I saw Warwicks new bass which is supposed to be specifically made for the F# tuning and while I think that it is kinda cool, I don't think there would be a place for it in music except maybe in funeral doom metal or any of those ambient genres.. any thoughts?
Besides extreme metal, I see no use for it. Maybe this new wave of super-low tuned hardcore/deathcore bands, playing in drop B, B std. and drop A. Besides those two, I don't know wtf you'd do with that .175 guage low F#.

...maybe some slap-death-funk?

EDIT: Imagine that bass with an all tube head and a 1x18 cab? The Earth would crumble, heads would explode, women would orgasm everywhere. It would be the greatest catastrophe ever.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Last edited by hatebreed219 at Mar 17, 2007,
Probably but really you never know unless you try it. But yeah, it's definitely geared for low tuned metal.
Quote by hatebreed219

EDIT: Imagine that bass with an all tube head and a 1x18 cab? The Earth would crumble, heads would explode, women would orgasm everywhere. It would be the greatest catastrophe ever.

WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
http://www.conklinguitars.com/accessories.html
Enter, the metal 6 string Bass.
Tuned F#, B, E, A, D, G (standard 4ths starting at F# in the 0 octave)
And if you think that is insane, if you havea good 100$ to spend, you could get that thinged tuned C#, F#, B, E, A, D! :0

My god I want a bass tuned to that, just so I can make womens panties explode with the sheer vibratory power! D:
Quote by hatebreed219
Besides extreme metal, I see no use for it. Maybe this new wave of super-low tuned hardcore/deathcore bands, playing in drop B, B std. and drop A. Besides those two, I don't know wtf you'd do with that .175 guage low F#.

...maybe some slap-death-funk?

118? Screw that

121. That's where the G-spot is located.
haha
is that even practical? I mean, even for those genres?
^_^
For some reason I have a feeling there will be/already are grind/grindcore bands that are experimenting with F# tunings.

And Fast_Bear, I think he was talking about a 1x21 cab...not string thickness, although a 195 is disgusting.
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
The Low B can be used rarely
But low F#?
Really, arent we taking this a bit too far?
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Low B used rarely? Listen to more death metal my friend.
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
I guess nobody has ever heard of Bill Dickens or Chuck Rainey. Oh well. Anyway, you need no less than a 21" speaker to reproduce a low F# properly. A low B vibrates at 30Hz, and 18" speakers go as low as 28Hz (a perfect match). A low F# vibrates at a hell of a lot less than 28Hz. If one isn't willing to buy a 21" sub, they I'd avoid the F# if I were you.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
See, there's this jerk named Jaquo-XIII who usins C# tuning. His bass is tuned C# F# B E. He has a website where he has an article called the C# theory where he goes over all that. Check it out.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
See, there's this jerk named Jaquo-XIII who usins C# tuning. His bass is tuned C# F# B E. He has a website where he has an article called the C# theory where he goes over all that. Check it out.

Why do you call him a "jerk"

Jauqo III-X has done some pretty original stuff.

And I was speaking of a 21" speaker, not gauge string. .121 is less than my Low B string.
haha
Oh, I just think he's a jerk because he uses a c# tuning. I've heard his stuff and for me it's just being different for the sake of being different. And besides, calling yourself Jauqo is like a guitar player calling themselves Jymmie Hendrickx.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Could you even hear a note that low? My dog might be able to, but I'm not sure I could...

And I just realized that "note" and "tone" are anagrams of each other. Cool...
I don't think you can even make out the fundamental of a low B... I believe the human hear rolls off at about 32Hz. You can feel it, however.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was going to mention that JauqoIIIX guy, especially since he doesn't play in an extreme Metal band, just grooving away, or what ever he does (haven't heard his work).

Oh and this Warwick Bass confirmed my thoughts that Meshuggah's Bassist uses the same tuning as the Guitarist but of course in 4ths and octave(s) lower (there was a brief discussion in the Metal forum and one other memeber [a Guitarist, of course] seemed pretty convinced that the Bassist just played similar notes on a low B).

*If you didn't know, Meshuggah is the first (to my knowledge) established Metal band to use F standard (the Guitarists got custom 8-Stringed Guitars made by Ibanez - some one is jealous of Bassist's range, lol ) as there tuning - the F being F# half a step down.

And on the topic I think most of you are being a little closed minded about the prospect of using that type of tuning. I mean I see where your coming from if you just picture a bunch of -core bands thrashing their little picks away at a low F# through crappy amps (thump thump, boooommmmm woof woof thump!!!!! ).

If you just look at how some of the Extended Range Bassists use these types of tunings (yes thats right they don't just whack Guitar range strings on their instruments ) and think how fat some Bass lines could sound, or how much range you'd be covering - it can be good, I guess is what I'm saying.
Quote by Kepulix
I love the sound of doom in the morning, it sounds like... victory
Quote by watchingmefall
35"... I wonder how's the tension.

That's a good question. I mean, the F# string is a .175! On eBay, the F# strings on 7 and 8 stringers are .145. The jump from the B string on the Dark Lord to the F# string is a whole .040! The jump from the E to the B is .030, and from the E to the A is .020. I think they did their math in order to make the tension balanced.

But that makes me wonder... can super-thick strings compensate for the Novax Fanned Fret System with super low notes?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by Deliriumbassist
watchingmefall- 35"

monkeybassist- thank you, brother... there ain't nothing wrong with lower tunings whatsoever. Many celebrated bassists use low tunings- Ryan Martinie, Fieldy (celebrated to an extent), Murderface....

If lower tunings are bad, then 5 string Basses are wrong!

To be honest, I always wanted a Bass tuned C#, F#, B, E, A ,D or something
Being as I'm the only person here who's played the Dark Lord (Be it very short and acoustically) I gotta say this - It's a bass set out to do that low-tuned Metal thing, and due it it SHALL. If Warwick were smarter, they'd make a HIGH QUALITY version of this to sell for roughly 1k (If Conklin can sell a 7 string for 1k, Warwick can do this). They'd get so many metal bassists buying it up it'd be ridiculous.

The string tension wasn't that bad, but with strings that big, if you aren't careful you can easily hit a floppy F#.
haha
ok i think this bass will be used more in rap/R&B music than metal i mean the bass on all the new songs are already SUUPER low and they seam to be getting lower evry year.
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E