc it lists sitka and sapele sides/back... Thanks,

-bazzel
Glad to see someone finally agrees with me on the Guilds. They deserve a hard look in this price-range. A LOT of guitar for the money....
Quote by bazzel
Did they change the Taylor 200 series? On the Taylor website it lists sitka top but laminate sides/backing... But on guitarcenter, samash, etc it lists sitka and sapele sides/back... Thanks,

-bazzel

It must be a new change then. That means there will be some out there that are laminated and some that are solid. If you get one, make sure it's solid, otherwise it isn't really isn't worth getting. There are a lot of solid back and side guitars out there in the 800 range so there really is no reason to pay that for something laminated.
^--- the newer ones are coming with laminate indian rosewood sides and back... the older ones (through last year) have solid sapele back and sides... so they shouild be pretty easy to differentiate between.
eh, i think that more than often the taylors and martins are waayyy over rated. especially their low end stuff. the bolt on neck on the low end taylors (big baby) is a piece of crap, and will cause neck problems within a couple years (i know from experience). the name on the headstock and where the guitar is made doesnt mean crap, and anyone that says otherwise probably doesnt know what they are talking about.

the very best thing to do is to go play some guitars in your price range without paying attention to what the woods are or what the name is on the headstock, etc. play the one that sounds good to you. any guitar in the 700 dollar range will probably last a while if taken care of decently.
Ok, I figured that must've been what was up... That kinda sucks, maybe there are still a few floating around I can give test. Like I said I'm definately not set on brand, and it sounds like laminate siding might even be a better idea as far as durability goes, so we'll see... Nick you put it right, and I think everyone else so far would agree, I just need to go play some and see what feels and sounds right. I just need to go in with enough possibles that I don't miss one, its a pain to get to a bigger store where I'm at. Thanks once more,

-bazzel